Admin.-anyone -Computer problem-related to this site-pretty sure. | Syracusefan.com

Admin.-anyone -Computer problem-related to this site-pretty sure.

TheOkieOrangeman

2nd String
I'm FAR from a computer expert and don't know the term, but I try to explain. I also wonder if anyone else has had this problem?
As an SU grad living in Oklahoma-I love the last 3 sites.

About a month ago, I got on the site to read up on news and fun opinions. I clicked on a thread to read it and AVG firewall alerts me of a possible malicious virus-which it put in it's "vault" and later remove. But the damage was done. When I tried to Google something, the Google list did come up as usual, but when I clicked a link it redirected my computer to an ad. Each new time I tried it it redirected me to different ad locations. I took the computer in and the fixed it to work correctly and a cost of $125.

Last Friday I got on the site again and the same problem happened again. The problem had nothing to do with the poster and I think I was logged in (but not sure).

Has anyone else had this redirection problem??? Does anyone know the solution? It's not a poster problem from what I can tell. I guess it's some form of virus-embedded in the internet site. It does not harm any files or programs that I am aware of. But it does redirect all Google searches to an ad it. I must type the address shown in the Google search physical in and I can get where I want to.

At $125 a pop I can't this up-but I hate to give up this site.

The computer people told me that there are people or groups that sign up advertisers and get paid based on the # of ads that are clicked on. They hack site to put and bug in your computer to redirect certain activities and they get paid just for the hit (redirection) to their ad.

Help Help

I'm FAR from a computer expert and don't know the term, but I try to explain. I also wonder if anyone else has had this problem?
As an SU grad living in Oklahoma-I love the last 3 sites.

About a month ago, I got on the site to read up on news and fun opinions. I clicked on a thread to read it and AVG firewall alerts me of a possible malicious virus-which it put in it's "vault" and later remove. But the damage was done. When I tried to Google something, the Google list did come up as usual, but when I clicked a link it redirected my computer to an ad. Each new time I tried it it redirected me to different ad locations. I took the computer in and the fixed it to work correctly and a cost of $125.

Last Friday I got on the site again and the same problem happened again. The problem had nothing to do with the poster and I think I was logged in (but not sure).

Has anyone else had this redirection problem??? Does anyone know the solution? It's not a poster problem from what I can tell. I guess it's some form of virus-embedded in the internet site. It does not harm any files or programs that I am aware of. But it does redirect all Google searches to an ad it. I must type the address shown in the Google search physical in and I can get where I want to.

At $125 a pop I can't this up-but I hate to give up this site.

The computer people told me that there are people or groups that sign up advertisers and get paid based on the # of ads that are clicked on. They hack site to put and bug in your computer to redirect certain activities and they get paid just for the hit (redirection) to their ad.

Help Help

I believe that happened on my desktop which I no longer use. Frequently on this site I get a message from Norton anti-virus that it blocked a "malicious attempt" or something of that sort.

I believe that happened on my desktop which I no longer use. Frequently on this site I get a message from Norton anti-virus that it blocked a "malicious attempt" or something of that sort.

I get same kind of message from McAfee. None of this happened before we went to this new site. Now, it's a crap-shoot whenever I get on here. :(

I get same kind of message from McAfee. None of this happened before we went to this new site. Now, it's a crap-shoot whenever I get on here. :(
Thanks for letting me know-not that it makes me feel better. I hope admin can do something about this or I won't be able to get SU talk. I use my desktop for business and can't take the chance.

More importantly Cusey does McAfee cure the problem?? Thanks.

>90% of the problems you get like this come from embedded ads. Use Firefox browser, and the NoScript add-on. It blocks javascript except for sites/domains you allow, and almost all these troublesome ads come from javascript hosted on a third-party domain different than the domain of the page you are visiting. NoScript will block the ads from appearing entirely. Since I started using it, I have never had a site hijack me that way.

Thanks for letting me know-not that it makes me feel better. I hope admin can do something about this or I won't be able to get SU talk. I use my desktop for business and can't take the chance.

No. It's on-going.

No. It's on-going.
Check out Spybot S&D, a very well-known and free malware remover. It is very good. Install it, update all definitions, reboot into safe mode, and run it from there. Should take care of most nasties.

No. It's on-going.
mine also-no help.

javadoc-I WILl try that Tues. Like I said I'm a computer novice-I've heard of the safe mode but how do you get into it? Thanks in advance.

javadoc-I WILl try that Tues. Like I said I'm a computer novice-I've heard of the safe mode but how do you get into it? Thanks in advance.
There is an option when booting into Windows to interrupt the normal boot sequence and choose from some extra options. I think you hit F8 (can't recall offhand) - there is a message that says "Press <F8> for extra options" or something like that. That gives you a menu of boot options, where you can pick safe mode, safe mode with networking, etc.

Google it for your OS and there will be a better explanation with precise details and probably screen caps.

Safe mode is crucial for getting rid of some of the worst beasties. They have ways of hiding in the system and renaming themselves when you try to remove them, or planting seeds that only sprout the next time you boot. Safe mode helps avoid those crummy features in these abominations.

One last question Javadoc-do you download the program before you go to the safe mode or after? I assume you need to restart either way.

Javadoc-thanks for the advise-unfortunate it didn't work-but thanks anyway.

Since I've now got it on my system. I'm hoping for new advice. Until it's resolved. I'll try to live with the problem. Maybe admin can help. If not-and I don't expect them to be computer experts I guess I unfortunately will have to say goodbye to syracusefan.com.

I have many joys in life. As a grad this has been one and I hate to lose it. I use my computer to help me make a living and I can't risk this destruction of my search ability. At least I know that I am not the only one experiencing this problem.

If anyone can figure out how to prevent this for everyone please send me an e-mail at jbsilman@cox .net. .

I agree with Javadoc. The best browser setup to avoid these kinds of problems is to use Firefox and install the No Script add on. Firefox can be downloaded for free, just Google Firefox download and follow the links. Once you have Firefox installed and running, go to Google from Firefox and search for No Script download and follow the links. If you don't like it, your normal browser will continue to work and you can go back to it.

If your PC or laptop is already infected, I would Google whatever you are seeing (the name of the icon that starts automatically, etc.) and see if you can find instructions on how to remove it. Odds are extremely high that someone has posted a fix. You will probably have to wade through a bunch of links that are ads for software that 'fixes' problems first though. Ignore any link that asks for money. You want to find a message board type site where users ask questions and experts answer them.

Good luck.

Check out Spybot S&D, a very well-known and free malware remover. It is very good. Install it, update all definitions, reboot into safe mode, and run it from there. Should take care of most nasties.

Spybot S&D is good as well as Malwarebytes, also a free malware remover. Follow same instructions, install it, update all definitions, reboot in safe mode and run it.

I'm also using norton 360 with chrome & other than running slow haven't had a problem. While 360 isn't free once you buy the initial copy you can upgrade yearly for free or as little as $5 0r $10 with the mail-in rebates. I've been doing this for years, just sign up for Frys (www.frys.com) weekly email specials, they're always running deals. Have you tried going to a prior restore point to clean up your problem?

Nice site! Bookmarking it. Thanks! :)
NP. The nice thing about it is that it can get as technical as one could imagine, but if you make it clear you are a novice/intermediate/etc user, most will tailor their answers to that level. This site has helped me with windows issues, stubborn viruses/malware, etc.

Hope it helps.

The spybot didn't work for me-I have used Firefox for years. I'll try the Malwarebytes. I wish it could be prevent at the site level.

The spybot didn't work for me-I have used Firefox for years. I'll try the Malwarebytes. I wish it could be prevent at the site level.
Have you installed the No Script add on for Firefox. It is crucial that you do this to ensure you don't have these types of problems in the future.

I use AVG and MalwareBytes...

I dropped FireFox as I did get some rather pesky Java exploit Trojans with FF... I am using Chrome exclusively now.

One important note... Regardles of browser you use, make SURE you are running the most recent and updated version of Java...

I have Norton 360, and I've seen several times where a virus has been blocked while on this site. I'm not a computer geek, so I would recommend buying that. It's like $65 I think.

Have you installed the No Script add on for Firefox. It is crucial that you do this to ensure you don't have these types of problems in the future.
Tomcat I will try to install the No Script-where do I find in of the Firefox site.

On another subject-your subscript. Try combining schools BB and FB victories and I think you will find that SU is 2 or 3 in the nation in total victories-behind only UNC and maybe one more. Extremely impressive and certainly the higher private school. Also-great trivia question-name the D-1 schools that have won both a football and basketball championship. There are only 8 or 9 schools-I can't remember them all but we are the only private school. SU-Fla (twice), I think Michigan, (maybe Michigan State), Ohio State. I can't remember the rest. Good stuff to add to our resume on your posts.

P.S. thanks for the reply I hope this works because this site keeps me up to date on what's going on at the Cuse. The Oklahoma paper give me nothing.

Tomcat I will try to install the No Script-where do I find in of the Firefox site.

On another subject-your subscript. Try combining schools BB and FB victories and I think you will find that SU is 2 or 3 in the nation in total victories-behind only UNC and maybe one more. Extremely impressive and certainly the higher private school. Also-great trivia question-name the D-1 schools that have won both a football and basketball championship. There are only 8 or 9 schools-I can't remember them all but we are the only private school. SU-Fla (twice), I think Michigan, (maybe Michigan State), Ohio State. I can't remember the rest. Good stuff to add to our resume on your posts.

P.S. thanks for the reply I hope this works because this site keeps me up to date on what's going on at the Cuse. The Oklahoma paper give me nothing.
Go to Tools->Add-ons. In the search bar (upper right) type in No-Script and click the magnifying glass. Click on the Install button.

To fix redirects:
1. First remove virus/malware. The free version I recommend is Microsoft Security Essentials. It has a higher detection rate than McAfee's paid services. If you have the money, Kaspersky is the best but more expensive at $60+. For anyone who is a Time Warner customer and hasn't used it yet, they provide 1 free year of CA's Internet Security.

2. Check your host file: The host file can be used to redirect your browser. It can be found in C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc . Inside you will see the following text:
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host
If you see anything relating to Google. Delete the whole line. Save the file and reboot your computer.
3. Remove all proxy entries. Inside IE click on Tools->Internet Options->Connections, then click the Lan Settings button. Uncheck all boxes for proxy and click Ok/Apply, restart IE.
4. If you still can't get google to work then most likely there is a exe being called during the prefetch process. Removing this involves editing the registry and should be done by someone with knowledge of the registry.
No I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night and no I don't just play one on TV, I really am a systems admin. Be happy to help out the board whenever I can.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom