ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 208 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

Agree 100%. Conflating “better league” with “more eyeballs” is driving a whole lot of bad decisions in the sport currently.

Assuming Syracuse fans in the NE will just shrug and say “yeah we got screwed and can’t compete” and then care about regional teams elsewhere is not how this sport has ever worked. If you’re looking for committed fans - they are regional (or religiously based like ND).
If Syracuse gets relegated my college football watching will get reduced to squat.

DE71B7CD-A504-421B-9EEE-A16D7D3F3125.jpeg

Picking up two of the best basketball brands in Yukon and Gonzaga is exactly what Yormark has mentioned. He wants to split basketball and football media contracts and feels basketball is currently undervalued. If he really starts to put a stronger emphasis on basketball at the next round of expansion, Syracuse, Pitt Louisville, Duke may all be available. That would potentially be the best basketball conference in the country.

I never understood why anyone would be racing to add UCONN let alone the Big 12.

From a FB perspective they were a desperation add to the Big East. There’s a reason why no P5’s have been targeting them.

I think it’s odd that people believe folks in the northeast will never fully support CFB. Prior to the explosion of the NFL, the northeast was a primary region for top CFB.

It’s only the idiots - yes, I’m looking at you ghost of Joe Paterno - who forced the region to remain a disorganized collection of Independents right while the rest of the country was forming power conferences that held the northeast back.

Following that, the Big East FB came and went too fast to really take hold. And now the ACC is headed down the same road. It’s not people in the northeast who refuse to embrace CFB. It’s schools and athletic administrators at these schools who remain short-sighted buffoons.

I think it’s odd that people believe folks in the northeast will never fully support CFB. Prior to the explosion of the NFL, the northeast was a primary region for top CFB.

It’s only the idiots - yes, I’m looking at you ghost of Joe Paterno - who forced the region to remain a disorganized collection of Independents right while the rest of the country was forming power conferences that held the northeast back.

Following that, the Big East FB came and went too fast to really take hold. And now the ACC is headed down the same road. It’s not people in the northeast who refuse to embrace CFB. It’s schools and athletic administrators at these schools who remain short-sighted buffoons.
What hurts College football in the NorthEast is the creation of a fan base, compared to the MidWest and SouthEast, in my opinion. Yes, many more colleges and universities in the Northeast, but they tend to be much smaller. Every year, these big land grant schools are pumping out more alumni, and the gap widens. Also, whether it's weather related or not, youth football is a far cry from that of other parts of the country.

Didn't Paterno want to join the Big East but the Big East rejected PSU because of hoops?

If you asked the typical person on the street in Syracuse what his/her favorite football team is, most will answer Bills, Giants, Jets, Patriots, etc...

Not many people would pick SU. Especially since most of the people living in Syracuse never attended SU and have no connection.

I assume it's the same all over the Northeast.

If you asked the typical person on the street in Syracuse what his/her favorite football team is, most will answer Bills, Giants, Jets, Patriots, etc...

Not many people would pick SU. Especially since most of the people living in Syracuse never attended SU and have no connection.

And, the last 20 years hasn't exactly helped the cause. For my college experience; Syracuse locals, right down to the barber that cut my hair, claimed to support only a winner. For all the inclement weather in CNY, most fans are fair weather ones, just like most everywhere else.

I never understood why anyone would be racing to add UCONN let alone the Big 12.

From a FB perspective they were a desperation add to the Big East. There’s a reason why no P5’s have been targeting them.
You do know that UConn led the series between us when we were in BE

Didn't Paterno want to join the Big East but the Big East rejected PSU because of hoops?

Paterno wanted to start another conference to compete against the Big East. JoePa didn't believe in equal revenue sharing, so his conference never got past the planning stages. If Syracuse sold 20,000 tickets to a basketball game, we would have to share ticket and concession revenue with the rest of the conference; meanwhile when PSU sold 110,000 football tickets JoePa wanted to keep every last dime for himself.

Crouthamel tried to get PSU invited to the BE (for Hoops and Non-Rev sports) but fell 1 vote short. PSU fans insist that JoePa would have turned down the invite anyways because football wasn't involved.

Once the Supreme Court ruled that the NCAA couldn't monopolize all the TV money, and conferences could negotiate separate deals with TV networks, PSU left for a bigger paycheck in the B1G anyways.

Well look at it this way

The SEC needs some whipping boys to give give wins for the top brands.

The SEC will soon find out several big brands will have pissed off fanbases. Instead of 8-11 wins they'll be 5 to 7 wins.
I don't think there is a single ACC school that will be better off in the SEC or Big Ten.

I guess maybe Miami since they have stunk their entire time in the ACC. I could see Clemson becoming a whipping boy quickly if they went to the SEC.

The Ivy league was major college football until the 1950's so the state schools in New England didn't have a chance to compete with their money and power and didn't try.

I don't think there is a single ACC school that will be better off in the SEC or Big Ten.

I guess maybe Miami since they have stunk their entire time in the ACC. I could see Clemson becoming a whipping boy quickly if they went to the SEC.

True. But it didn’t/doesn’t have to be that way.

Prior to the formation of the BE….
In the 70s, the northeast schools wanted to collect themselves into an all sports conference. PSU (and Joe) said they would join, but not for football. The concept stalled, and got back-burnered. Enter Dave Gavitt. The rest is history.

The NFL is at a different stratosphere compared to college football everywhere outside of SEC country and maybe Ohio/Michigan and that’s only because the Lions and Browns have been horrible for decades and the gap continues to widen.

You do know that UConn led the series between us when we were in BE
Their best years coincides with Greg Robinson era and Marrone shockingly sucked against them early on.

Same with Rutgers (our fall off was their gain)

We have smoked them the last four times we played and I don't give a fruckk what the NCAA says, the series is 6-6, Syracuse on a four game win streak against them, and we will continue that stretch moving forward

Last edited:
Georgetown, St Johns, and Villanova. Syracuse should have told them change your vote or we leave. At the time they needed us more then we needed them.

Miami cares about the Dolphins more than anything outside of a 20 year span the Hurricanes were good. It’s very much a pro sports town. My parents lived there and had Season tickets to the Dolphins. They did not follow the University of Miami at all and they played in the same stadium.

Georgetown, St Johns, and Villanova. Syracuse should have told them change your vote or we leave. At the time they needed us more then we needed them.

Where were we gonna go in 1983?

Did you really want to bail on the Big East (and ESPN and MSG) to join a basketball conference with Temple, PSU, and Rutgers?

Nobody leaves the BE to join the A-10.

I always agreed with and still do, but ND opening its mouth to try to make the SACC make abad move that ND feels can help ND football is simply not to be accepted. If ND wants Cal and Stanford, ND can jot fully. Otherwise, shut up.
Absolutely. They shouldn't even have a full vote, IMO.
It takes a lot of chutzpah to weigh in on CR, especially since everyone knows you have the power to save the conference.
When it comes to expansion, they need to go sit down somewhere...and have several seats

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom