Adam Weitsman announces NIL plans | Page 38 | Syracusefan.com

Adam Weitsman announces NIL plans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Uh no, Binghamton is ACTIVELY courting Adam….

But Adam has loyalty at this point with Syracuse and JB
The same school that hamstrung Tommy Dempsey and who he could bring in? I think Harvey Stenger is publicly open to anything, but will also be very judicious and smart about how and if they interact with Adam. Not impossible, but based on my relationships with people at BU, I don't know that they're willing to sell their souls for a repeat of the scandal years.

We probably both know some players in this saga, we should compare notes over a frosty hops based beverage...

The same school that hamstrung Tommy Dempsey and who he could bring in? I think Harvey Stenger is publicly open to anything, but will also be very judicious and smart about how and if they interact with Adam. Not impossible, but based on my relationships with people at BU, I don't know that they're willing to sell their souls for a repeat of the scandal years.

We probably both know some players in this saga, we should compare notes over a frosty hops based beverage...

Yeah, an interesting turn of events that’s for sure

Dempsey was handcuffed for sure…

I wonder if Binghamton said we aren't interested. I don't trust his tweets and their timing.
Doubt that is the case and I would expect Adam to support BU - it is the last remaining major asset in the Southern Tier (other than the North Brewery of course.)

Just won't be the same level as he was trying to do at Syracuse. I can't see Patrick Mahomes flying in to BGM to attend a Tuesday night game against UMass-Lowell in front of 4500 fans and a ESPN+++ tape delay audience.

The North is on my list of places I haven't been to but should have a long time ago. I'd like to see Adam support BU and more importantly BCC. Never mind a basketball academy, we have 2 teams in town that need help. And some other priorities.

I don't think Harvey would want that kind of notoriety, but I've seen a pic of a Bearcat on a plane tail...

Now, if he could get TexanMark to host a tailgate at BU with Cuseregular on the grill, and Consigliere handling the PR and EMCEE duties, then the Big East would probably come calling and Mr. Tony could broadcast the game...

I just don’t care about Adam Weitsman.

I think his influence was way overblown. What recruits did he help bring in? How much was he paying? What benefit to the program did it bring to have Stefon Diggs playing on his phone as we were losing by 15-20?
I think that with Red and staff putting in the required legwork, Adam’s money coupled with other NIL sources would put us in the upper echelon of NIL initiatives. Of course, Adam’s money comes Adam’s way. I hope some compromise is reached that allows Adam to do things enough his way that will allow him to contribute to our NIL.

Nope

I think what it may reveal about the environment we find ourselves in is the important thing. Can we compete without "sugar daddies" and six figure NIL deals or is SU being naive here?

I think what it may reveal about the environment we find ourselves in is the important thing. Can we compete without "sugar daddies" and six figure NIL deals or is SU being naive here?
Naive. Short sighted, lack of vision, stupid, etc., pick your verbiage. This if it’s true what I wrote re Weitsman and they’ve unceremoniously kicked a guy like that to the curb.

With the the obstacles to success, challenges to overcome etc. up here I can’t imagine anything more naive etc then if we lose this kind of support. Yeah and some here minimize it all. Oy ve

Edit: but the caveat again is if the University knows something that we don’t about the guy in his business dealings, given his past, I get the hesitation, but my gut is people come to this conclusion for non-valid biased reasons. We’ll see sooner or later I would imagine.

Last edited:
Edit: but the caveat again is if the University knows something that we don’t about the guy in his business dealings, given his past, I get the hesitation, but my gut is people come to this conclusion for non-valid biased reasons. We’ll see sooner or later I would imagine.
Mike, I think there are a few camps: those who like Adam, those who don't like Adam, and those who are agnostic about him but have been a little "worried", for want of a better term. I fall into the last camp.

Consiglieri had a nice post about spirit and letter, yesterday I think. Coming from a company where that was a big deal, it is thus a big deal to me. I always saw some potential issues with that as it pertained to Adam.

I am happy for his financial support, don't get me wrong. The only...ONLY...thing that ever worried me was how in your face he was about his support. And the ONLY reason that worried me was the NCAA. The NCAA is impotent, can we all agree upon that? And being impotent, it is important to them to "look busy." What better way to look busy than say "hey, this guy in CNY is sending up a bat signal, let's check it out."

Even if he is 100% legit, the last thing you want to hear on ESPN is "The NCAA is investigation twice-punished Syracuse basketball." Whether we are clean or not, nobody will remember the outcome. Also, you never know what they might find when they are sniffing around, so that is another reason to not give them the ammo to start.

I'm assuming that the Chancellor has not taken this step lightly, nor in isolation. I am guessing that he had tons of input from other power brokers within the SU family. Just because he has shown the good sense to not get into a public mud-slinging battle about it doesn't mean that it was an impulsive decision.

You and I are both rabid fans, Mike, although my emotional connection to SU sports is becoming "not what it once was". We are stuck witnessing something beyond our control hitting us at the speed of light. I always go back to my Grand-Neice. She competed in a very minor sport at SU. The women got shockingly little $$$, had to pay for a number of things out of their own pockets, but were uniformly outstanding students and loved their sport. There is a purity in that that has always been lacking in the big money sports and now is exploding like a comet hitting the dinosaurs.

Mike, I think there are a few camps: those who like Adam, those who don't like Adam, and those who are agnostic about him but have been a little "worried", for want of a better term. I fall into the last camp.

Consiglieri had a nice post about spirit and letter, yesterday I think. Coming from a company where that was a big deal, it is thus a big deal to me. I always saw some potential issues with that as it pertained to Adam.

I am happy for his financial support, don't get me wrong. The only...ONLY...thing that ever worried me was how in your face he was about his support. And the ONLY reason that worried me was the NCAA. The NCAA is impotent, can we all agree upon that? And being impotent, it is important to them to "look busy." What better way to look busy than say "hey, this guy in CNY is sending up a bat signal, let's check it out."

Even if he is 100% legit, the last thing you want to hear on ESPN is "The NCAA is investigation twice-punished Syracuse basketball." Whether we are clean or not, nobody will remember the outcome. Also, you never know what they might find when they are sniffing around, so that is another reason to not give them the ammo to start.

I'm assuming that the Chancellor has not taken this step lightly, nor in isolation. I am guessing that he had tons of input from other power brokers within the SU family. Just because he has shown the good sense to not get into a public mud-slinging battle about it doesn't mean that it was an impulsive decision.

You and I are both rabid fans, Mike, although my emotional connection to SU sports is becoming "not what it once was". We are stuck witnessing something beyond our control hitting us at the speed of light. I always go back to my Grand-Neice. She competed in a very minor sport at SU. The women got shockingly little $$$, had to pay for a number of things out of their own pockets, but were uniformly outstanding students and loved their sport. There is a purity in that that has always been lacking in the big money sports and now is exploding like a comet hitting the dinosaurs.
Yep great post Dick. Get it, it’s their right to do as they see best for them.

Knowing what I know without question on this to be accurate and correct, I steadfastly continue to believe it’s wrong, it’s sad, it’s self defeating and simply bad business that will, one way or another, adversely effect the sports programs by not doing what it takes to maximize one’s chance at being competitive.

All I can do as a fan is to stop supporting and not renew anything until there’s new leadership that “gets it”, and that’s what I’ve done. Thx for your thoughtful note bud.

Knowing what I know without question on this to be accurate and correct, I steadfastly continue to believe it’s wrong, it’s sad, it’s self defeating and simply bad business that will, one way or another, adversely effect the sports programs by not doing what it takes to maximize one’s chance at being competitive.

All I can do as a fan is to stop supporting and not renew anything until there’s new leadership that “gets it”, and that’s what I’ve done. Thx for your thoughtful note bud.
You likely have far greater intel on this than I do, Mike. I just look at how much has been done for athletics on Kent's watch and am inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt. That's just me.

Besides, I am aware that he has much bigger fish to fry right now. This year is my 50th SU Reunion and apparently it has come to his attention that I might "accidently" streak across the field during the Homecoming game. Maybe I will and maybe I won't, know what I'm saying? Anyway, between the terrible PR that would result in plus the subsequent incarceration, he is trying to form a collective to pay me not to do it. Like Jesse, I am making no promises but I'm willing to listen to how much $$$ they are talking about.

My SU support button is stuck in the "on" position and I've never bothered to have it fixed.

You likely have far greater intel on this than I do, Mike. I just look at how much has been done for athletics on Kent's watch and am inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt. That's just me.

Besides, I am aware that he has much bigger fish to fry right now. This year is my 50th SU Reunion and apparently it has come to his attention that I might "accidently" streak across the field during the Homecoming game. Maybe I will and maybe I won't, know what I'm saying? Anyway, between the terrible PR that would result in plus the subsequent incarceration, he is trying to form a collective to pay me not to do it. Like Jesse, I am making no promises but I'm willing to listen to how much $$$ they are talking about.

When DPS tackles you on the Dome turf, protect your ACLs.

Doubt that is the case and I would expect Adam to support BU - it is the last remaining major asset in the Southern Tier (other than the North Brewery of course.)

Just won't be the same level as he was trying to do at Syracuse. I can't see Patrick Mahomes flying in to BGM to attend a Tuesday night game against UMass-Lowell in front of 4500 fans and a ESPN+++ tape delay audience.
And that is exactly why I felt he was getting more out of the relationship than Syracuse was. My hunch was only confirmed by what JB said off the cuff. But hey, I could be wrong. Maybe Dean Wormer really just does want to get rid of the jocks.

You streak and I’ll donate 4,400 to the NIL collection. I’m sure many others will match.

Status
Not open for further replies.