ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 216 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

I kind of envy people who have been diehard FCS fans the entire time. I might join them in a couple of years if this goes where I think it’s heading.
That's exactly where it's headed. dang

Last edited:
When this thing blows up to the point of football needing to break away (which is inevitable), I think the Haves are going to vehemently oppose the have nots. Everyone is free to break away from their former alliances.

Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State will not be willing to earn the same revenue as Rutgers, Maryland, Indiana, Northwestern. Vandy will be gone. They'll decide on the minimably viable number of teams that holds national interest/maximizes the media deal, and keep all the money between themselves.

Sad to say, but SU won't be in the AAA. But that's fine, I'd be perfectly happy in AA with BC, Pitt, Maryland, Rutgers, West Virginia, etc.

Sorry, UConn, but you're in either A ball or Rookie.
UConn = Cape Cod League

I said it before and I'll say it again, FSU was just posturing to get the revenue split conversation going in their favor.

Couldn't they have executed it better? Like how Colorado did with their B12 move? There was no need to act publicly the way they did. They could have easily leaked stories about wanting to leave while denying it.

Couldn't they have executed it better? Like how Colorado did with their B12 move? There was no need to act publicly the way they did. They could have easily leaked stories about wanting to leave while denying it.
Who knows? The GOR has their hands tied so they probably felt as though a public fuss with a lot of media attention provided them with the best opportunity to scare other ACC schools and get a deal done.

When you have absolutely no leverage the only play is to yell loudly and hope people mistake that for leverage.

Colorado and FSU were in vastly different situations.

Lots of posts to catch up on.

-A streaming provider (like Youtube) is still using the cable model. It hurts the cable company but the network gets paid the same way. The direct to consumer model (like Apple) is where a difference will be.

-OTA games still care about Markets somewhat when combined with Brand. They don't get paid via subscribers.

-I think there will be plenty of money left for the B18 and SEC for their next contracts. Except instead of one network buying a majority of the rights, they will split the rights into packages that several providers will share.

For example let's say the B18 goes to 24. That will give them 12+ games a week to sell. They can sell Friday Night Football to Amazon. Sell the Saturday Night Game of the Week to NBC. Noon and 3:30 to FOX. Noon and 3:30 to FS1. Sell a Noon, 3:30, and 7:30 to Apple. Have a Noon, 3:30, 7:30 for the BTN. Same for the SEC but with ABC/ESPN and CBS.

The problem is all the money will be tied up in those two conferences leaving not much left for the other conferences.

-I don't see a Super League working in anyway.

First, who decides who makes it and who doesn't? South Carolina has a large fanbase but not a great brand. Would they be worth adding? One could argue that having Rutgers would be better.

Second, you cannot have the majority of teams all in one section of the country. The interest will be poor in the rest of the country. Even the NFL shows games regionally. Not every game will be national TV worthy. ESPN usually does the same with the ABC CFB games as well. And CFB fans who do not have any attachment to these teams are not going to pay multiple subscriptions to watch. You lose a ton of eyeballs.

Third, what makes the big schools marketable is their Brand and Fanbase size. So what do you think will happen to both if teams start going 6-6 instead of 10-2? If the Brands are being tarnished and fans aren't engaged, you lose a lot of eyeballs. People can get excited about seeing 7-1 Oklahoma vs 6-2 Wisconsin. Not so much when it is 5-3 Oklahoma vs 4-4 Wisconsin.

Let's say the Top 32 programs left. In a typical season you likely end up with about 3 teams at 1-2 Ws, about 3 teams at 3-4 Ws, about 3 teams at 8-9 Ws, about 3 teams at 10-11 Ws, and about 18 teams at 5-7 Ws. That will absolutely kill many brands and many fanbase sizes. If you are only seeing 20-25% of the schools have successful seasons vs 75-80% now, it will change things a lot.

I don't doubt there is eventually a breakaway, but I think it will be more like 3 leagues of 24 than one league of 32.
Colleges seem to forget that the reason the NFL TV deals are so large is parity and a salary cap. They want the riches of the NFL without the parity. You need lots of fanbases to be emotionally invested for the model to work.

Game 12 at home against Yukon will be for a bowl berth
Is it sold out yet? Cuse looks like they are poised to have a big year and Yukon looks good as well. Northeastern football storms back.

Is it sold out yet? Cuse looks like they are poised to have a big year and Yukon looks good as well. Northeastern football storms back.

It’s gotta be a sold out game. Even casual fans want to see Yukon play…..

Informative article and shows the ACC was looking and in contact over a year ago. There is zero benefit to adjust tv payouts for FSU or anyone because it won't matter. FSU is still going to leave. No sense in accommodating them.
FSU can go kick rocks. Don’t give them one dime more than anyone else(beyond that new incentivized thing they added to toss them a bone, too soon to reverse that I guess), they can cough up the $500-$600 mil or shut the hell up. This isn’t the NBA where you scream and pout until you force a trade. They can rot in hell and go 0-12 this year

Colleges seem to forget that the reason the NFL TV deals are so large is parity and a salary cap. They want the riches of the NFL without the parity. You need lots of fanbases to be emotionally invested for the model to work.

Right, I don't think that works in the college game.

The NFL has teams spread throughout the country and in most cases each team has a designated market area. Pretty much the entire country is covered and most fans within those market areas follow the local team.

A Super League in college would only cover a few sections of the country. So you are asking a large portion of the country to become bandwagon fans of a school they have zero affiliation with and likely will never see in person. That seems like a poor business model.

Another point I wanted to make is streaming vs OTA. For example, if a Super League had games at Noon, 3:30, 7:30 on FOX and the rest were streamed on Apple (like the MLS deal), that would leave a huge hole for non SL conferences to take advantage of. A non SL game on ABC will have a lot less eyeballs than the SL game on FOX. However, that non SL game on ABC will have more eyeballs on it than the SL games on Apple. Which will allow non SL schools to still flourish and will keep those fans away from fully engaging with the SL until playoff time.

I think the big time FB schools are better off being in two competing 30 team conferences rather than being in one 30 team Super League. Having two will take up all of the available TV slots (kills competition) while also allowing more teams to have successful years (less parity).

I said it before and I'll say it again, FSU was just posturing to get the revenue split conversation going in their favor.
They showed their weakness. Nobody wants them so no need to be overly generous with revenue splitting. Should be some enhanced payment based upon performance but no where near what FSU wants

They showed their weakness. Nobody wants them so no need to be overly generous with revenue splitting. Should be some enhanced payment based upon performance but no where near what FSU wants

Nowhere near what they want or what they deserve.

SU needs to control what it can. Be as good in our key sports as possible. There really isnt anything else that we can do.
This and this means buying tickets and attending in person

Oh and buy a bunch of cable subscriptions and put SU on 24/7 just like Rutgirls.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom