Adam Weitsman announces NIL plans | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

Adam Weitsman announces NIL plans

Status
Not open for further replies.
NIL is a slippery slope as seen in the Miami Women’s program. It seems it’s a necessary aspect of todays recruiting. As with many things, what begins as a good idea, greed, ego and other elements creep into the equation. My hope is that the university can work things out with Adam and add additional sources of revenue to make us competitive in the ACC!

Michael Paulus is the Senior Associate Athletics Director and Executive Director of the Cuse Athletics Fund. He reports directly into John Wildhack who reports up to the Chancellor
I am sure the University sees the numbers that athletics brings in and is slightly jealous. They have quotas too. But for there to be friction because an athletics donor doesn’t do enough for the University’s endowment fund or scholarship fund, to me, is penny wise and pound foolish. At the end of the day, it’s all one big pot of money. If Athletics does well from a giving standpoint a given year, it helps the University overall. Very selfish from the Univ standpoint, IMO.

I graduated in 2008, btw. When were you there?

Graduated 2016. Product of south campus

I was a south campus kid for my year and a half there.

2008-2012. Started Macdonald hall (RIP to the quad), montrose ave, windspear ave, Minnesota, and finally went back to the north on Kaymar drive. It was a fun ride. But never got into the sports that much due to my love for syraxuse. Did make ESPN once or twice when I did attend though. Fewer Syracuse fans than I expected when I first came out here. A ton of Duke fans (they claim CL reasons) but I have a hard time believing that. They were maybe 5 when that happened.

2008-2012. Started Macdonald hall (RIP to the quad), montrose ave, windspear ave, Minnesota, and finally went back to the north on Kaymar drive. It was a fun ride. But never got into the sports that much due to my love for syraxuse. Did make ESPN once or twice when I did attend though. Fewer Syracuse fans than I expected when I first came out here. A ton of Duke fans (they claim CL reasons) but I have a hard time believing that. They were maybe 5 when that happened.
Buffalo has next to no Cuse fans. Ive always been Cuse sports first.

Winspear and Northrup here

Buffalo has next to no Cuse fans. Ive always been Cuse sports first.

Winspear and Northrup here
That’s why Buffalo needs to burn. The city. The bills. All of it.

The guy just flies too close to the sun...change the flight pattern...

Exactly, Bayside.

Look, every school that is involved in major athletics has their sugar daddies. Always have, always will. SU has always had theirs and most (not all) of the time they have flown under the radar publicly. The sugar daddies at most (but not all) schools are that way. AW is EXTREMELY public about what he is doing.

Regardless of whether or not he is crossing any lines, and I assume he is not, I could see the NCAA...which is basically toothless but has to pretend to look busy...saying "oh look! Here is some low-hanging fruit in central NY that we should sniff around." Even if there is nothing to find, you don't want any sniffing. Also, I could see where he might ruffle some feathers in general within the Administration. It's one thing to do the donating and NIL privately, it's another thing to metaphorically have Snoop Dog drive a scrap metal truck onto the court during tip-off. Which, I think, we would all pay to see but that's not the point.

As for people ripping the Chancellor and telling him to get out of the way, #1-we have thrown a lot of $$$ into athletic infrastructure, especially for a private school. #2-Ephh You. This is an academic institution we are talking about, not a pro sports organization with some academics tacked onto it. I realize that for some fans, they don't view it that way. Well, I do and like many alums, I don't want the over-escalating emphasis on sports entertainment to over-shadow the mission of my alma mater. It is the Chancellor's job to make sure that doesn't happen. Or to at least try and keep a modicum of control over it. I wish him luck on that because when we long ago sold our souls to go down the path of bigtime sports, it ensured his life would not be an easy one.

Exactly, Bayside.

Look, every school that is involved in major athletics has their sugar daddies. Always have, always will. SU has always had theirs and most (not all) of the time they have flown under the radar publicly. The sugar daddies at most (but not all) schools are that way. AW is EXTREMELY public about what he is doing.

Regardless of whether or not he is crossing any lines, and I assume he is not, I could see the NCAA...which is basically toothless but has to pretend to look busy...saying "oh look! Here is some low-hanging fruit in central NY that we should sniff around." Even if there is nothing to find, you don't want any sniffing. Also, I could see where he might ruffle some feathers in general within the Administration. It's one thing to do the donating and NIL privately, it's another thing to metaphorically have Snoop Dog drive a scrap metal truck onto the court during tip-off. Which, I think, we would all pay to see but that's not the point.

As for people ripping the Chancellor and telling him to get out of the way, #1-we have thrown a lot of $$$ into athletic infrastructure, especially for a private school. #2-Ephh You. This is an academic institution we are talking about, not a pro sports organization with some academics tacked onto it. I realize that for some fans, they don't view it that way. Well, I do and like many alums, I don't want the over-escalating emphasis on sports entertainment to over-shadow the mission of my alma mater. It is the Chancellor's job to make sure that doesn't happen. Or to at least try and keep a modicum of control over it. I wish him luck on that because when we long ago sold our souls to go down the path of bigtime sports, it ensured his life would not be an easy one.

As usual, you said it better than me.

For those that love to harp on JB and the 1993 probation, we had pillars of the community sullied by a couple of "I journalists" looking to make a name for themselves because guys got a few free bowls or spaghetti and favorable car leases. And this sure isn't that...

That’s why Buffalo needs to burn. The city. The bills. All of it.
In ‘03, I was a sales rep covering the Buffalo area and everyone was on the SU bandwagon.

Exactly, Bayside.

“ have Snoop Dog drive a scrap metal truck onto the court during tip-off.”

I literally just spit out my coffee reading that quote. Well done. Hopefully the truck would have hydraulics for the full Snoop effect!

The guy just flies too close to the sun...change the flight pattern...
And the sun got a lot closer and a lot brighter when the new NIL bylaws went into effect 1/1/23. NCAA’s enforcement staff will presume a violation occurred when it receives information on any activity that is deemed actionable. Apparently, this includes tips, social media, or "common sense." The burden of proof will then fall on the university to prove that no violation occurred. So, unlike the constitution, the school is presumed guilty until proven otherwise.

Just guessing here, but I wonder if the school feared that AW's highly public NIL activity could potentially make them an easy target.

I was 7th as well. Funny story. My cousin is 4-5 years younger than me, ended up living in the other room that shared the bathroom with my room.
Had a view of Niagara Falls from my window. Those dorms were glorious

“ have Snoop Dog drive a scrap metal truck onto the court during tip-off.”

I literally just spit out my coffee reading that quote. Well done. Hopefully the truck would have hydraulics for the full Snoop effect!
Nice touch with the hydraulics!

Also, this is as good a time as any, plus I am trying to kill time before the Womens' LAX game starts, to mention something. Mr. Weitsman is never referred to as "Businessman Adam Weitsman", which he is and also it sounds classier. He is always referred to as "Scrap Metal King Adam Weitsman", which he also is and of course there is nothing wrong with that per se.

Still, I sort of cringe when I am watching a national telecast of an SU game and the announcer says "while we are awaiting tipoff between Syracuse and Duke, I see that Orange booster and Scrap Metal King Adam Weitsman has brought as his guest Big Dottie Hinson of the Rockford Peaches. As per usual with Adam's guests, Big Dottie is already totally engrossed in looking at her cellphone."

Nice touch with the hydraulics!

Also, this is as good a time as any, plus I am trying to kill time before the Womens' LAX game starts, to mention something. Mr. Weitsman is never referred to as "Businessman Adam Weitsman", which he is and also it sounds classier. He is always referred to as "Scrap Metal King Adam Weitsman", which he also is and of course there is nothing wrong with that per se.

Still, I sort of cringe when I am watching a national telecast of an SU game and the announcer says "while we are awaiting tipoff between Syracuse and Duke, I see that Orange booster and Scrap Metal King Adam Weitsman has brought as his guest Big Dottie Hinson of the Rockford Peaches. As per usual with Adam's guests, Big Dottie is already totally engrossed in looking at her cellphone."
I'm not sure where you're going with this post. Are you disapproving of his line of work? How the media refers to him? Or how too many people these days are entrenched in their cellphones?

Status
Not open for further replies.