"Air Ball" | Syracusefan.com

"Air Ball"

longislandcuse

Living Legend

Kelly Quinlan
@Kelly_Quinlan

#GaTech will have white out shirts for the Syracuse gm with "air ball" on them for students.
7:30 PM · Jan 29, 2018

Retweets

Ehh... I guess that's clever if John Gillon still played here?

Game is sold out again - One of the best atmospheres in a small arena I've ever been to last time we played there. Hoping for the same with a different outcome tomorrow!

Their crowd was outstanding last year. Certainly impacted us.

lame that they are bringing that back considering Gillon is gone. However, i was furious when they kept chanting it and Gillon couldn't hit on shot to shut them up.

Apparently some Syracuse fan called Pastner to complain about it and Pastner, rightfully, shut the fan down by saying fans have been doing these things since Naismith invented basketball and if one of my guys did that at the Carrier Dome, 30,000 fans would be chanting it for an hour.

That being said, it seems like quite the random event to market..

And if someone airballs a shot tomorrow night, please do not get shook by some future engineers chanting at you.

Apparently some Syracuse fan called Pastner to complain about it and Pastner, rightfully, shut the fan down by saying fans have been doing these things since Naismith invented basketball and if one of my guys did that at the Carrier Dome, 30,000 fans would be chanting it for an hour.

That being said, it seems like quite the random event to market..

And if someone airballs a shot tomorrow night, please do not get shook by some future engineers chanting at you.
Its just weird it was a pretty non descript player in a non descript game. Its not like it happened in a final four.

Huge game today for both teams. If Moyer and Washington are out long term this game goes a long way to ensure a winning season.

Its just weird it was a pretty non descript player in a non descript game. Its not like it happened in a final four.
I agree. I was there and I didn't even remember it. Do any Georgia Tech fans know what they're referring to?

I agree. I was there and I didn't even remember it. Do any Georgia Tech fans know what they're referring to?
I was there too...Gillion threw up an air ball and everytime after that they screamed air ball everytime he touched it. They were merciless, Felt like Manley Field House. They (students) affected the course of the game.

Congrats to them - selling out there building, and engaging their student section and fan base for a match up of two mediocre teams.

Make no mistake. This was a factor in last years game. That said it was a heat of the moment thing. Absolutely embarrassing for their program to bring it back up. I’ll talk the 20 GT alums I work with how embarrassed they should be.

Congrats to them - selling out there building, and engaging their student section and fan base for a match up of two mediocre teams.

And they have less of a marketing staff than we do!

We played like a bunch of baby kittens there last year. That said all of Gillons good games outside of NC State came at home. He never played well on the road except when’s a Dennis Smith didn’t care to play defense.

They didn't sell out their building. Syracuse did. Last year it was generously 60/40 Tech fans. Interested to see how tonight looks.

Granted, I've been sick for two days and am pretty tired this morning, but I have no memory of this at all. None. Other than some 40-something to 40-something crapfest during Rakeem's senior year, I can't say I remember anything about Georgia Tech since we joined the league.

So...yeah. It's weird that they made a shirt for that.

I think Battle starts his climb back up the draft board tonight.

Hey, remember that game when that guy shot an airball and the fans chanted airball?

That’s every game. Weirdos.

I think their fans got to Gillon. If he just could have made a shot to shut them up, it would have been nothing. However, he couldn't do it so the chant went on and on. Then, to make things worse, after the game some syracuse fan complains to Pastner AND when they came to play in the dome some of our fans tried to repay the favor in Syracuse. That flopped badly.

That all said, while I can appreciate their efforts to get the fans into the game, hyping an airball thing on t-shirts is very, very weak (bordering on embarrassing). Especially being that we thumped them by 29 when they came to the dome.

Anyone else have to think about it for more than 10 seconds to even remember what "Air Ball" referred to?

I remember it now, it definitely got to Gillon. But it must suck to be a Georgia Tech fan if they are still occupying mental capacity with something like this.