Al Golden Out At Miami | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Al Golden Out At Miami

Miami's natural resources are better then what anyone else has to offer.

I should clarify, I believe the recruiting area is the best in america. If you can keep the players at home then you would have a dominant team. As I said, they do not have the fans or money that the big time universities have. And they have a huge stadium issue right now, but you would be mistaken if you believed their was a bigger recruiting hot bed then Miami. Look what Butch Davis did, as he said he built a fence around Miami and went at it hard. He proceeded to put together possibly the best roster in college football history. And I extremely disagree regarding the talent not wanting to stay home. You put the right coach in place they will stay, even Bruce Feldman said as much in his article and that guy is very plugged in.

Yes, from a recruiting perspective, you are 100% correct.

Issue is that Miami can't keep the best talent around anymore. These other schools have made massive in-roads down there.

Yes, from a recruiting perspective, you are 100% correct.

Issue is that Miami can't keep the best talent around anymore. These other schools have made massive in-roads down there.

And I believe if they brought in a Cristobal or Strong who have those strong ties and are great recruiters, that talent will stay home. But we will see

Not even close to the best job in America. The local kids don't necessarily want to play for The U anymore. All of these other big schools can come down and pick some of the best talent.

Just to name a few of WAY better jobs than Miami:

Alabama
Georgia
Ohio State
Michigan
USC
Texas
Florida
Florida State

Maintenance guy at the local strip club when minimum wage goes up to $15.

Go ahead say it--Doug Marrone. For Chrissake recruiting would fall right in his lap.,

G'night friends, see ya tomorrow!

Coaching trumps recruiting.

You have to get players, if you are a halfway decent x's and o's guy, and you have a good coaching staff, you will be fine, but recruiting is the name of the game.

Another in a long line pf coaching failures that some board posters wanted at Syracuse (recently-fired George O'Leary was another.).
When will fans learn that not all coaching gigs require the same attributes? Success at one program does not guarantee success at another.
To be fair (and full disclosure I was one who wanted Golden to be considered at SU), just because he failed at Miami, doesn't mean he wouldn't have been successful at the Cuse.

I would hardly Call oleary a coaching failure, time for him to move on and retire? Sure but guy has won a lot of football games and beat Baylor in the fiesta bowl a couple years ago. He's had a pretty solid career.
You're right... that's probably too harsh of a characterization. Up until this year, he had a solid coaching career at GaTech and UCF. But SU fans would be calling for his head after an 0-8 start.

To be fair (and full disclosure I was one who wanted Golden to be considered at SU), just because he failed at Miami, doesn't mean he wouldn't have been successful at the Cuse.
I agree. Every coaching gig is different, and Miami, despite their recruiting advantage, is a tough job these days.

The recruiting ground is great...its just the Minor detail of having poor facilities, no fan or administrative support, a stadium that's like 1000 miles from campus, and two legit factories just down the road.

I would hire Dan Campbell before a lot of those clowns, that guy would recruit the ship out of Miami...

And they had a legacy decommit (albeit a 2018 prospect, so he might have eventually flipped anyway, but still)

Al Golden was never that good. People like his last name, they like that he's a big oaf, they like that he wears a tie, they like that they heard he's a good recruiter.

You can't just recruit your way to a good offense anymore. And it doesn't matter how good a defensive coach you are, you are going to have crappy defenses some years.

You can't just recruit your way to a good offense anymore. And it doesn't matter how good a defensive coach you are, you are going to have crappy defenses some years.

This quote doesn't exactly bode well for the future of HCSS does it?

orangeinjersey said:
This quote doesn't exactly bode well for the future of HCSS does it?

I read that and thought the opposite.

Lester is fine. Needs more plays.

Our defense is down a bit this year, but is improving each week. They will be back to being good next season.

And it doesn't matter how good a defensive coach you are, you are going to have crappy defenses some years.

Hmmm...something to consider, for sure.

It wouldn't shock me if Golden ended up back at Temple once that coach is hired away

Millhouse said:
Al Golden was never that good. People like his last name, they like that he's a big oaf, they like that he wears a tie, they like that they heard he's a good recruiter. You can't just recruit your way to a good offense anymore. And it doesn't matter how good a defensive coach you are, you are going to have crappy defenses some years.

I don't think it helped that he looked like Ted Striker trying to land a 747 by the middle of the third quarter.