Adam Weitsman announces NIL plans | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

Adam Weitsman announces NIL plans

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just spoke to Adam Weitsman. I’ve chatted with him via social media and he asked me to call him so that he could clarify a few things.
1. Parking spots: he pays for 7 parking spaces (1 for himself, 2 for employees and 4 for first responders and he pays for their tickets as well).
2. Security: he doesn’t bring security for his guests, but the university provides security for these guests at their discretion and the university charges him for this service immediately after the games. He, in turn, immediately pays for their services.
Not sure if serious, so what about the rest of the story?

Not sure if serious, so what about the rest of the story?
I know I joke around a lot, but this is 100% serious. With regard to Shlerik, Adam is part of a country wide mentorship program for people being released from prison to help get reaclimated back into society. He didn’t seek out Shlerik, he was asked to speak with him and mentor him.

I know I joke around a lot, but this is 100% serious. With regard to Shlerik, Adam is part of a country wide mentorship program for people being released from prison to help get reaclimated back into society. He didn’t seek out Shlerik, he was asked to speak with him and mentor him.
I’m totally okay with the Shlerik thing. The guy went to jail himself. I’m sure he feels the need to help individuals out. That makes a ton of sense to me.

I just meant the part of if there is actually beef between him and the university currently and if he is still part of helping student athletes and the school with NIL.

I was kind of joking though. But if you do know hahaha

I’m totally okay with the Shlerik thing. The guy went to jail himself. I’m sure he feels the need to help individuals out. That makes a ton of sense to me.

I just meant the part of if there is actually beef between him and the university currently and if he is still part of helping student athletes and the school with NIL.

I was kind of joking though. But if you do know hahaha
I can’t speak to his relationship with the university or whether he will continue to help with NIL. I just believe, after speaking with him, that his intentions are to help the athletic programs and not hurt the university in any way.

My dad and I had a parking lot pass one year. We had James Thues running point.

I would’ve sacrificed that space and walked a few blocks for a stud PG in a heart beat.

Priorities, you sensitive people! If you’re not contributing to getting a SQUAD, then plug it up.

Also, screw that Martin goofball. Bring him to the Dome so I can punch him in the face.
He could raffle off throwing pies in that dude's face to raise $ for an NIL collective.

Pretty confident in saying there is no truth to this whatsoever. But stranger things have happened.

And curious why some think the Chancellor is so anti-athletics? Department is still suffering the financial repercussions of the covid year and Kent championed the release of additional budget to upgrade the football staff. He was in the Audi Suite cheering during the Pinstripe Bowl and is at virtually every game including several roadies. Maybe I'm missing something?
So I have to publicly backtrack here. There is obviously something to this. I can definitively say that Adam’s support is highly valued by the Cuse Athletics Fund. He is greeted warmly by high level members of that group at every game including the finale against Wake in the Dome. However there are apparently other constituencies within the SU community that don’t appreciate his methods, particularly the public NIL offers to HS players. There were also some crowd control issues late in the game he brought Elijah Moore and the two rappers to. Don’t think it’s to the acrimonious divorce level but the relationship is certainly strained. Hopefully now that JB has some free time things can be patched up a bit.

My bigger concern is if there is serious dysfunction between the University at large and its chief athletics fundraising arm.

So I have to publicly backtrack here. There is obviously something to this. I can definitively say that Adam’s support is highly valued by the Cuse Athletics Fund. He is greeted warmly by high level members of that group at every game including the finale against Wake in the Dome. However there are apparently other constituencies within the SU community that don’t appreciate his methods, particularly the public NIL offers to HS players. There were also some crowd control issues late in the game he brought Elijah Moore and the two rappers to. Don’t think it’s to the acrimonious divorce level but the relationship is certainly strained. Hopefully now that JB has some free time things can be patched up a bit.

My bigger concern is if there is serious dysfunction between the University at large and its chief athletics fundraising arm.

Yikes- I hope like hell JBs new role can put him in the middle of it. That's for sure one area where pull and his personality i would think can do a lot of good.

Also as for those constituencies, not sure how to say this without it going off topic board but - hope this isn't an issue of being a stick in the mud over values that overlap with politics. As that is an issue, while not sports related/specific, that is prevalent in corporate and other sectors right now and is both very frustrating and often at an impasse... again trying to say that as generally as possible.

Last edited:

The mixed messaging makes sense. I’ve heard there’s a lot of frustration overall with the athletic department right now due to events that have occurred over the last month. I think Wildhack has a lot of cleaning up to do. JB probably could help him quite a bit here.

How is the athletics development office and University development structured? Are they two separate entities? At some schools, athletics development directly reports to the University side, with a dotted line to athletics.

How is the athletics development office and University development structured? Are they two separate entities? At some schools, athletics development directly reports to the University side, with a dotted line to athletics.
Michael Paulus is the Senior Associate Athletics Director and Executive Director of the Cuse Athletics Fund. He reports directly into John Wildhack who reports up to the Chancellor

Always been a fan and supporter of athletics, never been a big fan of the school itself. I know that’ll get me flack but sorry.

If his NIL is within compliance, go get your money elsewhere for academic/unnecessary infrastructure and maybe spend more responsibly with what you do have. Greed.

Always been a fan and supporter of athletics, never been a big fan of the school itself. I know that’ll get me flack but sorry.

If his NIL is within compliance, go get your money elsewhere for academic/unnecessary infrastructure and maybe spend more responsibly with what you do have. Greed.

Kinda how I felt about UB until those dirty covid spreaders ruined it :)

Not ready to make the leap that Adam decided to put all his eggs in the NIL basket and stopped contributing to CAF. I think the tension is over disagreement in his approach and public flaunting of the mega offers. But as you know, Ihave been wrong before.

Not ready to make the leap that Adam decided to put all his eggs in the NIL basket and stopped contributing to CAF. I think the tension is over disagreement in his approach and public flaunting of the mega offers. But as you know, Ihave been wrong before.
Nah I trust your takes are always made with real knowledge and/or in best faith. So I think its fair not to jump to conclusions here based on whats known

Yikes- I hope like hell JBs new role can put him in the middle of it. That's for sure one area where pull and his personality i would think can do a lot of good.

Also as for those constituencies, not sure how to say this without it going off topic board but - hope this isn't an issue of being a stick in the mud over values that overlap with politics. As that is an issue, while not sports related/specific, that is prevalent in corporate and other sectors right now and is both very frustrating and often at an impasse... again trying to say that as generally as possible.

The guy just flies too close to the sun...change the flight pattern...

I think the public stuff makes the most sense. I also think he is aiming to help use his follower size with said announcements to help make sure that recruits are aware maybe even before CNY has crossed their minds sooner in their process.

That of course I can see is a little concerning especially when he has clear connections to athletics and also then is working with former felons etc etc. Throw in the Cavinder girl ordeal at Miami too.

Right... SU would have to foot the bill to defend it (if it got that far), and that's bad math.

Yeah.. it's just ugly out there today... with NIL - there will be the smaller to medium groups with grassroots and fan funding like we have. Anything in Adam's tier - you are dealing with baggage no matter what.

When all this NIL stuff came out that tended to be my biggest concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.