Air Raid Coaching Tree; The guys who Failed... | Syracusefan.com

Air Raid Coaching Tree; The guys who Failed...

orangeinjersey

All Conference
So not really being an X's and O's guy, i went ahead to the place one goes for all the answers on the internet...Wikipedia, to do some reading on the Air Raid Offense and its origins. Looking at the coaching tree from its origination, does anyone have any insight why it DIDNT work out for a few of these guys?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_raid_offense

Guys who it didnt work out for...

Mark Mangino Kansas...(learned from leach while at OU)
Ruffin McNeal ECU (learned under leach at Texas Tech)

The book is still out for a few others...but you get the point. I know everyone is excited, but the two above worked under leach for a long time and couldnt put it together. Anyone know why?

So not really being an X's and O's guy, i went ahead to the place one goes for all the answers on the internet...Wikipedia, to do some reading on the Air Raid Offense and its origins. Looking at the coaching tree from its origination, does anyone have any insight why it DIDNT work out for a few of these guys?

The book is still out for a few others...but you get the point. I know everyone is excited, but the two above worked under leach for a long time and couldnt put it together. Anyone know why?
mcneill did just fine and everyone wonders why they canned him

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/coaches/ruffin-mcneill-1.html

Briles worked for Leach, but I don't consider him part of that Air Raid group. He learned some things but he already had his system from HS. Much more balanced system.

Probably because they weren't good coaches

Briles worked for Leach, but I don't consider him part of that Air Raid group. He learned some things but he already had his system from HS. Much more balanced system.
i can always find a way to credit leach for everything good

if it weren't for leach, briles would still be coaching high school football and the few people who would've known about his offense would've derided it as being way too simple for college. leach gave us briles who gave us babers

i get what you're saying about briles taking the offense a different direction

a similarity is that it's not about playbooks - less time installing, more time practicing the important stuff

wow! Talk about bad perception, he won an Orange Bowl in 2007, where the was I for that? He actually was moderately successful at KU. Thanks for heads up Millhouse.
i had to look that up. who around here can remember anything from 2007? gerg made me forget about everything that ever happened those years, even at other schools

things are going to be great here.

Mangino is the best head coach Kansas ever had in recent history, he was successful there on the field a mess of it though. McNeil is a D guy tough to tell
wouldn't surprise me if their AD is a meathead that is offended by the air raid, deep down.

ECU is going to need to let their OCs grow into the job once in a while

Kansas went to an Orange Bowl under Mangino. I'm not sure how they transported him there, but the team certainly played.

ECU firing confused the entire college football world.

Speaking of ECU, any talent on that roster? This goes against my transfer theory, but from what I heard on the radio yesterday, the players (along with everyone else) are really angry about it. Maybe a few WRs we can grab?

Yeah, if these are examples of failures, you're in good shape. Mangino worked miracles at Kansas, but got fired for non-football things. He is far an away the most (only?) successful Kansas coach in most of our lifetimes.

McNeil did great at ECU...that firing is odd to say the least.

Yeah, if these are examples of failures, you're in good shape. Mangino worked miracles at Kansas, but got fired for non-football things. He is far an away the most (only?) successful Kansas coach in most of our lifetimes.

McNeil did great at ECU...that firing is odd to say the least.

I hadt really followed either. I just know they got fired. But looking at each of their regimes, none were close to the level of incompetence that usually gets guys fired.

i had to look that up. who around here can remember anything from 2007? gerg made me forget about everything that ever happened those years, even at other schools

things are going to be great here.

I remember that season, it was the first time before and since that I heard the name Kansas in the top 10 for football. He did a hell of a job there.

Mark-Mangino-John-Rieger.jpg

He did usually look like he was about to burst on the sidelines though...maybe his health had something to do with his other issues.

Last edited:
Holgorsen is going to be the next "failed" air raid guy for not beating a bunch of better programs who run the same offense

i get that WVU wants to be better than 7-5 but holgorsen still might give them a better shot than whoever they replace him with

he might end up in the AAC just terrorizing teams. big 12 is the worst place for him - he needs to be against the grain

Millhouse said:
Holgorsen is going to be the next "failed" air raid guy for not beating a bunch of better programs who run the same offense i get that WVU wants to be better than 7-5 but holgorsen still might give them a better shot than whoever they replace him with he might end up in the AAC just terrorizing teams. big 12 is the worst place for him - he needs to be against the grain

Wake is not a good fit, but I'd bet the job will be open in the next two years.