Adam Weitsman announces NIL plans | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

Adam Weitsman announces NIL plans

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure where you're going with this post. Are you disapproving of his line of work? How the media refers to him? Or how too many people these days are entrenched in their cellphones?
I am most certainly not disapproving of his line of work. Probably more how the media refers to him. As for the cellphone, it seems as though many of his guests are engrossed in their cellphone and not the game when the camera is on them. Just an observation.

I am most certainly not disapproving of his line of work. Probably more how the media refers to him. As for the cellphone, it seems as though many of his guests are engrossed in their cellphone and not the game when the camera is on them. Just an observation.
The cellphone observation is spot-on, but it's endemic of society - as I write this on my cellphone.

You just described most of the meetings in corporate America and any conference or event.

You just described most of the meetings in corporate America and any conference or event.
Oh that’s true. He is also a guest of somebody. I would sort of view that as being disrespectful of my host.

Agree. I don’t see any other big donors donating to these collectives, hence why he started his own and is paying lawyers to stay within the rules. He is directly helping the university with his NIL efforts.
Not to mention the publicity of his announcements. How many people have contributed a little more than they otherwise would because they were inspired by AW?

I've been wondering what happens when or if a Micron (or related) exec comes around and puts on an Orange cap. Could get interesting (in reference to NIL and everything that comes with it).

So I have to publicly backtrack here. There is obviously something to this. I can definitively say that Adam’s support is highly valued by the Cuse Athletics Fund. He is greeted warmly by high level members of that group at every game including the finale against Wake in the Dome. However there are apparently other constituencies within the SU community that don’t appreciate his methods, particularly the public NIL offers to HS players. There were also some crowd control issues late in the game he brought Elijah Moore and the two rappers to. Don’t think it’s to the acrimonious divorce level but the relationship is certainly strained. Hopefully now that JB has some free time things can be patched up a bit.

My bigger concern is if there is serious dysfunction between the University at large and its chief athletics fundraising arm.
Lets just say that my experience is that fund raising is all over the place on the Hill

Glorified warzone but wouldnt have it any other way in University Heights
Those lights down Bailey passing south campus and the VA are the worst in all of NY, nothing will ever change my mind.

Those lights down Bailey passing south campus and the VA are the worst in all of NY, nothing will ever change my mind.
No arguments here. Buffalo traffic is just moronic

Lets just say that my experience is that fund raising is all over the place on the Hill
Yup. It’s also super territorial. And there’s frequent infighting. It’s to everyone’s detriment. But not surprising. Sure it happens elsewhere.

If our administrators are more concerned with image and getting into a pissing contest with someone for the way in which they choose to make significant financial and social investments into the university they’re administrating - perhaps they’re not adequately fulfilling the responsibilities of their office.

Nancy Cantor destroying what could have very been a national title season for - *an ESL student getting too much academic help* - was pure negligence of her office
and she should have been fired that day. These people need to stop letting their egos get in the way of helping the university.

They’re upset about crowd control around the attention celebrities get when they come to the Dome? How is it Adam’s fault that they neglected to provide an adequate security solution when they were aware that this would be happening?

Rather than think harder to find a solution that meets the interests of all parties - they’re really going to think that banning people is the best option?

I have no personal issues with anyone, and wish noting but the best for everyone (except Doug Gottleib) but this is frustrating.

Last edited:
Ahh a tale as old as time: central fundraising and athletics fundraising not getting along. Doesn't matter if you're talking Ohio State or Hobart, there will always be friction there in regards to who gets access to donors and for what purpose.

If Adam loved the program as much as he does he’d find another way to figure this out but it is what it is at this point
Completely agree. There are other collectives he could work through, he would just not be the face of the group. If he wants to shine a light on Syracuse and athletics than he could still contribute just not be in the spot light.

Completely agree. There are other collectives he could work through, he would just not be the face of the group. If he wants to shine a light on Syracuse and athletics than he could still contribute just not be in the spot light.
Sounds like a lot of idealistic folks in Syracuse would gladly take AW’s money but just don’t want AW along with it. NIL isn’t charitable donations, but it seems like most think it should be.

Sounds like a lot of idealistic folks in Syracuse would gladly take AW’s money but just don’t want AW along with it. NIL isn’t charitable donations, but it seems like most think it should be.

What I don't get...

OK, we want to transition AW out because Chancellor doesn't like AW's PR MO...

I get it.

But if you are going to part ways with him, you'd better have a solution to replace his impact before you cut the cord.

Since we just lost our marquee center to the portal over a nil bag we can't match, it's looking like we simply cut the cord and are now facing inadequate NIL resources.

Hope I am wrong about that, but we'll see over the next few months.

What I don't get...

OK, we want to transition AW out because Chancellor doesn't like AW's PR MO...

I get it.

But if you are going to part ways with him, you'd better have a solution to replace his impact before you cut the cord.

Since we just lost our marquee center to the portal over a nil bag we can't match, it's looking like we simply cut the cord and are now facing inadequate NIL resources.

Hope I am wrong about that, but we'll see over the next few months.
Status quo for Syracuse sports strategy.

If Adam loved the program as much as he does he’d find another way to figure this out but it is what it is at this point
if the chancellor won't take your calls, won't respond to email all asking for a face to face to address it all, what ya gonna do? And oh yeah won't allow a bid for the dome naming rights, all cuz the guy doesn't fit the institutional profile they want to put forth like the wanna be ivy league school that they want to be but aren't.

Unless there's something is in his backround that we're unaware of, and if so I want to know in order to pull back, if not, this is simply Paathetic...and bad business.

Last edited:
if the chancellor won't take your calls, won't respond to emails all asking for a face to face to address it all, what ya gonna do? And oh yeah won't allow a bid for the dome naming rights, all cuz the guy doesn't fit the institutional profile they want to put forth like the wanna be ivy league school that they want to be but aren't. Paathetic.
This whole thing is like a real life version of Rodney Dangerfield’s “Back to School” with with AW playing the part of Thornton Mellon and Syverud playing the part of Philip, the elitist professor who desperately wants to expel Mellon.

if the chancellor won't take your calls, won't respond to emails all asking for a face to face to address it all, what ya gonna do? And oh yeah won't allow a bid for the dome naming rights, all cuz the guy doesn't fit the institutional profile they want to put forth like the wanna be ivy league school that they want to be but aren't. Paathetic.
That is absolutely pathetic and shameful if true. The university certainly doesn’t make it easy to be a fan. I question why I bother more often than I don’t lately

Status
Not open for further replies.