ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 202 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

Interesting that Duke and UNC are out of alignment. I always considered them a block - akin to Cal/‘Ford and USC/UCLA. Guess not.

Also a little surprised UVA was a no and Miami a yes. I would think UVA would love affiliating with Cal and Stanford.

It definitely is Game of Thrones out there. All so silly. Money, Money, Money. It happened to the Olympics during my lifetime. Now CFB. Naked capitalism - in academia. Silly.

Maybe we will end up with one, 64 team conference - with 4 divisions. Seems like total consolidation is the inevitable result? Mirroring industry? (Can’t advance shareholders interests without endless mergers and acquisitions). But I digress.

Not sure how it hurts anyone by adding those 3 schools to the ACC. A school can still leave in 10 years either way if they want.

Your voting power goes down from 6.7% to 5.6% of the overall vote, which isn't significant.

The exit fee won't keep anyone from leaving.

I am thinking that they are holding out to get either more money from ESPN, or change the TV $ distribution.

I can’t see the SEC getting excited for Blacksburg and the Wolfpack. Nothing “additive” about those two.

If they were added it would be to expand the SEC footprint and soften the schedules. Hard to have Texas, Oklahoma, A&M, LSU, Bama, Auburn, Tennessee, Florida, Georgia, FSU, Clemson all winning 9 games at the same time. That becomes a bit easier with VA Tech and NC State. Also those two are FB schools more than UNC or UVA are. And if 4 team divisions become a thing, it is pretty easy to do:

Texas, A&M, Oklahoma, Mizzou
LSU, Arkansas, Ole Miss, Miss State
Bama, Tennessee, Vandy, Kentucky
Auburn, Florida, UGA, South Carolina
FSU, Clemson, NC State, VA Tech

If they were added it would be to expand the SEC footprint and soften the schedules. Hard to have Texas, Oklahoma, A&M, LSU, Bama, Auburn, Tennessee, Florida, Georgia, FSU, Clemson all winning 9 games at the same time. That becomes a bit easier with VA Tech and NC State. Also those two are FB schools more than UNC or UVA are. And if 4 team divisions become a thing, it is pretty easy to do:

You might be right but I’ve never heard “soften the schedules” as a reason for expansion. They either add value or they don’t.

You might be right but I’ve never heard “soften the schedules” as a reason for expansion. They either add value or they don’t.

In a way they add value.

First is by adding two new states to the footprint. That will help with network TV, the SECN, and any subscription based service. VA Tech and NC State are two of the bigger fanbases left.

Second is by allowing the big boys to have better records which will keep those fan bases engaged. I don't think parity will work in the college game.

Third is by having more SEC games in the contract. Adding two teams gives you an extra 8-10 SEC games (depending on how many conf games there are) and an extra 4-6 OOC games. Plus both schools are quality programs. It isn't like they are adding Rutgers and Maryland.

Fourth assuming divisions one day happen, it is easier to get through the entire conference with 5 divisions of 4 teams than 3 divisions of 6. Also having more divisions means more "winners" which allows more programs to have successful seasons at the same time. And with divisions you have more teams in the conference playoff vs just a single championship game. Which brings in more money.

Interesting that Duke and UNC are out of alignment. I always considered them a block - akin to Cal/‘Ford and USC/UCLA. Guess not.
Divorce is always ugly. That's why we have so many lawyers in the world...lol

1 vote short. FSU, Clemson, UNC, and NC State are the no votes, apparently.

Apparently, PAC12 asked for $50M per school from ESPN. ESPN said "goodbye". lol

Sankey would never let the SEC stoop so low that they would pick up NC state of all schools. Perennially mediocre in all sports doesn’t scream “sec addition”

I’m all for the other ACC members setting up electronic billboards on highways near the four naysayers stadiums, ones that say “Only 4000 days until your GOR expires” and work their way down day by day.

Hoo’s what’s the scuttlebutt in Charlottesville - you guys gone to the B1G as soon as it’s possible?
We're not going anywhere before 2035 unless the conference somehow implodes. We've got no reason to leave. And it turns out we weren't the 4th proposed no, NC State was. I was not a happy camper when the story was we were against taking in the 3 teams. While I can see folks' difficulties in taking in Stanford and Cal (primarily over travel), taking SMU should be a no-brainer.

Didn’t the SEC tell Texas A&M they wouldn’t make Texas a member? SEC does what it wants to do.
The veto is only for original SEC members , like Florida and South Carolina.

Can't argue with that logic, carry on.
Well, this is the second conference that Syracuse been in that has this less than symbiotic relationship with Notre Dame where the conference gives every thing that Notre Dame asks for in the hopes of them becoming full partners. It is a distraction from really strengthening the conference and ends up being a factor in the demise of the conference. It benefited Notre Dame to get to play in the conference 1 year during covid and have a season and even get into the playoffs. It benefited Notre Dame to play in the ACC lacrosse league and win a national championship. If it weren't for this relationship with Notre Dame, the ACC would probably already expanded, but they want to have a spot left open for them. And, just like the Big East before it, Notre Dame doesn't give one thought if the ACC ends up dead.

Well, this is the second conference that Syracuse been in that has this less than symbiotic relationship with Notre Dame where the conference gives every thing that Notre Dame asks for in the hopes of them becoming full partners. It is a distraction from really strengthening the conference and ends up being a factor in the demise of the conference. It benefited Notre Dame to get to play in the conference 1 year during covid and have a season and even get into the playoffs. It benefited Notre Dame to play in the ACC lacrosse league and win a national championship. If it weren't for this relationship with Notre Dame, the ACC would probably already expanded, but they want to have a spot left open for them. And, just like the Big East before it, Notre Dame doesn't give one thought if the ACC ends up dead.
That's not ND's fault. I think it's crap, too. But, they are in a position of power. The other conferences are making sure that ND has enough slack to not have to join a conference right now, because they know it would likely be the ACC. But, the longer it plays out, the more likely it will be the B1G. So, they make the playoffs accessible to ND. ND is a pain in the ass, but they are not the real enemy here, the B1G is enemy #1 and SEC #2. At this point, we've been out maneuvered by the other two conferences severely. I doubt there is any way to catch up. Personally, I just love watching SU and I will do it no matter what league we end up in.

That's not ND's fault. I think it's crap, too. But, they are in a position of power. The other conferences are making sure that ND has enough slack to not have to join a conference right now, because they know it would likely be the ACC. But, the longer it plays out, the more likely it will be the B1G. So, they make the playoffs accessible to ND. ND is a pain in the ass, but they are not the real enemy here, the B1G is enemy #1 and SEC #2. At this point, we've been out maneuvered by the other two conferences severely. I doubt there is any way to catch up. Personally, I just love watching SU and I will do it no matter what league we end up in.
Spot on. ND was not the cause of the Big East implosion and is not hindering the ACC. Sure, I want ND in the conference, but it was clear when they joined, everything but football, with and average of 5 games annually. They have kept their agreement and the ACC has benefitted. (Don't forget their joining gave a boo$t to the ACC bottom line)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom