ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 203 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

We will rue the day the ACC turned down Stanford's membership - at least I will. I also think it would have been cool to see SU play in Cal's stadium and have the Bears play in the Dome. I'm indifferent to SMU, but if it was what made Stanford interested in the ACC then I'm fine with it.

Now Stanford will go lobby the B1G for the next year and gain admittance next summer, just like UW and UofO did.

Our wonderful friends at UNC are obviously just waiting for the B1G - the deal is probably already in the works for 2033. Thankfully UVa wasn't against expansion this time.

Spot on. ND was not the cause of the Big East implosion and is not hindering the ACC. Sure, I want ND in the conference, but it was clear when they joined, everything but football, with and average of 5 games annually. They have kept their agreement and the ACC has benefitted. (Don't forget their joining gave a boo$t to the ACC bottom line)
Years ago someone on the tube said, Notre Dame, Americas team! I almost threw up. They ain't my team. You have to give them credit for building a great brand rep. Everyone knows who they are. Join the ACC and I'd be very happy along with Stanford and Cal. I don't think FState goes anywhere with that scenario. State would have to pay a 300M exit fee and they're looking for help from MorganStanley.

However:

thesportingnews.com

"The Irish's new athletic director, Peter Bevacqua, is a Notre Dame alum and former NBC Sports chairman. Smart.

" $22 Million per year right now into ND's coiffers and looking for a new deal. "Notre Dame will be seeking to triple its football rights fees to $65 million to $75 million annually during its next cycle of media negotiations when its current NBC contract expires in 2024. If the Irish can secure that money, then they likely will stay independent." No kidding - really?

But, the TV deal isn't as significant as it once was. You can watch ND play their entire football schedule now - every game - though many other teams have their own TV deals and those fans aren't watching ND.

Interesting times ahead.

Last edited:
We will rue the day the ACC turned down Stanford's membership - at least I will. I also think it would have been cool to see SU play in Cal's stadium and have the Bears play in the Dome. I'm indifferent to SMU, but if it was what made Stanford interested in the ACC then I'm fine with it.

Now Stanford will go lobby the B1G for the next year and gain admittance next summer, just like UW and UofO did.

Our wonderful friends at UNC are obviously just waiting for the B1G - the deal is probably already in the works for 2033. Thankfully UVa wasn't against expansion this time.
I doubt we will rue the day that the ACC decided to not make a desperate and financially unsavvy move. If Stanford goes to the big 10 it wont be to the detriment of the ACC

Last edited:

Totally disagree. I don't see Stanford or Cal as game changers, rather they are like participation trophies, ie; "Everyone else is doing something, we should do something too".
The ACC needs to just go and sit down somewhere. The GOR has us handcuffed, like it or not. If FSU, et al wanna challenge it, they're welcome to do so. But for now, the prudent move is to stay put.

Totally disagree. I don't see Stanford or Cal as game changers, rather they are like participation trophies, ie; "Everyone else is doing something, we should do something too".
The ACC needs to just go and sit down somewhere. The GOR has us handcuffed, like it or not. If FSU, et al wanna challenge it, they're welcome to do so. But for now, the prudent move is to stay put.
I think that the vote may change after Tuesday. FSU has to put their notice in by the 15th or stay at least one more year.

I agree, ESPN has probably made it clear that they don't move the needle, recall that they were offered $30MM with the entire PAC 12.

Well, this is the second conference that Syracuse been in that has this less than symbiotic relationship with Notre Dame where the conference gives every thing that Notre Dame asks for in the hopes of them becoming full partners. It is a distraction from really strengthening the conference and ends up being a factor in the demise of the conference. It benefited Notre Dame to get to play in the conference 1 year during covid and have a season and even get into the playoffs. It benefited Notre Dame to play in the ACC lacrosse league and win a national championship. If it weren't for this relationship with Notre Dame, the ACC would probably already expanded, but they want to have a spot left open for them. And, just like the Big East before it, Notre Dame doesn't give one thought if the ACC ends up dead.
ND came into the ACC in 2012 telling everyone loud, often and up front that football would not be included.

Swofford knew it and was quoted in the press saying so. The school presidents all knew this when they voted ND in.

ND told the Big East that in 1995, as well. Same story.

ND will do anything it can to preserve football independence. It is single minded, consistent and unwavering about it.

ND came into the ACC in 2012 telling everyone loud, often and up front that football would not be included.

Swofford knew it and was quoted in the press saying so. The school presidents all knew this when they voted ND in.

ND will do anything it can to preserve football independence. It is single minded, consistent and unwavering about it.
It's easy to blame the bogeyman. You are correct, ND was clear about the deal and the ACC was well informed of the agreement, yet people want "closure" by laying blame at the bogeyman's feet. ND is the bogeyman for many.

I people want to blame others, they should blame the greedy parties ad the university executives and boards who think they understand the media, which has only made money hand over fist off the schools as long as they have been broadcasting games.

Cal and Stanford are awful programs why don't we just ask Cornell or Colgate if they want to step up?

No fanbase at all their students and alums don't care about pigskin these days and the local population doesn't either.

Very disappointed the SU AD wanted them in the league but we'll do anything to try and make us look better academically.

Cal and Stanford are awful programs why don't we just ask Cornell or Colgate if they want to step up?

No fanbase at all their students and alums don't care about pigskin these days and the local population doesn't either.

Very disappointed the SU AD wanted them in the league but we'll do anything to try and make us look better academically.
SU was likely one of the soft "yes" schools. No need to make waves. I am sure Wildhack is working the back channels, it's his style and he was #2 at ESPN, he knows what he is doing.

I said the same thing last night: adding ND as a full member is the only thing that could potentially truly save the ACC. Everything else is just slapping chewing gum on holes in a sinking boat. Might work for a little bit, but in the long run it’s going to fail and the ship is going to sink.
Fans in those conferences will hate how big they are.

There are 7 or 8 programs better than them in Texas. They would add nothing to the ACC and would make us a new version of the AACK.

Shame on anyone that wanted to add these second rate programs that works for our AD. The conference is already bad in football we can't have more weak programs and play each other less. Being smaller than the SEC/B1G has to be the one positive thing we have going for us which we embrace.
Name the seven Texas teams better than SU.

Ill give you UT and TAMU. After that, give SMU 5 years in a P4 conference and you will see the number 3-5 school. Even as a G5 school, they have as good or better following in Texas as Baylor, TCU, UH, and TTech. They are a cash rich school and alumni and they love football.

Think of how TAMU/donor are spending on NIL deals, SMU would follow that example.

As to you shaming SU for keeping the peace when it is not necessary to stir the pot seems both harsh and foolish. SU has always played the conference game quietly and honestly. Why would you expect less.

Name the seven Texas teams better than SU.

Ill give you UT and TAMU. After that, give SMU 5 years in a P4 conference and you will see the number 3-5 school. Even as a G5 school, they have as good or better following in Texas as Baylor, TCU, UH, and TTech. They are a cash rich school and alumni and they love football.

Think of how TAMU/donor are spending on NIL deals, SMU would follow that example.

As to you shaming SU for keeping the peace when it is not necessary to stir the pot seems both harsh and foolish. SU has always played the conference game quietly and honestly. Why would you expect less.
Voting to add Cal or Stanford means you are OK with UCLA and USC starting this nonsense and signing up to play field hockey games in Piscataway NJ. We are no better than anyone in the B1G if we think its OK to send our athletes there or as theirs to come to us for field hockey games.

Cal and Stanford are fine for the Mountain West neither could really compete in the P12 anyway. Nevada is a similar program to them. Washington State and Oregon State are mirror images of Boise.

There are 4 ugly outliers instead of 2 now sending athletes to New Jersey from California they should be shamed and mocked not supported with votes for Cal and Stanford. UW/Oregon/USC/UCLA can watch their programs die like Nebraskas did (I actually expect Nebraska to return to their glory days ASAP) theres only room for a couple schools at the top and it won't be them it will be Michigan and Ohio State. Laugh at them don't emulate them.

Also why not Rice? Houston to Tallahassee isn't that far?

Can't wait a year and turn U of Houston's eye from the Big 12 if we really want more teams? They would rather play FSU/Clemson/Miami than the second rate Big 12 schools?

Voting to add Cal or Stanford means you are OK with UCLA and USC starting this nonsense and signing up to play field hockey games in Piscataway NJ. We are no better than anyone in the B1G if we think its OK to send our athletes there or as theirs to come to us for field hockey games.

Cal and Stanford are fine for the Mountain West neither could really compete in the P12 anyway. Nevada is a similar program to them. Washington State and Oregon State are mirror images of Boise.

There are 4 ugly outliers instead of 2 now sending athletes to New Jersey from California they should be shamed and mocked not supported with votes for Cal and Stanford. UW/Oregon/USC/UCLA can watch their programs die like Nebraskas did (I actually expect Nebraska to return to their glory days ASAP) theres only room for a couple schools at the top and it won't be them it will be Michigan and Ohio State. Laugh at them don't emulate them.
I get your points and I am not a fan of the coast to coast conferences. However, the schools made their respective decisions.

There were four hard "yes" schools, four "no" schools, the leaves seven soft "yes" schools. SU was one of the seven. There is no need to take a hard position when you need to see a few events and gather data. I hope you don't practice what you preach when you buy a car or house, rather that you take your time, analyze the facts, and make an informed decision. I believe SU is taking their time to make a decision.

Also why not Rice? Houston to Tallahassee isn't that far?

Can't wait a year and turn U of Houston's eye from the Big 12 if we really want more teams? They would rather play FSU/Clemson/Miami than the second rate Big 12 schools?
You may be making points that are being pondered within the ACC. No need to rush. Coming from a person who lacks patience, even I can see they should not rush.

In both cases, Notre Dame said there was a possibility that they would join under certain circumstances. In my eyes Notre Dame is a pariah. Do you really hold your university in such high esteem that you think your better than all the great institutions in this country? Your that special? I can't even express how obnoxious that is.

In both cases, Notre Dame said there was a possibility that they would join under certain circumstances. In my eyes Notre Dame is a pariah. Do you really hold your university in such high esteem that you think your better than all the great institutions in this country? Your that special? I can't even express how obnoxious that is.
Can you cite any such statement?

I don't think that you can because none exist.

Your opinion is noted.

There are 7 or 8 programs better than them in Texas. They would add nothing to the ACC and would make us a new version of the AACK.

Shame on anyone that wanted to add these second rate programs that works for our AD. The conference is already bad in football we can't have more weak programs and play each other less. Being smaller than the SEC/B1G has to be the one positive thing we have going for us which we embrace.

We’re not going to pull any teams from SEC or B1G. More schools and large geography is going to demand more media $. Let’s do nothing which Is why right now we’re the worst p4 conference in basketball and football. Big east also is stronger in basketball. ACC should have try to own east coast and mid Atlantic but they’ve allowed B12 To grab Cin and WV. UConn won’t always be available. The GOR is the only reason the ACC is still together. Half the ACC schools want Syracuse and BC out of the conference.

If you want ND to join a conference, just keep them out of the college Football Playoffs. They would already be in the ACC. Stop bending over backwards to allow ND to have exceptions to everything. Make them play be the same rules and they would no longer be independent.

Travel expenses and maybe at that time the ACC contract is more lucrative.
I could see that, those west coast teams are insane taking on that travel expense and mental toll.

If you want ND to join a conference, just keep them out of the college Football Playoffs. They would already be in the ACC. Stop bending over backwards to allow ND to have exceptions to everything. Make them play be the same rules and they would no longer be independent.
ACC execs are weak. They get bullied by certain schools. This arrangement with ND is ridiculous.

As an SU fan I've always disliked ND; they stole a game from us in 1962 and Tim Brown getting the Heisman over Don MacPherson was a travesty. I have no complaints though about ND's arrangement with the ACC. It's worked well for both sides.

The SEC will always secure ND a spot to make the playoffs to secure ND never has to join a conference because the SEC knows it's very unlikely ND will ever join the SEC.

Every school is out for itself when it comes to seeking football dollars. If SU wasn't out for itself, we'd still be playing in the Big East Tournament at MSG every March.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom