ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 161 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

So I'm having a hard time grasping whether you agreed that the ACC and Pac12 should have engaged and if it's cool for people here to discuss those scenarios. You're saying they had to talk and they'd be fun but the comments about those scenarios were odd? I mean the fact they talked means it was a possibility. Why was it such a dream/is it so ridiculous after reading tweets from journalists saying they were talking about merging?

As I said they had to explore that opportunity. Everyone here throwing out these expansion talks want their old rivalries back, their regionally back, and good travel spots. It's fun to imagine.
I responded to your comments individually so you would know which one I was referring to. Not sure how I can make them any more clear.

Nothing really, their AD made a comment about not wanting to send their women's soccer team to Syracuse late in the season. Their President, who is a Cuse alum, chided him for being afraid of the cold.

That was the extent of it.
Here's the thing, you won't go to Syracuse but you'll go to Morgantown? Phrasing is important. Say logistically, it doesn't make sense for us and "our student athletes".

So effectively if the B1G and SEC convince 8 schools to leave the ACC then the GOR’s goose is cooked.

And if 7 schools were already investigating getting out of the GOR, then that means we aren’t that far off from that being a reality if the SEC and B1G really want it.

So effectively if the B1G and SEC convince 8 schools to leave the ACC then the GOR’s goose is cooked.

And if 7 schools were already investigating getting out of the GOR, then that means we aren’t that far off from that being a reality if the SEC and B1G really want it.
espn will pump the breaks on the sec front since they dont want to pay the same schools double to change conferences

Then we need to secure a spot in the Big 12 and become the eighth team

espn will pump the breaks on the sec front since they dont want to pay the same schools double to change conferences
I still have a hard time understanding how ESPN would/could allow the ACC to fail. They have the opportunity to control two of the three biggest conferences. They need the ACC to succeed, don't they?

I still have a hard time understanding how ESPN would/could allow the ACC to fail. They have the opportunity to control two of the three biggest conferences. They need the ACC to succeed, don't they?
need is the wrong word, they know they have acc rights on the cheap for 13 more years. I think espn wants there endgame to be a combo sec-acc at some point closer to 2036. at our next look in unless the economy is in a recession we will get another bump to stay 3rd

This is what we need to have happen and hopefully something the ACC considers. Maybe we can convince ND to increase their ACC inventory by playing Cal and Stanford annually and rotating through the rest of the conference with 5 games per year.

I think ESPN will pay extra for Cal/Stanford as a way to get west coast inventory. Right now they are shut out from the west coast.

Attachments

• IMG_4192.jpeg
    IMG_4192.jpeg
    313.1 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_4192.jpeg
    IMG_4192.jpeg
    323 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
need is the wrong word, they know they have acc rights on the cheap for 13 more years. I think espn wants there endgame to be a combo sec-acc at some point closer to 2036. at our next look in unless the economy is in a recession we will get another bump to stay 3rd
If they don't step up before then, they are risking losing a ton. I am probably blinded by my orange colored glasses, but if ESPN is smart, they step up on the next look in to satisfy Clemson and FSU and try to keep the ACC together. We may still be #3, but we have to be close enough to #2 to keep what we've got.

If they don't step up before then, they are risking losing a ton. I am probably blinded by my orange colored glasses, but if ESPN is smart, they step up on the next look in to satisfy Clemson and FSU and try to keep the ACC together. We may still be #3, but we have to be close enough to #2 to keep what we've got.
next look in is a couple years away i believe

Here's the thing, you won't go to Syracuse but you'll go to Morgantown? Phrasing is important. Say logistically, it doesn't make sense for us and "our student athletes".
I'm not sure that the ASU guys are entirely aware what teams are in their new conference, especially ones outside Texas, Oklahoma and Utah.

No. ESPN has the rights whether or not schools leave the conference.

No. ESPN has the rights whether or not schools leave the conference.
I’m pretty sure 8 schools can vote to dissolve the GOR and eliminate the exit fee.

They need ABC to get committed to helping ESPN so they can do The ACC on ABC on Thursday night and all day Saturday.

They also need a miracle

I’m pretty sure 8 schools can vote to dissolve the GOR and eliminate the exit fee.

Doubt the fee would go away.

They would owe it to the six remaining members and the conference as long as it remains.

They need ABC to get committed to helping ESPN so they can do The ACC on ABC on Thursday night and all day Saturday.

They also need a miracle
abc will be sec country most saturdays

Again no. The schools individually signed away those rights irrespective of whether they're still in the ACC, and the ACC subsequently contracted them to ESPN. If the ACC goes away ESPN still has them.
Btw what makes you think a simple majority can dissolve the ACC?

Look at this potential collection of schools and brands. A great mix of public and private schools most with excellent academics. It’s really a good cultural fit.

Maybe the ACC can reach out to the Saudi sovereign wealth fund for their investment until this awful ESPN contract runs out. an extra $20 million per school for the next 10 years would really help to bridge the gap with the top 2 conferences.

Even though I love what the big 12 did adding the four corner schools I prefer our collection of brands; strong academics and competitive athletics

Attachments

• IMG_4195.png
    IMG_4195.png
    175.6 KB · Views: 100
Again no. The schools individually signed away those rights irrespective of whether they're still in the ACC, and the ACC subsequently contracted them to ESPN. If the ACC goes away ESPN still has them.
Btw what makes you think a simple majority can dissolve the ACC?
I thought it was 75% vote required…. 10.5 (11) teams.

Interesting move by FSU...

I don't agree with how FSU is doing things, but they are trying to compete financially. It really is a crucial time for any football program wanting to keep up with the bastards in the B1G and SEC. So, maybe FSU stirring the pot with a seemingly unbreakable GOR letting ESPN know that they are on the cusp of losing a solid property isn't a bad thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom