ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

{snip}

It still almost stumps me that those filthy rich SEC athletics departments will not start D1 lacrosse programs.
The reason/excuse given is Title IX. Georgia and Georgia Tech have zero excuse not to have a team. Lacrosse is an official HS state championship sport in Georgia. Tech has Title IX room, and adding both teams would definitely be OK. Right now just Florida and Vandy have women's teams. Georgia should at least have a women's team.

I think this crystallizes a kind of weird imbalance.

I think most fans see college football as a national sport with a regional interest. I think SEC fans believe so much in their regional and sometimes national dominance that they believe that the SEC is CFB.

This alliance should help test that theory.
I think the SEC is dominant for many reasons of late. And the average Joe around the country will tune in to see Alabama play Florida or Georgia play whoever. But while they tune in because they are fans of CFB, they are constantly evaluating those teams and their talent against their own team, Ole State U, or whoever their team may be. If Ole State U. Is suddenly out of the picture for major college football, their interest in Alabama or Texas or Florida will wane faster than you can say Bear Bryant. They’ll watch NFL or something else. The SEC will have effectively killed the golden goose.

That is a depressing article if you are a fan of the ACC.

The ACC will stay the course till 2031-32 and teams may look around.
I assume you know that means Notre Dame too. The reality is that now that the SEC has gone full force to try to out Big Ten the Big Ten in the race to amass the most money to run the most 'others' out of competition, before too long, everybody able to play what we now see as Major College Football will be a member of either the SEC or the Big Ten. There will be just 2 giant monopolies. It will be like Coca Cola and PepsiCo. But there won't be any Dr. Pepper that is independent in any sense. Notre Dame also will either join one of the 2 or else choose to step down, to something more comparable to the Ivy League.

I assume you know that means Notre Dame too. The reality is that now that the SEC has gone full force to try to out Big Ten the Big Ten in the race to amass the most money to run the most 'others' out of competition, before too long, everybody able to play what we now see as Major College Football will be a member of either the SEC or the Big Ten. There will be just 2 giant monopolies. It will be like Coca Cola and PepsiCo. But there won't be any Dr. Pepper that is independent in any sense. Notre Dame also will either join one of the 2 or else choose to step down, to something more comparable to the Ivy League.
Nah, I am not worried, we're fine. If it explodes and we have to make a choice than we will. But we're not there yet. Lots of twist and turns to come.

I think the SEC is dominant for many reasons of late. And the average Joe around the country will tune in to see Alabama play Florida or Georgia play whoever. But while they tune in because they are fans of CFB, they are constantly evaluating those teams and their talent against their own team, Ole State U, or whoever their team may be. If Ole State U. Is suddenly out of the picture for major college football, their interest in Alabama or Texas or Florida will wane faster than you can say Bear Bryant. They’ll watch NFL or something else. The SEC will have effectively killed the golden goose.
I think a bit more like TheCusian on this. The SEC has pushed the boundaries so that now it is either a choice between accepting SEC hegemony or else creating an alliance to resist and largely neuter SEC desires for hegemony.

Let me start by saying that the SEC today is doing exactly what the Big Ten would have done already if Notre Dame had agreed to join the Big Ten as its 12th or 14th. If that had come to pass, then we would have required an alliance of ACC, Big XII, and SEC (the Pac would have continued to service the desires of the Big Ten) to neuter the Big Ten dreams of, and steps toward, hegemony.

The key is whether the BT now realizes that it must act collectively to help save Major College Sports as we know them, which will require the BT to dampen its greed and hubris a good deal. I am not close to certain that the BT is at that point. I have no doubt that a host of BT movers and shakers would love nothing more than to to now act 24/7 to try to one up the SEC, which would mean trying to destroy the ACC and probably the Pac. That would be the antithesis of alliance - it would be another Evil Empire desirous of owning a monopoly.

And I do think that the SEC plan is to alter all Major College Sports. SEC longtime internet posters are all over talking about how this means that soon the SEC will direct a secession from the NCAA by the remaining Major football playing schools, and that will mean that the SEC will remake the only National Championship basketball tournament that will matter, and will also fashion a new baseball CWS.

The more that the richest are selfish and prideful in their selfishness, the more that greed becomes a god imposed on all.

If ND fans on the internet are correct, then ND football is that exact type and will want to do nothing until the lest second when it will plan to take the highest buy out. If the BT movers and shakers remain that way too, then this alliance will effect nothing because it will be just another BT scam. In that case, the BT will survive, and probably get even richer, but the SEC domination over football will continue and might even become more pronounced.

I think a bit more like TheCusian on this. The SEC has pushed the boundaries so that now it is either a choice between accepting SEC hegemony or else creating an alliance to resist and largely neuter SEC desires for hegemony.

Let me start by saying that the SEC today is doing exactly what the Big Ten would have done already if Notre Dame had agreed to join the Big Ten as its 12th or 14th. If that had come to pass, then we would have required an alliance of ACC, Big XII, and SEC (the Pac would have continued to service the desires of the Big Ten) to neuter the Big Ten dreams of, and steps toward, hegemony.

The key is whether the BT now realizes that it must act collectively to help save Major College Sports as we know them, which will require the BT to dampen its greed and hubris a good deal. I am not close to certain that the BT is at that point. I have no doubt that a host of BT movers and shakers would love nothing more than to to now act 24/7 to try to one up the SEC, which would mean trying to destroy the ACC and probably the Pac. That would be the antithesis of alliance - it would be another Evil Empire desirous of owning a monopoly.

And I do think that the SEC plan is to alter all Major College Sports. SEC longtime internet posters are all over talking about how this means that soon the SEC will direct a secession from the NCAA by the remaining Major football playing schools, and that will mean that the SEC will remake the only National Championship basketball tournament that will matter, and will also fashion a new baseball CWS.

The more that the richest are selfish and prideful in their selfishness, the more that greed becomes a god imposed on all.

If ND fans on the internet are correct, then ND football is that exact type and will want to do nothing until the lest second when it will plan to take the highest buy out. If the BT movers and shakers remain that way too, then this alliance will effect nothing because it will be just another BT scam. In that case, the BT will survive, and probably get even richer, but the SEC domination over football will continue and might even become more pronounced.
The bolded is the most likely to occur. The alliance sounds okay on the surface but it likely will ineffectual due to competing interest of the Big 10 and others. The Big 10 does not want a resurgent ACC, with ND in their own back yard.

The bolded is the most likely to occur. The alliance sounds okay on the surface but it likely will ineffectual due to competing interest of the Big 10 and others. The Big 10 does not want a resurgent ACC, with ND in their own back yard.
Your post marks how Notre Dame is castrating itself slowly and making certain that it eventually will bow to the Big Ten. Or perhaps the SEC.

And Jack Swarbrick played the second largest role behind Greg Sankey in devising that expanded playoff, which was the green light for the SEC to make the summer moves.

Your post marks how Notre Dame is castrating itself slowly and making certain that it eventually will bow to the Big Ten. Or perhaps the SEC.

And Jack Swarbrick played the second largest role behind Greg Sankey in devising that expanded playoff, which was the green light for the SEC to make the summer moves.
In the end if bowing is required not much will change. We either bow to the ACC now, and enter, or wait and make the best deal later. This is required because the fanbase will pitch a fit if we bow to early. We will have a sit at whatever table we want ultimately.

Yes, we did play the second biggest role in expansion of the playoff.

Last edited:
In the end if it bowing is required not much will change. We either bow to the ACC now, and enter or wait and make the best deal later. This is required because the fanbase will pitch a fit if we bow to early. We will hve a sit at what ever table we want ultimately.

Yes, we did play the second biggest role in expansion of the playoff.
ND always looks out for ND 1st…and they should.

the B1G always looks out for the B1G 1st….and they should.

the PAC does what the B1G wants….and now it appears so will the ACC.

ND will not be considered this time around.

you’re right that they will get a seat wherever they want, but that decision is going to be forced a lot sooner than you think.

All it takes is 9-1-1 from the alliance…and you’re done.

Hell, 8-1-1 might do it, but a little slower.

ND always looks out for ND 1st…and they should.

the B1G always looks out for the B1G 1st….and they should.

the PAC does what the B1G wants….and now it appears so will the ACC.

ND will not be considered this time around.

you’re right that they will get a seat wherever they want, but that decision is going to be forced a lot sooner than you think.

All it takes is 9-1-1 from the alliance…and you’re done.

Hell, 8-1-1 might do it, but a little slower.
We'll see if the decision is coming soon. A lot of moving parts right now so it is hard to know.

WoadBlue's article is older than appears, it was previously posted in this thread or another on this topic. Regardless, the SEC is clearly operating in its best interest in the immediate future.

The proposed alliance addresses several issues, the most important being academics. The SEC cannot perform as it has without substandard students. Further, analysis shows the concept that the SEC is actually any better than the remainder of the P5(4), aside from one or two elites at any time. See the ACC, B1G, and B12, the PAC has had a true elite the past few years.

The alliance is less about one super conference to block the SEC, rather it is the acknowledgement that CFB needs at least the majority of the P5(4) teams, more likely D1 (sans a few participants). Yet using their voting as a block to force the SEC back to it's true corporate mission of academics. Remember, sports is a small portion of a school's revenue. When one considers that the costs of running a first class Athletics department, the profits are not as significant as many believe.

Further, as a block, the remaining P5(4) can remind the SEC that not too many people outside of the Southeast actually care about SEC games. We may all watch a few interesting games but most people have a limited amount of time to watch CFB. They are not going to watch SEC sports because the SEC manages to squeeze out the rest of CFBdom.

As the B1G and PAC have a long history of working together and both value academics, the ACC is a natural fit to work with them in an alliance.

The ACC could align with the SEC, most of the schools have a near one-century history with each other going back to the southern conference days. ESPN owns both properties and the potential is there to work together. However, this does not address the SEC's dominance northern sourc of dominance, that is breaking rules (gray shifting) and using players who lack actual academic standing to compete.

Regardless regionalizing football to the SEC and the alliance is not likely to benefit anyone. More likely is that cooler heads prevail, major issues get worked out and CFB continues. The best outcome would be for the conferences to band together as the pro sport leagues do and work with multiple networks to ensure maximized revenue.

WoadBlue's article is older than appears, it was previously posted in this thread or another on this topic. Regardless, the SEC is clearly operating in its best interest in the immediate future.

The proposed alliance addresses several issues, the most important being academics. The SEC cannot perform as it has without substandard students. Further, analysis shows the concept that the SEC is actually any better than the remainder of the P5(4), aside from one or two elites at any time. See the ACC, B1G, and B12, the PAC has had a true elite the past few years.

The alliance is less about one super conference to block the SEC, rather it is the acknowledgement that CFB needs at least the majority of the P5(4) teams, more likely D1 (sans a few participants). Yet using their voting as a block to force the SEC back to it's true corporate mission of academics. Remember, sports is a small portion of a school's revenue. When one considers that the costs of running a first class Athletics department, the profits are not as significant as many believe.

Further, as a block, the remaining P5(4) can remind the SEC that not too many people outside of the Southeast actually care about SEC games. We may all watch a few interesting games but most people have a limited amount of time to watch CFB. They are not going to watch SEC sports because the SEC manages to squeeze out the rest of CFBdom.

As the B1G and PAC have a long history of working together and both value academics, the ACC is a natural fit to work with them in an alliance.

The ACC could align with the SEC, most of the schools have a near one-century history with each other going back to the southern conference days. ESPN owns both properties and the potential is there to work together. However, this does not address the SEC's dominance northern sourc of dominance, that is breaking rules (gray shifting) and using players who lack actual academic standing to compete.

Regardless regionalizing football to the SEC and the alliance is not likely to benefit anyone. More likely is that cooler heads prevail, major issues get worked out and CFB continues. The best outcome would be for the conferences to band together as the pro sport leagues do and work with multiple networks to ensure maximized revenue.
This alliance isn’t about scheduling.

It’s about preventing the SEC from taking over the power structure.

Paul Finebaum is an ESPN and SEC guy his comments told me all I needed to know.
He hated the fact the ACC agreed to be part of this because that was the conference he said the SEC got along with the most. ESPN doesn’t like it either.

For those reasons I am in.

He hated the fact the ACC agreed to be part of this because that was the conference he said the SEC got along with the most. ESPN doesn’t like it either.

It’s not about scheduling, or the playoffs, etc. but those things are areas of leverage that should be used to help check the SEC

Well said.. very good perspective as these are academic schools At their heart.

I think the ACC entertaining this alliance as attempt to create at least a little leverage with ESPN to improve annual TV payouts. This year is a “look in” year to assess whether the deal is still competitive and needs adjusting. It is clearly below market. Maybe this pushes ESPN to do something about it in exchange for the ACC to stay a bit closer aligned with ESPN and the SEC.

But your alternate plan is for ND to surrender independence right now, giving up the one thing it doesn't want to do, for the lowest price, and to voluntarily limit or diminish its program by doing so...in order to "save" the ACC and make North Carolina some more money.

That is better for ND how?

No matter what ND does, two super conferences will likely form and ND will have to make the same decision.

(Don't trust the Big Ten for one single minute)

I think that it is better for ND to ride out independence, renew the NBC deal around 2023, and see what happens.

ACC isn't going anywhere it will be the 3rd/4th best after the SEC and Big Ten.

You need at least 4 major conferences. But the AAC/B12 league will be better than people think. In a given year that league could be better than ACC and P12.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom