ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 157 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

Why would Duke and GT be ahead of Syracuse? Duke has a trash football brand and GT hasn’t been relevant for as long as Syracuse. Syracuses fan base is much larger than GT and doesn’t butt up against the much more lucrative Georgia brand. Picking up GT doesn’t win you any additional market share and interest.
Duke is last in eyeballs for football. I’m sure there’s an argument to be made basketball makes up for it, but they aren’t an SEC brand at all.

10th in Football viewership since 2015. 6th last year.

If we can be consistently decent, at the very least, we do draw viewers. When I looked quick yesterday, when we play bigger name schools the matchup is one of the higher rated ones each week. Is that solely because of the other team (like when playing ND), doesn't hurt obviously but I think the overall matchup is still important.

We are a brand. We will be fine. We are in the top half of the ACC in eyeballs. It’s some of the legacy ACC schools that might need to be worried.
We don't know what we are right now. Our "brand" may not mean as much as we like to believe.
Looking at the B1G map of schools, and even with the West coast additions, SU would be perfectly placed to secure a NYS spot in the B1G.
So of course, thats why it'll never happen.
Sad.

We don't know what we are right now. Our "brand" may not mean as much as we like to believe.
Looking at the B1G map of schools, and even with the West coast additions, SU would be perfectly placed to secure a NYS spot in the B1G.
So of course, thats why it'll never happen.
Sad.
I think a lot of you are showing your typical Syracusian pessimism. The smart move right now is to stay put. We have the coaches in place to make us entertaining in the near term.

I’m also a big believer that TV money is going to dry up. Sports are getting less popular with younger people.

Interesting. Thanks for this. I've been using mediums.com lists. Definitely some notes for each list.

WHY ARE PEOPLE UNDERESTIMATING THIS PROGRAM. When this teams win - people in the Northeast watch.
What struck me here is nobody in the state of North Carolina cares about football. It’s pretty much a basketball only state.

I have 17 pages to catch up on but a couple thoughts come back to mind repetitively.

SU’s lucky in our current position.

FSU can kiss my ass

If we want to make more money and be more attractive, we have to win games.

Attendance and viewership is NOT an issue for SU. Program performance is.

Interesting. Thanks for this. I've been using mediums.com lists. Definitely some notes for each list.

WHY ARE PEOPLE UNDERESTIMATING THIS PROGRAM. When this teams win - people in the Northeast watch.

Exactly. That’s with many casual fans having no idea when the team is playing and who the players are. I think we’re headed In the right direction.

I have 17 pages to catch up on but a couple thoughts come back to mind repetitively.

SU’s lucky in our current position.

FSU can kiss my ass

If we want to make more money and be more attractive, we have to win games.

Attendance and viewership is NOT an issue for SU. Program performance is.

More winning/success and we could even sit top 4 in that viewership chart.

relevant to the graph you shared.
As someone who does this for a living, these armchair ratings analyses are very flawed. You can’t just take straight averages and project them to revenue or whatever. There needs to be a ton of controls put against the data, including opponent, telecast channel, seasonality, etc.

If Wake scheduled 4 elite P5 OOC opponents each year, and they were all aired on broadcast channels, guess what?… They’d have the highest average TV audience in the conference.

Moreover, it wasn't even an option for Cuse to wait it out for a B1G invite. As soon as the ACC mentioned they were exploring expanding, Cuse was at the top of the short list due to the 2003 expansion drama and how close they were.

Would Cuse have been better in the B1G? Sure - but that's such a huge revisionist statement. We were always bound for the ACC.
The ACC always was a better fit for SU in its mix of private and medium size state schools.

As someone who does this for a living, these armchair ratings analyses are very flawed. You can’t just take straight averages and project them to revenue or whatever. There needs to be a ton of controls put against the data, including opponent, telecast channel, seasonality, etc.

Given your background and out of curiosity how would you see these rank when properly calibrated? Roughly that is.

If Wake scheduled 4 elite P5 OOC opponents each year, and they were all aired on broadcast channels, guess what?… They’d have the highest average TV audience in the conference.
I gathered this. Still interesting numbers. No doubt FSU cut this up to be to the best of their advantage.

So if reports are basically correct O and W are getting ACC type money from the B1G (as are the new Big 12 schools). If that's the case and if that's the going rate why is everyone so worried?
The ACC paid out $42MM. Washington and Oregon are getting $30MM with $1MM increases annually during the current deal. The Big 12 is paying $31MM to the new schools. I believe the ACC is still paying more.

I appreciate the question but I can’t share something like that. People get paid quite a lot to do that analysis for networks and conferences.

Understood. Your response to 0307 says more than enough without sharing things you can't.

Fair enough. Just an interesting way to present revenue sharing to keep the ACC together. I'm still having trouble believing the averages from the FSU presentation.

Fair enough. Just an interesting way to present revenue sharing to keep the ACC together. I'm still having trouble believing the averages from the FSU presentation.
I’m a firm believer that disparate revenue sharing of that degree would doom the ACC fast. There could be performance incentives at the margins. But to have a system with a discrepancy of tens of millions from top to bottom is an awful, awful, awful idea.

The next play here is that one conference will start to align the mega teams and break away from the nonsense of these also rans altogether. If they keep it in one big 25-30 team league it will start to look like a relegated soccer model. The cultural fits don’t matter anymore. Ohio state, Clemson, Georgia, Bama, Michigan, FSU will all be together soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom