ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 209 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

Prior to the formation of the BE….
In the 70s, the northeast schools wanted to collect themselves into an all sports conference. PSU (and Joe) said they would join, but not for football. The concept stalled, and got back-burnered. Enter Dave Gavitt. The rest is history.
But then after the Big East formed my understanding is that Penn State applied for full membership in the Big East and was denied by a 5 to 3 vote primarily by basketball only schools. That was the problem with the hybrid Old Big East where basketball only schools did nothing to protect the football schools. It's also why John Thompson and Lou Carnesecca were full of crap in "Requiem for the Big East."

It’s laughable how ungodly stupid schools outside the northeast and midwest are with money

Absolutely. They shouldn't even have a full vote, IMO.
It takes a lot of chutzpah to weigh in on CR, especially since everyone knows you have the power to save the conference.
When it comes to expansion, they need to go sit down somewhere...and have several seats
The no votes are interesting. Of course FSU, Clemson and UNC almost certainly have invitations to the B1G/SEC, but I can't imagine NCST does. Is NCST voting no to blow up the league and would rather go to the Big 12? If that were to happen the ACC won't be part of top line college football and the 3 big conferences would lock down the playoffs for themselves. At that point Notre Dame will have to join the B1G. The only way this result can be changed is if Notre Dame joined the ACC now for football, that would ensure the ACC remains in the game. It's some high level poker being played.

NCSt and UNC have the same overlord

From SouthernConfFan at Csnbbs.com

They have this funny thing in common - a signature from the UNC System President.

Clementine Spangler - C. D. Spangler has his signature on both.

I realize that might be difficult to fathom for some, but on any major issue the UNC Board of Governors dictates to the President what the vote will be. The concerns and wishes of the Athletic Directors at UNC-Ch and NC State will be taken under advisement. The preference of the two Boards of Trustees will be heard and taken under advisement. But the real decision on something like this comes from the BOG and the BOG is appointed by President Pro Tem of the Senate and the Speaker of the House. That's how North Carolina works.

Last edited:
The no votes are interesting. Of course FSU, Clemson and UNC almost certainly have invitations to the B1G/SEC, but I can't imagine NCST does. Is NCST voting no to blow up the league and would rather go to the Big 12? If that were to happen the ACC won't be part of top line college football and the 3 big conferences would lock down the playoffs for themselves. At that point Notre Dame will have to join the B1G. The only way this result can be changed is if Notre Dame joined the ACC now for football, that would ensure the ACC remains in the game. It's some high level poker being played.
They are pinning their hopes on that UNC thumbs their nose at the SEC, and joins the higher academic quality B1G. Then, SEC still wants a North Carolina presence, and voila.

I would think NCST's preferred landing spot would be the SEC, with the BigXII second (assuming they want to leave the ACC).

They consider themselves big time (even though they will always be Moo U).

Miami cares about the Dolphins more than anything outside of a 20 year span the Hurricanes were good. It’s very much a pro sports town. My parents lived there and had Season tickets to the Dolphins. They did not follow the University of Miami at all and they played in the same stadium.
The Dolphins half packed stadium year in and out says the fans don’t care much about pro football either.

If you asked the typical person on the street in Syracuse what his/her favorite football team is, most will answer Bills, Giants, Jets, Patriots, etc...

Not many people would pick SU. Especially since most of the people living in Syracuse never attended SU and have no connection.

I assume it's the same all over the Northeast.
Sure but that’s pro football, which is the most popular sport in America. There are in fact Syracuse fans all over upstate New York, from Buffalo to Albany, Watertown to Binghamton. When Cuse is good, the fans come out. We just need to get consistently good again.

“Us”

Joined Tuesday and has spoken nothing, but UConn PR spin. I think you’re missing the BYard.
I graduated in 85. I would like UConn and Syracuse to play BB again annually and would like them back in the garden.

The belief has been that NC State and Va Tech will go to whichever of the super-conferences that doesn't get UNC and UVa because both want better access to NC and VA.

Notre Dame will do anything and everything it can to avoid going to the B1G. The biggest congregations of their alums are on either coast and in Chicago, which is why the like the ACC. Their fans hate the idea that their hockey teams have to play in the B1G because the hockey conferences are mandated by the NCAA to be regional and they were forced to leave Hockey East.

Last edited:
I would think NCST's preferred landing spot would be the SEC, with the BigXII second (assuming they want to leave the ACC).

That could be. I do think the teams voting yes see that if the ACC doesn't do something proactive, the conference is on borrowed time and the next vote will be to dissolve the conference.

FSU can pound salt. I usually always cheer for ACC teams when they step out of Conference, but the Noles no longer. They are now, and until they leave, public enemy #1, in my book. Having said that, they'll now probably win the National Championship.
For sure…..now play the What if? game. Turn The clock back to 2021. SU at FSU. Game tied and that third and seven call/no call which basically gave FSU the game.

The heat was on that FSU team in light of their already terrible start. They lose that home game and who knows what happens to their program. In addition, that play may also have been a jumpstart moment for Jordan Travis.

Obviously you never know what happens if the flag is thrown but FSU boosters are not well known for their patience. Could have really pushed them into a different mode all together.

For the FSU folks that try to tell you their lineman’s hands were inside the pads, ask yourself how many times that penalty is flagged when you have an offensive player in open space trying to get to the perimeter……like 90 percent.

Now you have a school who significantly underperformed versus what they were being relied upon in an era where it mattered a lot barking at the rest of the conference.

SUOrange44

For sure…..now play the What if? game. Turn The clock back to 2021. SU at FSU. Game tied and that third and seven call/no call which basically gave FSU the game.

The heat was on that FSU team in light of their already terrible start. They lose that home game and who knows what happens to their program. In addition, that play may also have been a jumpstart moment for Jordan Travis.

Obviously you never know what happens if the flag is thrown but FSU boosters are not well known for their patience. Could have really pushed them into a different mode all together.

For the FSU folks that try to tell you their lineman’s hands were inside the pads, ask yourself how many times that penalty is flagged when you have an offensive player in open space trying to get to the perimeter……like 90 percent.

Now you have a school who significantly underperformed versus what they were being relied upon in an era where it mattered a lot barking at the rest of the conference.

SUOrange44
That game still makes my blood boil. That Travis run along the sideline, after pretending to go out... Obvious hold on Wax. I'm still hoping for Novell to not know what to do with all the talent. But, I get the sinking feeling it's like wishing for Hurley's coaching to submarine the Huskies during the Tourney.

Whatever. The post is about conference realignment. Cinci wV Pitt UConn BC Rutgers and Syracuse should be in the conference.
Why on earth would we add a football program that couldn’t hack it in the AAC which is also in a small market and that no one in the tri state area really cares about? Yeah let’s legitimize them to further dilute the NE recruiting waters.

And this is a realignment discussion on the FB board so I don’t want to hear about BB.

Man Cal, SMU, Stanford and Uconn could have made a lot of sense
Reasonable people can differ on adding any of these other than SMU. Btw I read recently that UConn athletics has a deficit of over $50mm as is. That and they were called out this week in a front page WSJ article (along with a number of other public universities including PSU) for profligate spending which has then been dropped on students through tuition hikes.

Reasonable people can differ on adding any of these other than SMU. Btw I read recently that UConn athletics has a deficit of over $50mm as is. That and they were called out this week in a front page WSJ article (along with a number of other public universities including PSU) for profligate spending which has then been dropped on students through tuition hikes.
Good point. I left out the debt part.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom