ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 65 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

This isn't happening, so another plan needs to be devised. ND has even less of a need than before to join a conference under the new playoff format.
That takes care of ND's football. And I think the Irish assume they can move hoops and Olympics to the BE if they get pressured. Unfortunately, they're probably right.

That takes care of ND's football. And I think the Irish assume they can move hoops and Olympics to the BE if they get pressured. Unfortunately, they're probably right.
I’d be thrilled if they moved their other sports to the BE.

i'd be thrilled if we moved our sports to the BE. Everyone has their head in the sand but that's really where we should be olympic sports wise and bsketball.

Football we're a nomad no matter what. If it's next week or 2035 we are going to be on shaky ground with the football. May as well continue to clip the ACC coupons for now but eventually the ground will let loose on this.

Once 2036 comes, i'd love to see us back at MSG vs UConn, St Johns, Nova, Town, et al and see football with ND, Pitt, BC, WVU, Uconn, Army form some sort of eastern independent scenario where we get a seat at the playoff table, revenue wise we'll sell the games streaming anyway in 13 years or so

You don’t think that the SEC would want UNC and VA Tech?

You don’t think the B1G wants to be in growing population states? And in fertile recruiting grounds?

You don’t think that the networks want a multitude of markets so they can charge advertisers or subscribers?
I don't think the SEC will want FSU and Clemson. UNC and VaTech or NC State maybe.

I don't think the current B1G is going to charge into the Carolinas and Florida without really doing some work to understand what that means. A national conference has never been tried. It presents some real challenges. (I'm not sure LA schools + Rutgers/MD is actually doable. I think next steps might be determined based on how well the current thing works)

I think the networks want those things. But they already have them? What we're talking about is a proxy war between Fox and ESPN. I don't see them pushing for geographic areas as much as fanbases (eyeballs) and there's a reason the ACC is the 3rd or 4th best paid conference currently.

I'm not sure the B1G "got rid" of their commissioner.
Eh, I know - he left! Completely and not at all tied to his comments about adding more PAC12 schools ;)

Eh, I know - he left! Completely and not at all tied to his comments about adding more PAC12 schools ;)
Everything I read was his ultimate goal was to succeed Goodell as NFL commissioner and he felt the Bears job provided the best path to get there. ;)

Everything I read was his ultimate goal was to succeed Goodell as NFL commissioner and he felt the Bears job provided the best path to get there. ;)
Convenient that his goal aligns with the colleges preference that he not be there anymore

Convenient that his goal aligns with the colleges preference that he not be there anymore
Can you provide a link to this?

Can you provide a link to this?
Somewhere in here

Godfrey is a very good reporter, plugged in guy. There's a recent episode on the future of the ACC and the FSU/Clemson stuff. Basically, that they are making a lot of noise because they don't have a lot of options

I will say this again.

1- the ACC has a ton of dead weight. BC and Wake forest are absolutely non existent and help hold the ACC back. Very small colleges that no one outside of alumni’s pay attention too. At least BC is part of Massachusetts and “TV sets”.

2- if the Big does indeed get teams and kills off the PAC the ACC will die. Not today or tomorrow. But by 2030 the ACC will be done. They will be the 4th conference. Everyone will be going onto their second contract and the monetary difference will only expand. By that time the GOR will not mean anything when 3/4 of the teams will vote to disband because they can not compete. It is imperative the ACC is the third conference. If the ACC is the third conference. They would not be on the same level as the SEC and Big 10 but just a small step behind. This would allow them to revist the contract and monetary value. Increasing because of more tv sets with ACC Network. Gives ESPN a late window for television. It would be one conference but different divisions. Travel would not be terrible because you wouldn’t play those teams as often as geographical close teams.

We will know a lot more in the next 2 months. This would be a death shot to the ACC if the big 12 is able to take PAC teams.
ESPN doesn't care about the West Coast, they didn't bid on Pac12.
They aren't going to give the ACC any more money, they have the conference for pennies on the dollar because of Swofford. They are making money off the ACC which they can give to their main conference the SEC.

ESPN doesn't care about the West Coast, they didn't bid on Pac12.
They aren't going to give the ACC any more money, they have the conference for pennies on the dollar because of Swofford. They are making money off the ACC which they can give to their main conference the SEC.
Yep, Swofford was a disaster, but the presidents even more so for allowing it to happen. ESPN has no incentive to give more money, they may throw a few more pennies, but not much beyond that.

You may have a point.

My negative take on it is that, again, ND would seem to get exactly what they want, finding willing partners who bend over backward (to put it delicately) to accommodate them.

I go all the way back to the mid-90's, when they were brought into the Big East to balance the addition of the previously football-only BE's (Rutgers, WVa, etc.). The basketball schools expected ND to support them in hoops-vs-grids disputes. And that's what happened--although ND "abstained" in some cases, that was enough to thwart the football schools.

An SU compatriot was so much against that move that he sent a nasty note to Mike Tranghese. To his credit, Tranghese responded. But that response--"Be patient, there are things happening behind the scenes that will work out for the BE"--was either disingenuous or naive.

IMO the networks will give enough incentive to the B1G and SEC to gobble up Washington, Oregon, Stanford, BYU and/or Utah, Colorado, Arizona State and/or Arizona, Kansas, UNC, UVA, VA tech, Clemson, FSU, GA Tech, Miami. Maybe a few teams outside that make it to get to a round number.

What is leftover from the ACC/P12 isn't worth merging. The B12 could grab some of the scraps.
realignment has never moved that quickly or in that volume at one time

are you ok making like 33% of current payout
I am. You keep making a false premise. The choices are 45% of current in the franken12 or 33% in a northeast conference. What does it matter what we make now if it isn’t an available option in the future?

are you ok making like 33% of current payout
Not now but in the future. And tbh these payouts matter little to nothing to me. Gonzaga payouts have to be lower than ours and have been more successful past 12 years

I am. You keep making a false premise. The choices are 45% of current in the franken12 or 33% in a northeast conference. What does it matter what we make now if it isn’t an available option in the future?
false premise in eyes of you, as you have no way of knowing what would be available in the mixed clear # 3 conference as its not like espn has been reducing payouts when conference realignment happens, they usually honor the contract until it expires and then adjust at renewal.

Gonzaga doesn't have the heavy expense of football or travel expenses to currently worry about
I’m divorcing football from the other decisions

Football is a separate entity. We need to realize the ACC is going to end as it is currently formed in either 1 or 12 years. It’s got too many assets that will look elsewhere

Couple of points.

Notre Dame is not a good conference partner as they will do what is good for ND even if it destroys a conference. Big East learned that and the ACC is learning that as well.

In my opinion, the ACC TV contract is only slightly below market as the TV ratings of ACC football with the exception of a few games is probably <40% of P2 TV ratings. If the ACC voted out Wake Forest and BC tomorrow, it would have almost zero impact on the total value of the TV contract.

Clearly, the TV contract should have had a shorter duration as even if the contract expired this year, the ACC would have gotten at least what they are getting now and maybe someone would have overpaid.

Swofford screwed up the ACC Network launch by selling inventory to Raycom. Maybe the ACCN would be more profitable today if it had started earlier.

The GORs really only handcuffs a couple of ACC schools and is beneficial to most schools including Syracuse. Where are most of the ACC schools going to go? Even FSU and Clemson may not have a lifeline out.

The Big 12 is the 3rd most stable conference. Why? All of the schools recognize that they are not going to the P2 (with the possible exception of Kansas) and they have a decent TV contract. And, it's a better football and basketball conference than the Pac 12 or the ACC, although the ACC should be a better basketball conference.

ACC should grab Washington, Oregon, Arizona, and... WVU. Pounce on the top PAC inventory and smack the Big 12 while they're at it. Brand value is what drives viewership in the streaming age.

It is smart of those schools to keep talks open should the P12 TV contract be crap. But they aren't going to move the needle for the B12 TV contract. The B12 would add Phoenix and Denver to its footprint but would be adding 4 teams, which minimizes the addition.

All four are decent brands but they aren't impact brands. I don't see any of those teams creating regional, let alone national interest. Only local interest. I would think adding ASU, Colorado, Oregon, and Washington is the better play. If you get the later 3, ASU would have no choice but to leave behind Zona. Or even San Diego and USF, if Oregon and Washington say no.

If the P12 does implode, it will be interesting to see if the B1G comes in. I am sure they didn't want to be the ones to kill off the P12, let the B12 do the dirty work. They could then take Oregon, Washington, Stanford, and Cal. Washington State and Oregon State go off to the MWC.
ASU and Zona are a package deal

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom