ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 193 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

Plus ++++. The SMU mascot, Puruna, (small Shetland pony) is the only mascot to kill another mascot. Puruna kicked the Fordham‘s Ram to death in the early 1900’s.
IMG_0431.gif

That’s one sport. We’re sending all the other teams too.
Yes, one trip per sport, although some may not need to play out West in a given year. It's a lot, but probably only 10%, compared to the amount Stanford and Cal have to deal with.

This is absolutely the right move for the ACC at this time. If ND wanted it so bad they could join as full members too. I’m sure every ACC AD and President would have voted Yes if ND said they would commit full time if they took Stanford and Cal. Done with ND trying to get conferences to do what they want for free.

ACC threw them a bone during COVID and got nothing in return.

And Notre Dame's new AD, Pete Bevacqua, used to run NBC Sports.

I don't think anyone at ND is worried.
You are correct. Forgot about that little tid bit. Just find it interesting we are less than a month away from 2023-2024 season and there hasn’t been an announcement yet. Teams/conferences are usually signing these things more than a year out from expiration. I have no idea when their window opens or anything, just found it interesting with all the talk about these giant media deals drying up and a confrence dieing because of no good media deals, that nothing has been mentioned about ND’s pending media deal expiring.

More standing still and doing much of nothing. A winning strategy if ever there was one
You don’t expand just to expand. It’s better to wait until 2031 and expand then. Look at 2011, Big 12 was on its death bed. Lost Nebraska and Colorado, Texas and Oklahoma were on their way out to the PAC until the longhorn network. They rebounded, lost Texas and Oklahoma in the newest wave and still rebounded and ended the PAC conference with a bunch of similar built schools.

If you expand now with leftovers, you dilute the product and look desperate. The damage has been done. Don’t do things you will come to regret. Go back to the drawing board and come up with a plan when conferences are gearing up for their next media deal that may not be as good. We are still going to be the 3rd highest paid conference until 2031.

But….and follow me here….it’s an expense we don’t currently have.
Ah, I get you. I'm presuming that the addition will mean more revenue, that will offset additional costs for travel. Like partial shares for the new comers, and a higher likelihood of increased payout at the next ESPN lookin.

You have heard the old saying that the best deals are often the ones you don't make. I don't know whether taking those 2 or 3 would be good or bad. That is shared with every other person on this and every other fan board.
Yep. If it doesn’t happen I’m not sure anyone can immediately claim any kind of victory. Unless you want things to stay more regional.

So then the play at this point has to be to crush the BIG12 when their contract is up right? Send the house after the big fish? Otherwise I would think we're out of chess moves and the ACC is a dead man walking.

Agree expanding to expand with the left overs dilutes, but SMU itself still seems intriguing.

Ah, I get you. I'm presuming that the addition will mean more revenue, that will offset additional costs for travel. Like partial shares for the new comers, and a higher likelihood of increased payout at the next ESPN lookin.
I think that’s the $8M question. I really don’t know if expansion is good or bad for ACCs future.

I suspect we should not be trying to keep Those who will eventually get a Big or SEC invite. The most important part is ensuring #3 conference status.

I think adding Stanford is a step in that direction.

Also,there’s no real urgency here. We can get these teams at any point I would think. I bet this simmers for a very long time.

Last edited:
You don’t expand just to expand. It’s better to wait until 2031 and expand then. Look at 2011, Big 12 was on its death bed. Lost Nebraska and Colorado, Texas and Oklahoma were on their way out to the PAC until the longhorn network. They rebounded, lost Texas and Oklahoma in the newest wave and still rebounded and ended the PAC conference with a bunch of similar built schools.

If you expand now with leftovers, you dilute the product and look desperate. The damage has been done. Don’t do things you will come to regret. Go back to the drawing board and come up with a plan when conferences are gearing up for their next media deal that may not be as good. We are still going to be the 3rd highest paid conference until 2031.
Cincinnati, West Virginia and UCF come to mind.

Is fat Axel the rock-n-roll equivalent of fat Thor?
Haha yeah pretty much. I know they aren’t what they were but with Axl, Slash, and Duff it’s the closest to the original band that I’ll ever see. Missed my chance in the early 90s.

I think that’s the $8M question. I really don’t know if expansion is good or bad for ACCs future.

I suspect we should not be trying to keep Those who will eventually get a Big or SEC invite. The most important part is ensuring #3 conference status.

I think adding Stanford is a step in that direction.

Also,there’s no real urgency here. We can get these teams at any point I would think. I bet this summers for a very long time.
If ND wants Stanford and Cal so bad then ND can join as a full member. That would solidify the ACC in one step.

But, they won’t.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom