ACC Projections | Syracusefan.com

ACC Projections

anomander

Living Legend
With ACC media day coming up I thought i'd share my thoughts as to how I see the ACC shaking out. Look forward to seeing everyone else's projections as well.

Atlantic

1. FSU - Pretty obvious. Just too much talent top to bottom
2. Clemson - Same as FSU don't think they will be as good as last year, but still too much talent with great coordinators on both sides of the ball.
3. Cuse - May be a homer pick, but we have the advantage getting the Cards at home where we have had a ton of success against them.
4. Louisville - imo a bit over rated and will struggle at times. New staff wanting to do different things with old personnel. Anytime losing someone like Bridgewater you will take a step back.
5. NCST - Rest of Atlantic should be bad with 3 teams rebuilding to a point. NCST most talented.
6. Wake Forest - Just because I really like Clawson
7. BC - Rebuild year. Lose a ton of talent, and will be short scholarship players.

Coastal

1. North Carolina - Other then FSU, and Clemson probably the most talented team. They definitely have the toughest schedule having to play Clemson for their crossover.
2. Virginia Tech - Easiest schedule, and an always reliable defense.
3. Pitt - My sleeper team. Boyd is ready to emerge into a stud. Voytik may be an upgrade at qb.
4. Miami - Losing Ryan Williams will be tough, but still a lot of talent.
5. Duke - Most over rated team in country. Played a Rutgers like schedule last year, and had a good half vs FSU. Texas AM had worst defense in country.
6. GT - Paul Johnson's last year
7. Virginia - Mike London's last year.

Shocking how big of a mess the coastal division is right now. Pretty much agree with your Atlantic assessment. I think CUSE and Louisville are a toss up for 3 and 4, all depends on how petrino is able to run his offense this year. Usually takes a year or two to implement properly and they dont have the pieces for his offense yet so I think there is a good chance for us to take 3rd ahead of them. Not to mention their defense will be completely new to them, switching to a 3-4 and lost both of their safeties. More I think about it, I think they are 4 and we are 3.

BC and Wake will be the two worst teams in the confrence. Idk who is worse, and they are both replacing all their big time offensive weapons, not a recipe for success.

Coastal, I dont even know where to begin.

I think I would go:

Miami- I think they are probably one of the most talented teams. They lose the QB but Duke Johnson is their offense. The kid is a stud if he can stay healthy. Only thing in their way is their schedule, they get FSU at home, at Louisville, and at VT who has given them fits, at nebraska.

North Carolina- I want to put them number one because of their talent level and their schedule which is extremely easy compared to Miami's. Their only game that looks extremely difficult on paper is at clemson (which will be down this year with all their new starters). The only reason I cant put them number 1 however is because Carolina has had some of the best talent in that division for the last 3-4 years and just cant seem to put it all together. They had an opportunity last year after starting so poorly (started 1-5 and got beat down by East Carolina 55-31) and still had a chance to win the division the last week of the season and couldnt beat Duke who you said was the most over rated team in the country (which I in large part agree with). So Im not exactly sure they can win the division.

Pitt- Favorable schedule and a lot of talent on offense. Return their offensive line and Boyd will be a stud. They avoid FSU, CLEMSON, and Louisville, they havent lost to us at home since 2011 and get GT, DUKE, VT all at home and start the confrence slate at BC who will be very down this year. Their schedule could very easily propel them to the top spot.

Duke- Not sure they were that good last year, only game that surprised me was the miami beatdown but that was without duke johnson and miami just wasnt the same without him. They beat up on the little guys last year and lost games they shouldnt have lost if they were going to win the division. They almost won it by default last year. They do return both of their QB however, so they may be even better on offense, but they lose some playmakers on defense, which wouldnt have been very good if it wasnt for all the turnovers they forced. But the saying is, "if you have 2 QBs, you dont really have a QB".

VT- Virginia Tech has just went downhill the last couple years. Thomas was awful for them at QB, maybe its addition by subtraction but if he was starting their must not have been much behind him. I think our old friend Beamer may be on the hot seat.

GT- Gimick offense that everyone has seemed to figure out, that is besides Syracuse (disclamer, our first time going against the triple option) and VT, who continues to struggle with GT on a yearly basis.

Virgina- 0-8 in confrence last year, cant see them making a big turnaround in one year.

If I was voting.I have SU 3rd because I think Miami goes into Louisville and beats them in a revenge game from last year's bowl game without Bridgewater.

Atlantic
1. FSU
2. Clemson
3. Syracuse
4. Louisville
5. NC State
6. Boston College
7. Wake Forest

Coastal
1. North Carolina
2. Virginia Tech
3. Miami
4. Duke
5. Pittburgh
6. Georgia Tech
7. Virginia

Shocking how big of a mess the coastal division is right now. Pretty much agree with your Atlantic assessment. I think CUSE and Louisville are a toss up for 3 and 4, all depends on how petrino is able to run his offense this year. Usually takes a year or two to implement properly and they dont have the pieces for his offense yet so I think there is a good chance for us to take 3rd ahead of them. Not to mention their defense will be completely new to them, switching to a 3-4 and lost both of their safeties. More I think about it, I think they are 4 and we are 3.

BC and Wake will be the two worst teams in the confrence. Idk who is worse, and they are both replacing all their big time offensive weapons, not a recipe for success.

Coastal, I dont even know where to begin.

I think I would go:

Miami- I think they are probably one of the most talented teams. They lose the QB but Duke Johnson is their offense. The kid is a stud if he can stay healthy. Only thing in their way is their schedule, they get FSU at home, at Louisville, and at VT who has given them fits, at nebraska.

North Carolina- I want to put them number one because of their talent level and their schedule which is extremely easy compared to Miami's. Their only game that looks extremely difficult on paper is at clemson (which will be down this year with all their new starters). The only reason I cant put them number 1 however is because Carolina has had some of the best talent in that division for the last 3-4 years and just cant seem to put it all together. They had an opportunity last year after starting so poorly (started 1-5 and got beat down by East Carolina 55-31) and still had a chance to win the division the last week of the season and couldnt beat Duke who you said was the most over rated team in the country (which I in large part agree with). So Im not exactly sure they can win the division.

Pitt- Favorable schedule and a lot of talent on offense. Return their offensive line and Boyd will be a stud. They avoid FSU, CLEMSON, and Louisville, they havent lost to us at home since 2011 and get GT, DUKE, VT all at home and start the confrence slate at BC who will be very down this year. Their schedule could very easily propel them to the top spot.

Duke- Not sure they were that good last year, only game that surprised me was the miami beatdown but that was without duke johnson and miami just wasnt the same without him. They beat up on the little guys last year and lost games they shouldnt have lost if they were going to win the division. They almost won it by default last year. They do return both of their QB however, so they may be even better on offense, but they lose some playmakers on defense, which wouldnt have been very good if it wasnt for all the turnovers they forced. But the saying is, "if you have 2 QBs, you dont really have a QB".

VT- Virginia Tech has just went downhill the last couple years. Thomas was awful for them at QB, maybe its addition by subtraction but if he was starting their must not have been much behind him. I think our old friend Beamer may be on the hot seat.

GT- Gimick offense that everyone has seemed to figure out, that is besides Syracuse (disclamer, our first time going against the triple option) and VT, who continues to struggle with GT on a yearly basis.

Virgina- 0-8 in confrence last year, cant see them making a big turnaround in one year.

A few comments caught my eye.

GT has a "Gimmick offense that everyone as seemed to figure out."?

Huh?

GT led the ACC in rushing by over 1000 yards - the Yellow Jackets had nearly 4000 yards rushing.

And GT was fourth in the ACC in total offense - without throwing the ball all that much.

You can call a veer offense or triple option offense a "gimmick," but it seems that nobody has figured out a way to stop.

SU was not alone in the trouble it had last year with the Rambling Wreck.

I disagree that VT gets better simply because it lost to the NFL a great athlete at QB. That doesn't make sense to me.

And I suspect that UVA will be improved this year.

Finally, Louisville will have no problem implementing Petrino's offense and BC will be better than you think.

A few comments caught my eye.

GT has a "Gimmick offense that everyone as seemed to figure out."?

Huh?

GT led the ACC in rushing by over 1000 yards - the Yellow Jackets had nearly 4000 yards rushing.

And GT was fourth in the ACC in total offense - without throwing the ball all that much.

You can call a veer offense or triple option offense a "gimmick," but it seems that nobody has figured out a way to stop.

SU was not alone in the trouble it had last year with the Rambling Wreck.

I disagree that VT gets better simply because it lost to the NFL a great athlete at QB. That doesn't make sense to me.

And I suspect that UVA will be improved this year.

Finally, Louisville will have no problem implementing Petrino's offense and BC will be better than you think.

- It is a gimick offense, just happens to be more succesfull then most. No one runs the ball anymore so teams are unprepared when they come up against a team that only runs. I say they will struggle because GT almost fired Paul Johnson last year, usually coaches dont recover from that kind of talk. Plus, from reports he almost wanted it to happen. Seems like he is very unhappy and that doesnt usually translate to on field success. Plus they lost 6 defensive starters. I think they will struggle.

- Before the last two years, VT has won 10 or more games since 2004. The past two years they won 7 and 8 games respectively with very easy schedules. Logan Thomas threw for 34 touchdowns and 29 interceptions over the last 2 years. Those interceptions lost them games, absolutely killers. In the last two years, 8 of those 15 wins came against the likes of western carolina, east carolina, marshall, viginia x2 (won 6 games in 2 years), rutgers, austin peay, bowling green state. Way to rack up wins against some less then stellar competition. Hence I dont think they are losing very much in Logan thomas.

-Your Louisville arguement doesnt make to much sense to me then if you are saying VT will struggle after losing Thomas, but dont think Louisville will struggle after losing Bridgewater who I thought was the best QB coming into the draft this year. Brand new staff, brand new QB, brand new defensive scheme. You seem so confident it will work right away, Petrino has had some down years during his first year with a program. I just dont see how with all those losses and new additions your so confident that his offense will work right away and even if it does they lost a ton on defense, starting a new whole defensive scheme which you need to recruit a different breed of player for (3-4), and they lost one of the best defensive minds in college football (strong).

-BC lost their entire offensive in their RB, they also happened to lose their starting QB, leading wr, and their two starting offensive tackles. They are replacing a QB with another QB who was 2-4 at Florida. They lost their best WR, who accounted for 50 percent of the teams WR production. Their RB was their offense with over 2,000 rushing yards. They lost a total of 4,243 yards out of 4,774 to graduation. Thats a lot of production to lose and finish higher than 6, State has a lot more talent, but talent doesnt always win out.

- It is a gimick offense, just happens to be more succesfull then most. No one runs the ball anymore so teams are unprepared when they come up against a team that only runs. I say they will struggle because GT almost fired Paul Johnson last year, usually coaches dont recover from that kind of talk. Plus, from reports he almost wanted it to happen. Seems like he is very unhappy and that doesnt usually translate to on field success. Plus they lost 6 defensive starters. I think they will struggle.

- Before the last two years, VT has won 10 or more games since 2004. The past two years they won 7 and 8 games respectively with very easy schedules. Logan Thomas threw for 34 touchdowns and 29 interceptions over the last 2 years. Those interceptions lost them games, absolutely killers. In the last two years, 8 of those 15 wins came against the likes of western carolina, east carolina, marshall, viginia x2 (won 6 games in 2 years), rutgers, austin peay, bowling green state. Way to rack up wins against some less then stellar competition. Hence I dont think they are losing very much in Logan thomas.

-Your Louisville arguement doesnt make to much sense to me then if you are saying VT will struggle after losing Thomas, but dont think Louisville will struggle after losing Bridgewater who I thought was the best QB coming into the draft this year. Brand new staff, brand new QB, brand new defensive scheme. You seem so confident it will work right away, Petrino has had some down years during his first year with a program. I just dont see how with all those losses and new additions your so confident that his offense will work right away and even if it does they lost a ton on defense, starting a new whole defensive scheme which you need to recruit a different breed of player for (3-4), and they lost one of the best defensive minds in college football (strong).

-BC lost their entire offensive in their RB, they also happened to lose their starting QB, leading wr, and their two starting offensive tackles. They are replacing a QB with another QB who was 2-4 at Florida. They lost their best WR, who accounted for 50 percent of the teams WR production. Their RB was their offense with over 2,000 rushing yards. They lost a total of 4,243 yards out of 4,774 to graduation. Thats a lot of production to lose and finish higher than 6, State has a lot more talent, but talent doesnt always win out.

I really wasn't commenting on Paul Johnson's relationship with Ga Tech administrators.

I was commenting on your notion that "everyone" has figured out how to stop a well-run triple option offense.

That notion is simply not true. It is a fact that Ga Tech rushed for nearly 4000 yards - more than 1000 yards more than any other ACC team, and ranked fourth in total offense. That to me is a very successful season. The triple option is not a gimmick. It is an offense that has been around for as long as I have been watching football. And, when run well, it works.

But, aside from semantics, your comment that Syracuse University was the only team in the ACC that could not figure out how to stop Ga Tech was not true.

As far as Va Tech is concerned, I think you might have misunderstood me.

I did not say that that Va Tech will struggle without Logan Thomas. I simply reacted to your observation that Va Tech is better off without him. I don't see that as being true.

As far as Louisville is concerned, Bobby Petrino may be the best offensive mind in the college game. I suspect that his offense will do well this year, even with the loss of Teddy B. Petrino has had too much success too quickly for me to think otherwise.

BC has suffered some personnel losses no doubt, but I think Addazzio has done well there so far and I suspect that he will do better than you presume.

Interesting reading, thought I disagree with much of what you say.

I really wasn't commenting on Paul Johnson's relationship with Ga Tech administrators.

I was commenting on your notion that "everyone" has figured out how to stop a well-run triple option offense.

That notion is simply not true. It is a fact that Ga Tech rushed for nearly 4000 yards - more than 1000 yards more than any other ACC team, and ranked fourth in total offense. That to me is a very successful season. The triple option is not a gimmick. It is an offense that has been around for as long as I have been watching football. And, when run well, it works.

But, aside from semantics, your comment that Syracuse University was the only team in the ACC that could not figure out how to stop Ga Tech was not true.

I did not say that that Va Tech will struggle without Logan Thomas. I simply reacted to your observation that Va Tech is better off without him. I don't see that as being true.

As far as Louisville is concerned, Bobby Petrino may be the best offensive mind in the college game. I suspect that his offense will do well this year, even with the loss of Teddy B. Petrino has had too much success too quickly for me to think otherwise.

BC has suffered some personnel losses no doubt, but I think Addazzio has done well there so far and I suspect that he will do better than you presume.

I'm also in the belief BC will struggle mightily this year. Not only do they lose basically all of their big playmakers, but Addazzio cut some 20 odd scholarship players. If they have any sort of injury problems they will be playing with true Freshman, and walk ons.

-Maybe I shouldnt have said everyone figured it out, but they won 9 and then 11 games during Paul Johnson's first two years at Georgia Tech. They proceeded to win 6, 8, 7, and 7 respectively since. They have made a bowl game every year, and are only 1-5 in those games. They have yet to beat Georgia. They are obviously going to have the most rushing yards because that is what their offense is predicated upon, just like gimmick passing offensses rack up yards because they throw the ball 55-60 times a game. They are going to get their yards. Even though they had 1,000 more yards then the second best rushing team, they had 190 more carries. They werent even first in yards per rush. Since 2010, Georgia Techs average yds/game has decreased every year. Interestingly enough, the years where they ran for the fewest yards per game, they won the most amount of games. Seems according to the stats, people have started to figure out their offense, especailly because technically, Paul Johnson should have the right players implemented by now for his offense, something he didnt have with Chan Gailey recruits, yet those were his most successful teams, where they didn't run as much. So he is getting better players for his system, and their rushing yards per game are decreasing. Average per attempt is roughly the same, so im not really sure you can draw much from that. This is why I call it a gimmick offense.

2008- 49 attempts, 273 yd/g, 5.6 yd/avg, 2.5 td-----------9 wins
2009- 56.6 attempts, 295 yds/g, 5.2yd/avg, 3.4td----------11 wins
2010- 57.9 attempts, 323.4 yds/g, 5.6avg, 2.4td------------6 wins
2011- 55.2 attempts, 316.5yds/g, 5.7avg, 3.5td-------------8 wins
2012-57.7 attempts, 311.2yds/g, 5.4avg, 3.4td--------------7 wins
2013-54.8 attempts, 299.7yds/g, 5.5avg, 3.5 td------------7 wins

-VT, again, Logan thomas almost threw as many interceptions over the last 2 years as he did touchdowns. Their defense has always been pretty good, and was very good last year. Interceptions are killers, if they rely on the run more and dont turn the ball over as much, they have a chance of winning a lot more games with that defense. Thats why I say it might be addition by subtraction. Turnovers directly impact the game, and its almost impossible to win if you lose the turnover battle. They were losing the turnover battle a lot these last two years because of his interceptions.

-Iv said a thousand times on this board that Petrino at Louisville scares me because of his offensive mind. Brilliant offensive mind and I think they will be very good with him. He did wonders at Lousiville before leaving to NFL and did amazing things at Arkansas. First year at Lousiville he took over a team in CUSA which was coming off a 7 wins, but won 18 games the previous two years (9 and 11 respectively) and took them to 9 wins. Took over an 8 win Arkansas team and won 5 games his first year. Took over a 7 win western kentucky team and won 8 games his first year. Louisville lost a lot from last year, and with all their new personnel and playbook, I think they will struggle. Especially on defense, obviously we disagree.

-Dont exactly understand how you can be so high on BC, already gave my reasons why I think they will struggle. Even if they do start hot out of the gate, I expect them to get worn down and beat up with all their players missing. As anomander said, they lost like 20 scholarship players. Our teams when Marrone took over struggled at the end of the year because he ran so many people out of town and we just didnt have the depth to compete over the course of the year. So although I dont expect BC to be good this year, I dont believe it will last even if they do start much better then anticipated.

Clearly we disagree, but good disscussion none the less.

I think Pitt could honestly win the coastal.

Ville success hinges on the QB. Do they have the personnel to implement what he wants to do? And I don't recollect what petrino has done defensively.

I like Pitt in the coastal.

I think if we were there we win.

anomander said:
I'm also in the belief BC will struggle mightily this year. Not only do they lose basically all of their big playmakers, but Addazzio cut some 20 odd scholarship players. If they have any sort of injury problems they will be playing with true Freshman, and walk ons.

If this is the case it may be good to have them last game of the season with them coming off a game against Fla St. Remember how banged up our team was after that fla st. game last year?

Im trying to figure out how BC is getting 4th place votes ahead of us, this isn't the first person I'v seen do it either. They were completely gutted (lost something like 20 scholarship players) and lost their whole offense from last year. They are starting a new QB, WR (replacing over 50% of receiving yards), RB (their best player and their entire offense), and two brand new offensive tackles. We beat them last year, and return almost everyone. We return everyone on offense (except jerome smith), and lose arguably our two best defensive players but return more depth and skill then we have in the past 10 plus years. I think they will be terrible, but I could see the argument for 5th place because Wake is just as bad and NC state is really an unknown at this point. I just can't see how so many people are picking a team with no depth, and starting an entirely new offense to finish ahead of Syracuse. IDK, maybe I still have my orange colored shades on

We did lose Bridgewater, one of the best QBs to ever play here, but his backup is more than capable of filling his shoes. Will Gardner was a highly recruited 4 star player out of Alabama and had an offer from Nick Saban among others, but tore his ACL during his junior season and a bunch of schools backed off. Petrino's offense is EXTREMELY QB friendly unlike the monstrosity of a scheme our previous OC ran. We also return 5/6 of our top WRs including Devante Parker who was projected as a first round NFL pick, along with 2/3 RBs, 4/5 OL, and our best TE.

We'll take our lumps of defense but I'm optimistic because Vance Bedford (our old DC) played a lot of backups last season and ran a ton of 3-4 and 3-3-5 to go along with our base 4-3 defense. Petrino hired Todd Grantham out of Georgia who runs the 3-4 and he's got experience at every level of football. Georgia's 2012 defense was ranked in the top 5, although they took a step back last season due to youth and injuries. I think we're only returning 5 starters on defense but there's a lot of young talent coming back.

We did lose Bridgewater, one of the best QBs to ever play here, but his backup is more than capable of filling his shoes. Will Gardner was a highly recruited 4 star player out of Alabama and had an offer from Nick Saban among others, but tore his ACL during his junior season and a bunch of schools backed off. Petrino's offense is EXTREMELY QB friendly unlike the monstrosity of a scheme our previous OC ran. We also return 5/6 of our top WRs including Devante Parker who was projected as a first round NFL pick, along with 2/3 RBs, 4/5 OL, and our best TE.

We'll take our lumps of defense but I'm optimistic because Vance Bedford (our old DC) played a lot of backups last season and ran a ton of 3-4 and 3-3-5 to go along with our base 4-3 defense. Petrino hired Todd Grantham out of Georgia who runs the 3-4 and he's got experience at every level of football. Georgia's 2012 defense was ranked in the top 5, although they took a step back last season due to youth and injuries. I think we're only returning 5 starters on defense but there's a lot of young talent coming back.

How do the L'ville fans feel about having Petrino back? Any hard feelings?

How do the L'ville fans feel about having Petrino back? Any hard feelings?
For the most part we're ecstatic. His four years were arguably the most exciting in the history of our program. Keep in mind he left for an NFL job and not another college job, and at least had the guts to meet with the team after he decided to leave unlike Strong who took the first flight to Austin he could.

For the most part we're ecstatic. His four years were arguably the most exciting in the history of our program. Keep in mind he left for an NFL job and not another college job, and at least had the guts to meet with the team after he decided to leave unlike Strong who took the first flight to Austin he could.

Isn't it a bit of revisionist history to say he had the guts to meet with the team? Wasn't it a bit rushed and only a few players actually met with him? If I am wrong, correct me as you kkow better. That said how he left the last two jobs are the screen play for how to not handle yourself in about any profession...other than the oldest one maybe.

Also not sold on your DC...uga fans couldn't be happier he left, and he had been shopping himself to try and get back to nfl the past few years...Richt is very loyal though and worked for all him getting a gig elsewhere.

No one doubts the football coaching ability of Petrino, just a matter if he can keep his nose clean and recruit well enough to get over the hump to the top of Atlantic. Having Lvl in the league is going to be a lot more fun than Mary, that's for sure.

Atlantic is going to be fun.

cardinalfan123 said:

This post is awesome. I bet Falcons fans love it more than me.

The cards are almost as gross as the panthers. Almost .

Ville will be our rival in no time. We will both have close games against each other, and develop more hate.
The cards are almost as gross as the panthers. Almost .

Ville will be our rival in no time. We will both have close games against each other, and develop more hate.
I think id need to seek immediate help if i hated anyone more than pitt. Boston college is below us.

Trueblue25 said:
I think id need to seek immediate help if i hated anyone more than pitt. Boston college is below us.

Wow, I didn't know there was any passion whatsoever behind our series with Pitt.

Two in one thread?

Wow, I didn't know there was any passion whatsoever behind our series with Pitt.

Two in one thread?

I have an extremely strong indifference about the Pitt game.

I'm still yet to attend a game there (although it's not intentional).

Ironically, that's probably the game I've attended most in the Dome the last 5 years. I know I've been to at least 2 of them. Which is the same # of Pitt fans I saw at each game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom