ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 207 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

He didn't bash Christianity at all. He bashed ND for not having those values. Read it again. By the way, I am not saying I agree or disagree with his take,.
I know. I said later in this thread that I should have worded it differently. Notre Dame considers itself the National Catholic University. Football independence, and the ability to play wherever in the country it wants to, has always been seen by ND as one way to spread it's University to the nation and by extension, it's Catholic values to the nation. In my opinion, that is consistent with the goals of Christianity, not in opposition thereto.

Something to consider in the 11-4 vote. Those are the votes of the presidents….not the ADs. I would suspect that the vote among athletic directors it would be more evenly split, and even more no votes. There’s been some reporting that some teams have disagreements among the ADs and president and what to do here. I would think some presidents would be absolutely giddy about having Cal and Stanford join their conference with little thought as to its impact on athletics. Or their belief is the academics outweigh the negative affects of the Athletics.

So I don’t think you can necessarily draw conclusions about how some teams voted and whether that correlates or not to them having a soft landing someplace.
Agreed. Which is, of course, insane since let’s be real: academics have zero to do with an athletic conference.

The schools lovvvvve to pretend it does. But the reality is: Louisville. They never would sniff the ACC if academics meant anything.

Schools saying that conference changes aren’t entirely about money, and that academics have anything to do with it, are both gigantic lies.

Commissioner Yormark is fixated on NYC and dominant basketball conference. Uconn kills both birds; think they will absolutely be plucked up by the Big 12.
UConn Basketball only with Gonzaga

You're right. Probably should have said let's keep the bashing of Christians to the OT board. It's a favorite thing to do over there.
I take exception to that.

Yeah, with the addition of the Four Corners schools, seems like non-football Big 12 members is a dead horse. They're a large enough Conference already, and can now afford to be picky.
Also, why would UConn leave Big East basketball. They just won a Natty selling kids on playing in the Big East.

Also, why would UConn leave Big East basketball. They just won a Natty selling kids on playing in the Big East.
It would be a tough pill for basketball, for sure. But, 30 million/year, and Conference matchups versus Kansas, Arizona, and Baylor would be sexy. Very different from being in the AAC.

Yeah, as a Non-P5 school, Uconn probably wouldn't receive a full share immediately. You're right about that.

the media contract for the big 12 pays an average of 31.8 per year and the payouts start lower and finish above the number no matter p 5 or no, but yes uconn would never get a full share with 0 net football

Look no further than who gets prime networks. Syracuse, NC State, BC, Duke etc. get thrown to ESPN 2 and ESPNU because they don’t draw the eyeballs that an ole miss game does. It’s okay to recognize that the SEC is better overall product than the ACC.
Yeah no disputing who the better league is. Completely agree. Perhaps I misconstrued the question. I was saying that people in the NE going to be less inclined/interested in SEC ball and would likely watch Syracuse because of regional ties to the ACC but then broadened that out to NFL and NFL is different and folks would probably watch that in the NE. SEC is certainly better but people in Syr, Albany, Boston, etc. are not waking up on Saturday to watch SEC football generally speaking.

Yeah, I don't get the ND hate thing either. They do what they do, because they can- plain and simple. The ACC and OBE did a cost benefit analysis and decided adding them was worth it- & frankly it was the smart business decision.
Every school would do the same things ND does if they had the same options. Some folks need to get over themselves.
Don't hate the player, hate the game.
I always agreed with and still do, but ND opening its mouth to try to make the SACC make abad move that ND feels can help ND football is simply not to be accepted. If ND wants Cal and Stanford, ND can jot fully. Otherwise, shut up.

Yeah, with the addition of the Four Corners schools, seems like non-football Big 12 members is a dead horse. They're a large enough Conference already, and can now afford to be picky.
Picking up two of the best basketball brands in Yukon and Gonzaga is exactly what Yormark has mentioned. He wants to split basketball and football media contracts and feels basketball is currently undervalued. If he really starts to put a stronger emphasis on basketball at the next round of expansion, Syracuse, Pitt Louisville, Duke may all be available. That would potentially be the best basketball conference in the country.

FSU can pound salt. I usually always cheer for ACC teams when they step out of Conference, but the Noles no longer. They are now, and until they leave, public enemy #1, in my book. Having said that, they'll now probably win the National Championship.

The conferences were almost fine the way they were….Penn State being in the Big Ten instead of Big East was the one problem. Then VT, and BC started the process of screwing everything up. I’ll let Miami slide since geography wise they fit better in the ACC.

So really, this is all Penn State, VT, and BC’s fault.

I don’t care how accurate that is, that’s what I’m going with.

This is not hard.

Northeast = Big East
Southeast = ACC
Deep South = SEC
Flyovers/Texas = Big 12
Midwest = Big Ten
West coast = Pac 10

Everyone else = conference USA or Mountain West or WAC or whatever, etc.

I will actively root for this to fail spectacularly until everyone stops being stupid and greedy.

Last edited:
Ofcourse off the top SEC brands
They wouldn’t give the preferential spots if it didn’t make financial sense. This is pretty clear and I’m not sure what info anyone has to argue the contrary

Yeah no disputing who the better league is. Completely agree. Perhaps I misconstrued the question. I was saying that people in the NE going to be less inclined/interested in SEC ball and would likely watch Syracuse because of regional ties to the ACC but then broadened that out to NFL and NFL is different and folks would probably watch that in the NE. SEC is certainly better but people in Syr, Albany, Boston, etc. are not waking up on Saturday to watch SEC football generally speaking.
Agree 100%. Conflating “better league” with “more eyeballs” is driving a whole lot of bad decisions in the sport currently.

Assuming Syracuse fans in the NE will just shrug and say “yeah we got screwed and can’t compete” and then care about regional teams elsewhere is not how this sport has ever worked. If you’re looking for committed fans - they are regional (or religiously based like ND).

In both cases, Notre Dame said there was a possibility that they would join under certain circumstances. In my eyes Notre Dame is a pariah. Do you really hold your university in such high esteem that you think your better than all the great institutions in this country? Your that special? I can't even express how obnoxious that is.
Very obnoxious.

Your that special? No they're not, but their fans pretend they are. I for one can't stand their arrogance and high horse attitude and I hope someone beats them badly this year.

So the OBE brought Notre Dame in because of their basketball? LOL. The OBE had just formed their football league by adding WVU, VTech and Miami. Miami was the best program in the country, hands down and I'm sure their was the full expectation that Notre Dame would join and the Big East would be the best basketball conference and the best football conference in the country. Notre Dame balked and the ACC raided and the Big East fell apart.
Very obnoxious.

Your that special? No they're not, but their fans pretend they are. I for one can't stand their arrogance and high horse attitude and I hope someone beats them badly this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom