ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 308 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

Updating for the new ACC adds...

Avg by Conf
1. SEC 75,932
2. B18 62,957
3. B12 45,778
4. ACC 44,488
5. PAC 29,324

Interesting that the highest B12 team would be 4th in the ACC. But the B12 schools are all around the same which keeps the avg up.

Median
1. SEC 83,874
2. B18 56,764
3. B12 46,590
4. ACC 42,672
5. PAC 29,324

Interesting that the ACC median is closer to the B18 than the B18 is to the SEC.

SU is now #12 out of 17 in the ACC. The new adds are 11th, 14th, and 17th.

I would say Mr Miller didn't dick around...that's a freakin' "influencer"

When they get to the part where they’re in the room and the total worth of the room is $15 billion, lolllllll.

SMU, man.
I've said this before, SMU could easily duplicate TCU's trajectory if they have the right coach. If the ACC had extended the invitation back in 2021 to join the conference next year, I think they wouldn't have lost Sonny Dykes to TCU.

I've said this before, SMU could easily duplicate TCU's trajectory if they have the right coach. If the ACC had extended the invitation back in 2021 to join the conference next year, I think they wouldn't have lost Sonny Dykes to TCU.

SMU is gonna take down Oklahoma in Norman this weekend.

And all the people watching on ESPN+ are going to take notice.

Not a typo, this game is actually on ESPN+.

SMU is gonna take down Oklahoma in Norman this weekend.

And all the people watching on ESPN+ are going to take notice.

Not a typo, this game is actually on ESPN+.
I gave you post the "Wow" over the game's being on ESPN+. I won't be surprised at all by an SMU win. Nowadays, you can never tell which Oklahoma will show up (assuming they do choose to show up).

The ACC fully believes that FSU and Clemson ARE going to leave the ACC

When? They’re not entirely sure of that yet, but it more than likely will happen.

The importance of adding SMU, Cal and Stanford was so that WHEN FSU and Clemson leave they are above the 15 team threshold in the GOR which means ESPN can NOT renegotiate the media package and give them less $$$$.

It’s not a matter of IF it’s a matter of WHEN regarding Clemson and FSU.

Will it be this next season or the season after that? Very unlikely.
Another benefit of adding SMU, Cal and Stanford is that it provides a bridge for a future western division. I don’t think Arizona, Arizona State and Utah were overly thrilled to be joining the big 12, but it was the best option presented. I think they would rather join a western division with former Pac 12 rivals within the ACC framework.

Adding those 3 with Cincinnati, West Virginia, and UCF would provide for the 3rd best conference should Clemson, Florida State and North Carolina depart

Another benefit of adding SMU, Cal and Stanford is that it provides a bridge for a future western division. I don’t think Arizona, Arizona State and Utah were overly thrilled to be joining the big 12, but it was the best option presented. I think they would rather join a western division with former Pac 12 rivals within the ACC framework.

Adding those 3 with Cincinnati, West Virginia, and UCF would provide for the 3rd best conference should Clemson, Florida State and North Carolina depart

I think you are looking over the ACC academic snobbery. I think Utah and Arizona State are vulnerable if the ACC has a decent gap financially with the next B12 contract. If the ACC can get those 2 and a Texas school to get to 20, it would be great. If the snobbery is in play, I would think TCU is the 3rd team.

If current ACC members depart, I think the snobbery might block Cincy, WV, UCF. I think USF and Tulane get in before any of those 3. I could also see Baylor, assuming Texas Tech and Houston aren't better schools by then. Or even Rice if they become better with the AAC move. Colorado by then might be available as well. And of course the baller move, getting Kansas.

Where these schools are both academically and athletically in 10 years can change drastically. Which makes these scenarios so hard to predict.

I think you are looking over the ACC academic snobbery. I think Utah and Arizona State are vulnerable if the ACC has a decent gap financially with the next B12 contract. If the ACC can get those 2 and a Texas school to get to 20, it would be great. If the snobbery is in play, I would think TCU is the 3rd team.

If current ACC members depart, I think the snobbery might block Cincy, WV, UCF. I think USF and Tulane get in before any of those 3. I could also see Baylor, assuming Texas Tech and Houston aren't better schools by then. Or even Rice if they become better with the AAC move. Colorado by then might be available as well. And of course the baller move, getting Kansas.

Where these schools are both academically and athletically in 10 years can change drastically. Which makes these scenarios so hard to predict.
Yes forgot to mention Houston. Not a bad conference for a nightmare scenario where the ACC loses multiple teams. A return to regional rivalries and geographic normalcy

ACC EAST (2030)
Boston College
Syracuse
Pittsburgh
West Virginia
Virginia Tech

NC State
Duke
Wake Forest
Georgia Tech
UCF

ACC PAC10
Stanford
California
Arizona
Arizona St
Utah

Kansas
Louisville
Cincinnati
SMU
Houston

I doubt that they get the relief that they are seeking but that is a super interesting legal argument.

In theory it makes sense that schools that publicly announced that they are leaving should be forced to relinquish voting rights. If OSU and Wazzu were the only schools with voting power then they could vote to give themselves all future disbursements.

This is the first piece of realignment news that has interested me in a long time. Lol

I doubt that they get the relief that they are seeking but that is a super interesting legal argument.

In theory it makes sense that schools that publicly announced that they are leaving should be forced to relinquish voting rights. If OSU and Wazzu were the only schools with voting power then they could vote to give themselves all future disbursements.

This is the first piece of realignment news that has interested me in a long time. Lol
I’ll be honest. Not reading the article. But would the teams vote to disband be able to keep their March madness credits? I think the pac has 16million in credits.

I hope they can’t, because I don’t believe any of those credits would come to the ACC as Stanford and cal have not been good basketball programs in a while. Cal last made in in 2016 and Stanford last made it in 2014. Yuck.

This is a cool phrase:

He’s not often surrounded by people with more wealth. He was that day.

“It was a hitter’s room,” he said. “A lot of dough.”

I’ll be honest. Not reading the article. But would the teams vote to disband be able to keep their March madness credits? I think the pac has 16million in credits.

I hope they can’t, because I don’t believe any of those credits would come to the ACC as Stanford and cal have not been good basketball programs in a while. Cal last made in in 2016 and Stanford last made it in 2014. Yuck.
If OSU and Wazzu win this suit they could take all of the $50 million in March madness credits owed to the PAC 12

They deserve it. I cannot believe that the PAC had no exit fee.
All the Pac 12 teams will regret leaving. That includes USC and UCLA. Especially those two that set this all in motion. This is a novelty that will certainly wear off and $30M a year is a relatively small amount for a university of that ilk. Athletically, they’ve lost their identity as a West Coast universities. They’ve also ceded their voice as a conference leader. Short sighted. Regret will set in by year three or four.

They deserve it. I cannot believe that the PAC had no exit fee.
There’s not an exit fee because their contract expires this year. Hence they can move freely. Their would have been an exit feee if they had a contract, which expires this year.

All the Pac 12 teams will regret leaving. That includes USC and UCLA. Especially those two that set this all in motion. This is a novelty that will certainly wear off and $30M a year is a relatively small amount for a university of that ilk. Athletically, they’ve lost their identity as a West Coast universities. They’ve also ceded their voice as a conference leader. Short sighted. Regret will set in by year three or four.

70 mill more a year will more than make up for it.

There’s not an exit fee because their contract expires this year. Hence they can move freely. Their would have been an exit feee if they had a contract, which expires this year.
That isn’t how it works. An exit fee isn’t contingent on the TV, that is GOR.

I have no doubt that you are correct on all counts.

Lashlee is well liked by TX HS coaches - he was OC at SMU under Dykes. Good talent will sign with him to play in the ACC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warriors826

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom