ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 188 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

Honestly, does anyone else laugh besides me when they think ACC and SDSU or UNLV or SMU. Any ACC additions at this point need to be current P5 schools or it's the AAC.
SDSU is the only game now in San Diego...they would do well on a bigger stage

Think UCF

UNLV is a play to get into Vegas for bowl games and sports action

SMU brings huge oil $$

We have no reason or plans to leave. This "Magnificent 7" stuff came as news to just about everyone on our boards.
It’s just about the dumbest moniker I’ve ever heard.

There was an ACC merger proposal presented to the PAC 12 schools in the same meeting where the Apple deal was presented.

That means the ACC literally made a proactive formal offer to the PAC 12 before anyone left.

I don’t know how many times this can be repeated before I chalk up not believing it as willful ignorance.
consider it chalked

If we add Stanford and Cal

The ACC should look at adding either SDSU or UNLV to go with SMU

Why take either of those over Oregon State? Neither San Diego nor Las Vegas is a large market. Neither school has a large fanbase. Both are current G5s.

Why take either of those over Oregon State? Neither San Diego nor Las Vegas is a large market. Neither school has a large fanbase. Both are current G5s.
I would take UNLV over Oregon State all day.

There’s a lot of potential there. Can’t say that about Oregon St.

I'd wait on the Houston market. Rice is great academics wise but athletics wise they suck and have a small fanbase

Better to wait and grab TCU or Baylor in 2029.

Just talking with my buddy who has a son on Rice's team about this. Can you imagine trying to get to Rice stadium? It's right in the middle of a residential area and the medical center. It's a pain to get to the stadium.

Can I ask why the fascination with SMU? I don’t know anything about the school. But from afar it strikes me as a small-ish private school that likely doesn’t have a large fan base. I get that it’s in Dallas, but I also assume there are far more UT, aTm and Oklahoma fans in Dallas than SMU.
SMU is south's Syracuse, same as Baylor. The same crowd apply to these three schools.

Can I ask why the fascination with SMU? I don’t know anything about the school. But from afar it strikes me as a small-ish private school that likely doesn’t have a large fan base. I get that it’s in Dallas, but I also assume there are far more UT, aTm and Oklahoma fans in Dallas than SMU.
Off the chart wealthy University, excellent academics and great market for eyeballs and for recruiting. I consider them a hidden gem.

Just talking with my buddy who has a son on Rice's team about this. Can you imagine trying to get to Rice stadium? It's right in the middle of a residential area and the medical center. It's a pain to get to the stadium.
Don't worry...if Cuse plays them it'll be 12K Rice fans and 1200 Cuse fans

100% add SMU. They would be equal to USC had the NCAA not given them the death penalty in the 80's, for things that every other school in Texas was probably doing too. They will regain their stature if they can get into a major conference.

Honestly, does anyone else laugh besides me when they think ACC and SDSU or UNLV or SMU. Any ACC additions at this point need to be current P5 schools or it's the AAC.
No its not.

Mostly same. I could see SMU working out though. They have money. Lots and lots of money.

FWIW, some of the people responding in this thread, maybe even the very poster you are responding to, actually do this kind of stuff for a living.

That very well may be the case. Which would be helpful if they said they have inside information. I’m not asking for sources or exact information. But it would be helpful to understand that these people have information that is not public. When I speak, I am speaking from public, national media information. I always appreciate any inside information and would never bash the relayed information. But it’s impossible for me to know if they are talking from insider information or just stating their beliefs as fact. If they say it’s from inside information the conversation stops there.

Which is why I generally ask where people see these things that they are talking about. I like to be informed. So if I miss stuff, I can go back and read articles I missed.

You’re not adding current P5 schools outside of the PAC 4. That battle has been lost until 2030+.

And if you wait around longer and let the Big12 continue to gobble up smaller growing markets there isn’t going to be a strategy that works if the SEC/B1G raid comes to fruition.

That’s where we are now unfortunately. Have to think outside the box long term.

I have never watched a TCU-SMU game and I would bet 99.9% of the country is the same.

TCU adds no new market, they add no new State, they have a small fanbase.
TCU has a stadium almost exactly the same size as the Dome, and last year they drew at 108% of nominal capacity.

I think TCU would be pointless if you have SMU.

Baylor some schools won't want because of religious affiliation. Which might make Houston more attractive.

But if you need a 2nd Texas school, IMO Texas Tech is nest due to the size of the school and the on field/court success.
How many schools would turn down ND because of religious affiliation?

So if it is just Stanford, Cal, and SMU how does the ACC schedule that? I doubt anyone wants those schools as a perm rival. So you need to go down to 2 perm rivals, which means playing everyone 3x each over 7 seasons. Does UNC really want NC State only 3x in 7 years?

Unless the ACC adds a 9th game, which means playing everyone 2x in 4 years. It would also add TV value.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom