ACC TV Deal @ $19 million/year | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

ACC TV Deal @ $19 million/year

For years most people didn't know any better and connected them with SU anyways.

An SU hockey team would eventually cause the Crunch to become irrelevant.

I agree though about not going that route and improving what we have working now.
I disagree in Providence they have the Providence Bruins and Providence College hockey in the top Hockey conference Hockey East and like SU, PC relies on non-alum locals for its fanbase, and nobody cares about PC hockey except students/alums the P-Bruins are where locals go for a minor league/college hockey fix. I am not saying SU couldn't have a winner, but I just don't see the programs ever breaking even.

I disagree in Providence they have the Providence Bruins and Providence College hockey in the top Hockey conference Hockey East and like SU, PC relies on non-alum locals for its fanbase, and nobody cares about PC hockey except students/alums the P-Bruins are where locals go for a minor league/college hockey fix. I am not saying SU couldn't have a winner, but I just don't see the programs ever breaking even.

Since when is Hockey East the best hockey conference? WCHA until it dies, ECAC after that.

Interesting that RU and MD might not get games on TV. If this is the B1G's plan it likely backfires. The FOX bundling is the only way they get the BTN anywhere near the $0.80 price. If the B1G threatens to not show 2 FB and 15 BBall games, will anyone care?

Since when is Hockey East the best hockey conference? WCHA until it dies, ECAC after that.
ill give you the wcha but, the ecac still plays hockey? thats cute.

give me hockey east any day of the week over both of those 2.

Oh Lord

Because the Providence Bruins are a farm system for the team right up the road. People have no idea who the Crunch are a farm team for. I worked for the Worcester Sharks, whose attendance has been atrocious because no one cares about their parent club. Syracuse fans would embrace the team and I know a lot of kids that have attended Division 1 schools that didn't like hockey that started going. Students would get really into it.

mens hockey at Syracuse U will go over like a Led Zeppelin.

better off getting a baseball team and play where the chiefs play. i think SU is the only 1 who doesnt play that.

better off getting a baseball team and play where the chiefs play. i think SU is the only 1 who doesnt play that.
i bet the attendance would be good for the 1 game they could manage to play in the syracuse "spring"

Back in the early 90s when I was in school I sat at a hoops game with a buddy of mine who grew up in CNY. I asked him why a cold weather place like SU didn't have a hockey team. He pointed at the crowd of 30K in the Dome and said "because of this".

It'd be fun to have a men's hockey team. College hockey is awesome.

But Gross should be fired on the spot if he tried to start one up.

They'd have better luck going old school Columbia and playing on the quad.

Dude's already adjusted his contract claims. He now says each Big 12 school stands to earn $31 million in 2014. Doesn't say where that $31 million comes from. Implies (i.e. lies) that its what is coming from the Big 12's Tier 1 & 2 media deal. You'll never get facts from those West Virginians. Just revenge fantasies and death wished for the ACC.

I hate those guys. I hope Ryan chucks a 100 MPH dart right up their collective rear ends.
Lets just rip WV a new one in the Pinstripe !

ill give you the wcha but, the ecac still plays hockey? thats cute.

give me hockey east any day of the week over both of those 2.

Oh Lord

you need to follow college hockey more then.

the HE has 3 programs who might be really good this year.. 3 in the top 6, but also only 3 in the top 6.. the ecac 6 in the top 20. even Maine has become a non relevant team .

but other than BC and NH no one follows hockey in the HE any more, the locals dont care about BU or Harvard in boston.

if SU could sell 3K they would turn a profit in college hockey. they need way more than that for the crunch to make money.

Play in the Dome, and only recruit left hand hitters and pitchers. It will be as short a porch as you'll find.

You would need to cover the cost of 25 men's scholarships and 25 woman's (50 total). In addition to the cost of coaches salaries and the travel. Also you need to compete for fans vs BBall and the Crunch. To cover all of that it likely would cost north of a $50 average price per ticket. Good luck breaking even.

college hockey tickets run on the avg of $15-20 at most schools. if SU only has to buy ice time the costs are actually lower than if they have thier own building.its only

18*50K about .9 mill / $20 a ticket / 20 home games = 2250 attendance. close to break even. you only have 3 coaches and hockey coaches come cheap. you could probably run the entire program for under $1.5-2 mill. Any you have a large local hockey community to draw kids from as players and as viewers.

college hockey tickets run on the avg of $15-20 at most schools. if SU only has to buy ice time the costs are actually lower than if they have thier own building.its only

18*50K about .9 mill / $20 a ticket / 20 home games = 2250 attendance. close to break even. you only have 3 coaches and hockey coaches come cheap. you could probably run the entire program for under $1.5-2 mill. Any you have a large local hockey community to draw kids from as players and as viewers.

There is a cost for using the arena. That $20 ticket won't all go into SU's pockets. Plus you have to add 1-2 more women's sports, their coaches, and travel expenses. Also will adding a hockey team cannibalize some BBall fans? Can people afford both BBall and hockey tix? Will they have the free time to attend both? Will Crunch fans give up following the team to follow SU hockey?

I would like SU to add hockey. I think it would be fun as a sports fan and I think we could be good at it, unlike in baseball. However IMO the #1 priority should be to improve facilities for FB, BBall, and our current sports. All we have heard the last few years is how SU's facilities are lacking. So why make the mistake of using money to start up new sports before fixing the old ones? Once that is taken care of I am for adding more sports.

I am in a hockey area.. most of these people are not bball fans.. hockey is played on fri-sat nights almost exclusively . you have a huge number of local kids playing hockey who do not go to bball games. Syr being a bball tradition will skew a bit higher but the hockey people are hockey people, they are used to paying 10x as much to have kids play as for other sports. you can be a fball/bball/baseball player and have almost zero out of pocket as a parent.. thats not the way of life for hockey.

yeah you pay for the arena. but its also only 18 scholies to add, 36 if we need to match. a couple million in cost. its much cheaper to rent the arena than to build and support one unless you have other uses for it. a 3-5K hockey barn is pretty cheap to build if they really want to go that route. Hockey kids are used to playing in dim, cheap, old barns. we couldn't support a b10 style 20K bldg so we dont need one.

and all this is assuming that no alumni wants a program and is willing to help.

I am in a hockey area.. most of these people are not bball fans.. hockey is played on fri-sat nights almost exclusively . you have a huge number of local kids playing hockey who do not go to bball games. Syr being a bball tradition will skew a bit higher but the hockey people are hockey people, they are used to paying 10x as much to have kids play as for other sports. you can be a fball/bball/baseball player and have almost zero out of pocket as a parent.. thats not the way of life for hockey.

yeah you pay for the arena. but its also only 18 scholies to add, 36 if we need to match. a couple million in cost. its much cheaper to rent the arena than to build and support one unless you have other uses for it. a 3-5K hockey barn is pretty cheap to build if they really want to go that route. Hockey kids are used to playing in dim, cheap, old barns. we couldn't support a b10 style 20K bldg so we dont need one.

and all this is assuming that no alumni wants a program and is willing to help.
We already have a barn on South but it would have to be completely renovated to sustain a D-1 program. The War Memorial would be the only option...

(but imagine how cool Manley would be as a hockey rink if we built a separate indoor football facility?)

For years most people didn't know any better and connected them with SU anyways.

An SU hockey team would eventually cause the Crunch to become irrelevant.

I agree though about not going that route and improving what we have working now.
I can drink beer and see players fight at Crunch games. Will any of that be available at SU mens hockey games??

why not? fighting and drinking are allowed in college hockey. just depends on the league

We already have a barn on South but it would have to be completely renovated to sustain a D-1 program. The War Memorial would be the only option...

(but imagine how cool Manley would be as a hockey rink if we built a separate indoor football facility?)
They could have games at the Fairgrounds too - I don't imagine the Crunch would be all that happy with sharing the ice.

Manley would be a great hockey barn though.

why not? fighting and drinking are allowed in college hockey. just depends on the league
No, fighting's definitely not allowed in any level except the pros. Even international hockey has no fighting.

The move to the ACC is going to be a game-changer for SU's athletic programs. Exciting to read about all of this. Kudos to Arb with his insights.

I really think that Gross is going to have alot of financial momentum to take our football program to the next level. At least that's what I'm hoping.

have you not been to a college game? its just different because the penalty is different. its not minutes its a game. in fact it wasnt that long ago it was ok outside the ecac and hockey east.