ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 294 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

This x 50. Can somebody please explain to this uneducated dope (me) why North Carolina would be attractive to ANY Super conference? They gave us LT...that's about all I know about their football history. Their name keeps coming up with Fla St. and Clemson as the waiting to leave schools and I can't for the life of me figure out what is so attractive about powder blue on a football jersey? Is the NC television market that sought after?
name recognition/brand and thats it. Their football program blows but they’re the flagship of a university system with hundreds of thousands of alum and the premiere school (arguably) for a state of nearly 10 million people.

I dislike them and their infantile colors

Last edited:
SMU to the ACC feels like DePaul to the Big East.

Regardless, at least we’re doing something. Missed the boat pecking away at the top of the PAC. But need to position ourselves ahead of B12.

Next TV negotiations will be painful for the B12. More dominoes will fall then. I believe they’re next up too, right?

Feels like the Washington Senators moving to Texas, the A's moving to Oakland, and a new team in Anaheim.

SMU to the ACC feels like DePaul to the Big East.

Regardless, at least we’re doing something. Missed the boat pecking away at the top of the PAC. But need to position ourselves ahead of B12.

Next TV negotiations will be painful for the B12. More dominoes will fall then. I believe they’re next up too, right?

A walk on DePauls campus vs a walk on SMUs would dispel that quickly... but as for a non power conference add and geographically absolutely.

(If not already mentioned)
I presume SU hoops will play a long weekend in the Bay Area against Stanford and Cal. Yippee. I live in Reno.

And I can't wait for SU to play these teams on the gridiron out here on the Left Coast. When I lived in the Bay Area, I had Stanford football season tickets. They had some great teams w/Heisman candidates, but alas they were just a surrogate lover to my beloved Orange.

Note to self: Next post I must be less revealing.

ACC chose the best bad option. I am thrilled. The conference has ensured that even if those 3 teams walk, the ESPN media deal is safe. And if more schools walk, there is enough of a foundation that you can likely add a couple G5 schools and still maintain status as a power conference.
The ACC is going to add more schools regardless of whether FSU/Clemson/UNC leave. This is like when the B1G added USC and UCLA and it was obvious Oregon and one or three others were going to be added soon. The ACC is now positioned to raid the Big 12 in a few years, or to add a school like SDSU if they improve their program over the next few years.
Feel bad for OSU and WSU though. Still wish we could have brought them in to. Still think it could have potentially helped significantly when it comes to scheduling. But I will take what we can get
They're just not as good of programs as the ACC can add elsewhere five years. Sympathy is for the weak in this realignment game, it's necessary to make cold-blooded moves.
SMU has donors, but donors can only give away their money for so long if there's no ROI. When you forfeit the kind of money they did, that's a sign of desperation and one I would be wary to attach myself to. That athletic department will be operating on a shoestring budget for the next decade.
They're going to be in the top five spenders on football in the conference immediately. They didn't forego nine years of revenue just to come get their butt kicked by teams outspending them. There's waaaaay more money where that came from.

More likely that politicians got to NCState administration. Being a state school, their purse strings are tied by politicians, much more than UNC Clemson, and FSU has the support of their state government to leave.,

I’m not sure the exact reason behind it, but I’m sure there was a political element to why NC State change their vote.
They likely came to the realistic conclusion that UNC leaving does not necessarily mean that they get invited along for the ride (see UW v. WSU, OK v. OSU, CO v. CSU etc.). My belief has always been that UNC has already spoken at some point with the BiG and SEC and NCSt was not part of those discussions.

Unless some part of that $40BN endowment is earmarked for athletics, its size is totally irrelevant.

They drop $1.5bn for operations from that endowment for the university per year. They are financially very stable.

Financial stability absolutely matters in terms of chasing a check. It also is an indication that, if needed, there is an alum base that can help them.

FSU’s financial trepidation and Stanford’s and how they can make decisions are in two separate universes.

It is absolutely relevant.

The ACC is going to add more schools regardless of whether FSU/Clemson/UNC leave. This is like when the B1G added USC and UCLA and it was obvious Oregon and one or three others were going to be added soon.

This is where my head went as well. If this becomes an all out brawl for #3 in a few years this gives the ACC some geographic benefits to poach the top of the B12

name recognition/brand and thats it. Their football program blows but they’re the flagship of a university system with hundreds of thousands of alum and the premiere school (arguably) for a state of nearly 10 million people.

I dislike them and their infantile colors

I think Michael Jordan being one of the biggest sports name in the world since the early 90s going to your university also helps.

So the new epicenter of the ACC is Dallas? Why not swallow your pride and play in the Mountain West with OSU and Wazzu?
Well Chris, she’s probably talking about Olympic sports as opposed to neutral site FB games. Use your head.

ACC chose the best bad option. I am thrilled. The conference has ensured that even if those 3 teams walk, the ESPN media deal is safe. And if more schools walk, there is enough of a foundation that you can likely add a couple G5 schools and still maintain status as a power conference.

Cant promise the ACC survives forever, but they made the decisive move the PAC refused to.

Feel bad for OSU and WSU though. Still wish we could have brought them in to. Still think it could have potentially helped significantly when it comes to scheduling. But I will take what we can get
Agree.
But no...I am decidedly NOT thrilled.
Much like our move from the OBE to the ACC was unwanted but unavoidable, this move can be seen the same way.
It protects what's most important...the money. That's the base reality of this thing called CR.

I have a feeling our athletes aren't going to be too mad about taking a week long trip to California once a year, lol. The games against Cal and Stanford will always be bunched together on the road.
HS teams have longer bus rides than a private charter to CA. Poor athletes they need to spend an extra 2 hours on the plane

If it successfully positions as #3 - and poaches from the B12 - that's not necessarily true... I'd rather live with something to aim for than go sit in the corner and watch replays of the good old days. College sports as a whole will ultimately evolve into a semi pro model even if it's no longer college sports. Until then we have something for the next few years with this move and then keep going from there as the more cards are put on the table.
People said the same thing about the Big East and all that effectively happened was the majority of the conference reorganized in the ACC. WVU, Cincy and Rutgers could have as well but the ACC didn’t want them at the time.

There will be a place beyond the SEC and B1G and that’s the game now. And if somehow ND can be convinced to become a full member and the malcontent 3 don’t leave maybe even better than that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom