ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 21 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

1629802705700.png

Including non conference football scheduling. So that element is confirmed. Interesting. The messaging also focuses on ESPN and having to much control. With this pact materializing so quickly, it will now be interesting to see if ESPN sweetens the pot for the ACC with the look in. My guess would be given this Pact and messaging that if ESPN does it will probably be negligible. Interesting dynamics at play here.

Including non conference football scheduling. So that element is confirmed. Interesting. The messaging also focuses on ESPN and having to much control. With this pact materializing so quickly, it will now be interesting to see if ESPN sweetens the pot for the ACC with the look in. My guess would be given this Pact and messaging that if ESPN does it will probably be negligible. Interesting dynamics at play here.
ESPN isn’t going to give the ACC more money for nothing. These look-ins are nothing more than just selling points.
If ESPN was going to give more money they would want more content or more control over the schedule.

What the impact could be on future Syracuse schedules...

Date Opponent Time/TV Comments
Saturday, September 10that Connecticut (replaced by P12 opponent)
Saturday, September 17thPURDUE (kept)
Saturday, September 24thWAGNERAnnual FCS opponent
TBDNOTRE DAME
TBDLOUISVILLE
TBDFLORIDA STATE
TBDat Wake Forest
TBDat Clemson
TBDNORTH CAROLINA STATE
TBDVIRGINIA
TBDat Pittsburgh
TBDat Boston College
Notes:

A game against Ohio University was announced 2/12/2018.

Penn State announced it was playing Ohio on 9/10/22 on January 23, 2019. It is expected that their game with Syracuse originally scheduled for 2022 will be rescheduled in 2023 or 2024.

A 2 game series against Purdue was announced 9/12/2018.

A 4 game series with UConn was announced 2/7/2020.

A game against Wagner to be played at home on 9/24/22 was announced on June 23, 2020.

The advent of the ACC Network is driving more conference games to be played early in the season.

Lastly, the Carrier Dome renovation project is expected to drive early road games for Syracuse for at least 2019 to 2022.

Saturday, September 2ndCOLGATE
Saturday, September 9thWESTERN MICHIGAN
Saturday, September 16that Purdue (kept)
Saturday, September 23rdARMY (moved out or replaced by a P12 opponent)
TBDat Louisville
TBDat Florida State
TBDWAKE FOREST
TBDCLEMSON
TBDat North Carolina State
TBDat North Carolina
TBDPITTSBURGH
TBDBOSTON COLLEGE
Notes:

Syracuse and Army announced a 4 game series running from 2023-2026 on August 21st, 2016.

Syracuse announced a home and home series with Western Michigan starting in 2020 on 4/17/2019.

Colgate announced they will be playing Syracuse in the Carrier Dome 9/2/2023 on April 28th, 2021.

Saturday, August 31stOHIO
B1G opponent
Saturday, September 21stat Army
TBDP12 opponent
TBDLOUISVILLE
TBDFLORIDA STATE
TBDat Wake Forest
TBDat Clemson
TBDNORTH CAROLINA STATE
TBDMIAMI
TBDat Pittsburgh
TBDat Boston College
Notes:

Syracuse and Army announced a 4 game series running from 2023-2026 on August 21st, 2016.

Saturday, August 31stTennessee (kept; $)Atlanta, GAChik-Fil-A Kickoff, ABC or ESPN
Saturday, September 6thUCONN (replaced by P12 opponent)
TBDat Notre Dame
Saturday, September 27th ARMY (moved out to make room for B1G opponent)
TBDat Louisville
TBDat Florida State
TBDWAKE FOREST
TBDCLEMSON
TBDACC Crossover TBD
TBDPITTSBURGH
TBDBOSTON COLLEGE
Notes:

Syracuse announced it had scheduled to play in the Chik-Fil-A Kickoff against Tennessee in Atlanta on 7/15/2021. The game will be played on August 31st, 2025

TBDat Notre Dame
Saturday, September 5thNEW HAMPSHIRE
Saturday, September 26th at Army (moved out or canceled to make room for B1G opponent)
Saturday, October 3rd UCONN (canceled to make room for P12 opponent)
TBDLOUISVILLE
TBDFLORIDA STATE
TBDat Wake Forest
TBDat Clemson
TBDNORTH CAROLINA STATE
TBDACC Crossover TBD
TBDat Pittsburgh
TBDat Boston College
Notes:

It was announced that Syracuse has signed a contract to play New Hampshire in the Carrier Dome on September 5th, 2026 on 10/9/2019.

TBD P12 opponent
TBDFCS opponent TBD
TBDmaybe Army reschedule?
TBDat Louisville
TBDat Florida State
TBDWAKE FOREST
TBDCLEMSON
Saturday, November 6th at Connecticut (replaced by B1G opponent)
TBDACC Crossover TBD
TBDPITTSBURGH
TBDBOSTON COLLEGE

TBDB1G opponent
TBDP12 opponent
TBDFCS opponent
TBDLOUISVILLE
TBDFLORIDA STATE
TBDat Wake Forest
TBDat Clemson
TBDNORTH CAROLINA STATE
TBDACC Crossover TBD
TBDat Pittsburgh
TBDat Boston College

TBDB1G opponent
TBDNOTRE DAME
TBDP12 opponent
TBDFCS opponent
TBDat Louisville
TBDat Florida State
TBDWAKE FOREST
TBDCLEMSON
TBDACC Crossover TBD
TBDPITTSBURGH
TBDBOSTON COLLEGE

If the Alliance happens, it is hard to imagine the UConn games being retained. I think SU will try hard to find a way to retain the Army games, but those will be a struggle as well.

I don't see SU forgoing the chance to play an FCS opponent each season. If you add a mandatory B1G and P12 game each season, Syracuse has 1 game a season to schedule out of conference. And ND is already booked as that team 3 times. There is almost no room for other opponents.

I think they can save the series against Army or UConn. Not both. My guess is they value the Army games more. But they might go for the sure wins instead. That would be a tough call.

Did Texas and Oklahoma decide to move to the SEC to help Mississippi State or themselves?

Did Pitt join the ACC to help Wake Forest or help themselves?

Every school looks out for themselves and their own best interests...or their leaders should be fired.
Yeah, this only makes sense if you view conferences as bad. In the truest sense they are a partnership. So yeah, Pitt joined to help themselves and the conference benefited at the same time! It’s mutually beneficial!

What the impact could be on future Syracuse schedules...

Saturday, September 10that Connecticut (replaced by P12 opponent)
Saturday, September 17thPURDUE (kept)
Saturday, September 24thWAGNERAnnual FCS opponent
TBDNOTRE DAME
TBDLOUISVILLE
TBDFLORIDA STATE
TBDat Wake Forest
TBDat Clemson
TBDNORTH CAROLINA STATE
TBDVIRGINIA
TBDat Pittsburgh
TBDat Boston College
Notes:

A game against Ohio University was announced 2/12/2018.

Penn State announced it was playing Ohio on 9/10/22 on January 23, 2019. It is expected that their game with Syracuse originally scheduled for 2022 will be rescheduled in 2023 or 2024.

A 2 game series against Purdue was announced 9/12/2018.

A 4 game series with UConn was announced 2/7/2020.

A game against Wagner to be played at home on 9/24/22 was announced on June 23, 2020.

The advent of the ACC Network is driving more conference games to be played early in the season.

Lastly, the Carrier Dome renovation project is expected to drive early road games for Syracuse for at least 2019 to 2022.

Saturday, September 2ndCOLGATE
Saturday, September 9thWESTERN MICHIGAN
Saturday, September 16that Purdue (kept)
Saturday, September 23rdARMY (moved out or replaced by a P12 opponent)
TBDat Louisville
TBDat Florida State
TBDWAKE FOREST
TBDCLEMSON
TBDat North Carolina
TBDPITTSBURGH
TBDBOSTON COLLEGE
Notes:

Syracuse announced a home and home series with Western Michigan starting in 2020 on 4/17/2019.

Colgate announced they will be playing Syracuse in the Carrier Dome 9/2/2023 on April 28th, 2021.

Saturday, August 31stOHIO
B1G opponent
Saturday, September 21stat Army
TBDP12 opponent
TBDLOUISVILLE
TBDFLORIDA STATE
TBDat Wake Forest
TBDat Clemson
TBDNORTH CAROLINA STATE
TBDMIAMI
TBDat Pittsburgh
TBDat Boston College
Notes:

Saturday, August 31stTennessee (kept; $)Atlanta, GAChik-Fil-A Kickoff, ABC or ESPN
Saturday, September 6thUCONN (replaced by P12 opponent)
TBDat Notre Dame
Saturday, September 27th ARMY (moved out to make room for B1G opponent)
TBDat Louisville
TBDat Florida State
TBDWAKE FOREST
TBDCLEMSON
TBDACC Crossover TBD
TBDPITTSBURGH
TBDBOSTON COLLEGE
Notes:

Syracuse announced it had scheduled to play in the Chik-Fil-A Kickoff against Tennessee in Atlanta on 7/15/2021. The game will be played on August 31st, 2025

TBDat Notre Dame
Saturday, September 5thNEW HAMPSHIRE
Saturday, September 26th at Army (moved out or canceled to make room for B1G opponent)
Saturday, October 3rd UCONN (canceled to make room for P12 opponent)
TBDLOUISVILLE
TBDFLORIDA STATE
TBDat Wake Forest
TBDat Clemson
TBDNORTH CAROLINA STATE
TBDACC Crossover TBD
TBDat Pittsburgh
TBDat Boston College
Notes:

It was announced that Syracuse has signed a contract to play New Hampshire in the Carrier Dome on September 5th, 2026 on 10/9/2019.

TBD P12 opponent
TBDFCS opponent TBD
TBDat Louisville
TBDat Florida State
TBDWAKE FOREST
TBDCLEMSON
Saturday, November 6th at Connecticut (replaced by B1G opponent)
TBDACC Crossover TBD
TBDPITTSBURGH
TBDBOSTON COLLEGE

TBDB1G opponent
TBDP12 opponent
TBDFCS opponent
TBDLOUISVILLE
TBDFLORIDA STATE
TBDat Wake Forest
TBDat Clemson
TBDNORTH CAROLINA STATE
TBDACC Crossover TBD
TBDat Pittsburgh
TBDat Boston College

TBDB1G opponent
TBDNOTRE DAME
TBDP12 opponent
TBDFCS opponent
TBDat Louisville
TBDat Florida State
TBDWAKE FOREST
TBDCLEMSON
TBDACC Crossover TBD
TBDPITTSBURGH
TBDBOSTON COLLEGE

If the Alliance happens, it is hard to imagine the UConn games being retained. I think SU will try hard to find a way to retain the Army games, but those will be a struggle as well.

I don't see SU forgoing the chance to play an FCS opponent each season. If you add a mandatory B1G and P12 game each season, Syracuse has 1 game a season to schedule out of conference. And ND is already booked as that team 3 times. There is almost no room for other opponents.

I think they can save the series against Army or UConn. Not both. My guess is they value the Army games more. But they might go for the sure wins instead. That would be a tough call.
2023 Western Michigan game will likely be dropped since we didn’t play at their place last year because of the pandemic.

Also we will owe Rutgers a future home game because their home game was cancelled last year.
They will likely be the first B1G road game we will play as we owe them one. Since they are playing at SU this year.

They aren’t a good partner.
There was a season they only played 4 ACC teams so the ACC had to remind them they agreed to 5 and made them play 6 the following year.
Notre Dame is a parasite.
The ACC is just allowing them to not have to join the Big Ten.

The ND deal prevents the conference from playing 9 conferences games.
Florida State/Clemson won’t play 9 conference games with the ND deal because they play SEC rivals and need 7 home games a year.

Let ND stay independent and schedule the 12 games a year.
That happened because the G5 team that had a contract to play ND that year wouldn't take money to release the slot for an ACC team. They insisted upon playing the game. ND made up for it by playing the ACC team (Wake?) the following year. ND had to drop a bunch of games it had previously scheduled in order to schedule ACC teams. Most were agreeable to postpone playing ND to another year or taking money to buy out their contracts. That G5 team wasn't. This wasn't on ND.

That happened because the G5 team that had a contract to play ND that year wouldn't take money to release the slot for an ACC team. They insisted upon playing the game. ND made up for it by playing the ACC team (Wake?) the following year. ND had to drop a bunch of games it had previously scheduled in order to schedule ACC teams. Most were agreeable to postpone playing ND to another year or taking money to buy out their contracts. That G5 team wasn't. This wasn't on ND.
Notre Dame only does what is on the paper.
The ACC should cut the cord with them. They aren’t joining the conference and just want the status quo as long as they can have it.

This new commissioner is doing everything right thus far for me.
He is putting actual pressure on ESPN to help the carrier subscriptions for the ACCN and he isn’t being a lackey for ESPN.

2023 Western Michigan game will likely be dropped since we didn’t play at their place last year because of the pandemic.

Also we will owe Rutgers a future home game because their home game was cancelled last year.
They will likely be the first B1G road game we will play as we owe them one. Since they are playing at SU this year.
Someone wrote an article a while ago that said the contract for the SU-RU football series had a clause that frees Syracuse from being obligated to have to make up the away RU game that the Scarlet Knights were unable to play.

My understanding is that that game was not going to be rescheduled. Syracuse was ready, RU was not. But if the alliance happens, I agree that it is likely Syracuse game will be scheduled in Piscataway relatively soon.

It will be interesting to see if it is set up as a home and home series or a one off. My guess is the former.

I think Western Michigan is likely to want to play the game at Syracuse. If the alliance happens, it is not going to be as easy to schedule lucrative pay days against P5 opponents. Especially against a beatable opponent not too far away.

Adding annual games against 2 P5 opponents will probably put an end to SU's willingness to play MAC teams, Liberty, UConn and the like on the road.

If the alliance happens, I could see SU playing Army or Navy on the road in the future. But I doubt that will happen with any other non-P5 opponent.

Notre Dame only does what is on the paper.
The ACC should cut the cord with them. They aren’t joining the conference and just want the status quo as long as they can have it.

This new commissioner is doing everything right thus far for me.
He is putting actual pressure on ESPN to help the carrier subscriptions for the ACCN and he isn’t being a lackey for ESPN.
That's know as a "contract". Plus, I believe the contract actually calls for 10 games every 2 years, with 5 and 5 working out the best for both sides. In sum, the lived up to terms of the contract.

What exactly has the ACC asked ND to do that ND refused?

Yeah, this only makes sense if you view conferences as bad. In the truest sense they are a partnership. So yeah, Pitt joined to help themselves and the conference benefited at the same time! It’s mutually beneficial!

Yet Pitt (and Syracuse) destroyed the conference they left. There's always a partnership and rubble left in the wake. ND can do what they want is my point. The world is an extremely selfish place right now. There's no "for the greater good" decision making in college sports. The alliance is in the best interest of everyone to make the most money for everyone. The alliance i doubt is going to force the Big to take less money.

ND is the country's university. They are bound by zero geography fan base wise. They have land locked issues with getting kids to a corn field but the school has to recruit nationally and the independence of their schedule allows it.

I have no problem w them operating on their own best interests. We are hypocrites to suggest otherwise. I just hope at some point there's an intersection of their best interests and our best interests. It may be that ND has to join a conference b/c everyone has closed the doors to post season football. Absent that they will do what they do

That's know as a "contract". Plus, I believe the contract actually calls for 10 games every 2 years, with 5 and 5 working out the best for both sides. In sum, the lived up to terms of the contract.

No point in discussing the same stuff.
If you are comfortable with the parasite that is your right.

Someone wrote an article a while ago that said the contract for the SU-RU football series had a clause that frees Syracuse from being obligated to have to make up the away RU game that the Scarlet Knights were unable to play.

My understanding is that that game was not going to be rescheduled. Syracuse was ready, RU was not. But if the alliance happens, I agree that it is likely Syracuse game will be scheduled in Piscataway relatively soon.

It will be interesting to see if it is set up as a home and home series or a one off. My guess is the former.

I think Western Michigan is likely to want to play the game at Syracuse. If the alliance happens, it is not going to be as easy to schedule lucrative pay days against P5 opponents. Especially against a beatable opponent not too far away.

Adding annual games against 2 P5 opponents will probably put an end to SU's willingness to play MAC teams, Liberty, UConn and the like on the road.

If the alliance happens, I could see SU playing Army or Navy on the road in the future. But I doubt that will happen with any other non-P5 opponent.
I don’t understand how Syracuse was able to play the game and Rutgers wasn’t when the ACC didn’t allow nonconference road games last year.
They allowed 1 nonconference game and it had to be at home.

We owe Rutgers a home game. It’s the right thing to do. It’s also a close road game for our fans. I am sure it will be incorporated with this scheduling alliance.

Nothing at all. ND has lived up to every term in every ND/ACC contract.

It also helped tremendously in getting the ACC Network, so says the ACC.

Hence, a full share of ACC Network net profits goes to ND, like every other ACC school.

ND has always said from the beginning that football would not be included.

The ACC agreed to that in written contracts through 2036.

ND then said "if" it ever joined a football conference before 2036, it would be the ACC.

It hasn't violated the terms of that contract either.

The ACC cannot contractually "cut the cord" with ND until after 2036, unless they want breach the contracts and pay damages to ND.

Nothing at all. ND has lived up to every term in every ND/ACC contract.

It also helped tremendously in getting the ACC Network, so says the ACC.

Hence, a full share of ACC Network net profits goes to ND, like every other ACC school.

ND has always said from the beginning that football would not be included.

The ACC agreed to that in written contracts through 2036.

ND then said "if" it ever joined a football conference before 2036, it would be the ACC.

It hasn't violated the terms of that contract either.

The ACC cannot contractually "cut the cord" with ND until after 2036, unless they want breach the contracts and pay damages to ND.
i am sure there is language in there where the ACC could 'breach' the contract if continuing to play ND was somehow a detriment to its members.

if its 8-1-1 or 9-1-1, playing ND no longer is a viable option and that contract should be null and void.

good luck.

ACC isn't going anywhere it will be the 3rd/4th best after the SEC and Big Ten.

You need at least 4 major conferences. But the AAC/B12 league will be better than people think. In a given year that league could be better than ACC and P12.
This could be teams in a potential Big 12, AAC, MWC merger.

Cincinnati
West Virginia
UCF
South Florida
Iowa St
Kansas St
Oklahoma St
Texas Tech
Houston
BYU
TCU
Baylor
Boise St
Colorado St
UNLV
San Diego St

i am sure there is language in there where the ACC could 'breach' the contract if continuing to play ND was somehow a detriment to its members.

if its 8-1-1 or 9-1-1, playing ND no longer is a viable option and that contract should be null and void.

good luck.
We have no clue what the contract says.
If the ACC wanted to just send the worst teams every single year to ND and make ND play at Clemson and at FSU every year they could do that I am sure.
If the contract doesn’t guarantee they play each team X times. Their is stuff the ACC could and should do.

They need to rip the band aid off and I give this new commissioner a lot of credit. He isn’t weak and bending the knee to ESPN.

ND doesn’t have to join the ACC and to be honest I am so sick of their arrogance I don’t want them. I want them to have to be second fiddle to Ohio State and Michigan. They would despise it while they would get their money and be well compensated.

The ACC standing up to ESPN is so delicious I can’t but give this new commissioner anything but A+s.

No expansion pisses off the SEC, ESPN and Notre Dame.
This alliance is already doing the job.
Well done.
Playoff expansion being deferred until 2025 won't piss ND off.

If it ends up anything better than 4 conference champs only, ND will be okay with it and stay independent .

It does now with 4 playoff slots, if it ends up some compromise at 8 with a viable ND pathway, it will remain status quo with ND.

The Alliance scheduling announcement, if Dan Wetzel is correct, will take ND into consideration regarding its games against Southern Cal, Stanford and the Big Ten.

Wetzel says that those games will count as ACC games for those teams. We shall see later today if he is accurate.

If he is, I think that ND can get on board with this Alliance, since it won't severely threaten independence.

We have no clue what the contract says.
If the ACC wanted to just send the worst teams every single year to ND and make ND play at Clemson and at FSU every year they could do that I am sure.
If the contract doesn’t guarantee they play each team X times. Their is stuff the ACC could and should do.

They need to rip the band aid off and I give this new commissioner a lot of credit. He isn’t weak and bending the knee to ESPN.

ND doesn’t have to join the ACC and to be honest I am so sick of their arrogance I don’t want them. I want them to have to be second fiddle to Ohio State and Michigan. They would despise it while they would get their money and be well compensated.
agreed.

and 1st things 1st...lets see what the Alliance says.

You think Syracuse killed the Big East?

The ship was already sunk when the conference had two different beasts to feed. Football and basketball onlies.
The conference was DOA in 2003 when Miami left.
The conference wasn’t going to last.
Plus Notre Dame did nothing to help the football schools with scheduling which they claimed they would.
Yes, Syracuse was the final punch to the head of the Big East. Miami/Tech weren't true Big East teams. The Big East was a basketball conference.

The football conference was convenience, the basketball conference was something real. When Syracuse, which was essentially the only Big East program to succeed in football and basketball at the highest level left, i think it mattered more than the rest.

I agree the league wasn't going to last. I am no doubt in your camp on that one and no doubt in your camp that we had no choice but I think in the eyes of the romantics when Syracuse left, it was Ted Danson turning the lights out at Cheers for the final time.

My whole point is I get you hate ND. I happen to love the university and am not offended by their positioning. We can agree to disagree how they should operate in a way that will not offend your senses.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom