Alabama: 5 players tested Positive for COVID | Page 24 | Syracusefan.com

Alabama: 5 players tested Positive for COVID

This guy on Twitter is an agent for many NFL players. So that is the source of this rumor

The notion of spring football is a joke. So they're going to play 20-25 games in a calendar year? "We're first and foremost concerned about the student athlete's safety." lol
And any eligible player with even a remote shot of playing in the NFL in 2021 will most certainly bag the spring.

Last edited:
These ND professors make a lot of sense.

Yes. And the dashboard. 531 new cases since Wednesday. All bars and restaurants closed.

What do you feel I missed?

for starters the article is poorly written because some things in it didn't seem to fit together. But I first noted this:

The school previously announced re-entry testing for students yielded a less-than 1 percent positivity rate. The new dashboard put the positive test rate for reentry at 1.04 percent of the 29,938 tests. The new numbers do not include those 311 positive tests from reentry.

Then I noted this: 531 confirmed cases between students, faculty and staff were reported on the Tuscaloosa campus since classes resumed Aug. 19 . Seems like a lot until you realize the Alabama enrollment is 38,500 and including faculty and staff must go over 40,000 people.

I wasn't sure what to make of the article though. The 531 comprise what ? If it's out of 40,000 you're talking .01% and we don't have any other information surrounding the positives.

Last edited:
These ND professors make a lot of sense.

Mehh... 2 lawyers, a political scientist, a theologist, and an economist.

for starters the article is poorly written because some things in it didn't seem to fit together. But I first noted this:

The school previously announced re-entry testing for students yielded a less-than 1 percent positivity rate. The new dashboard put the positive test rate for reentry at 1.04 percent of the 29,938 tests. The new numbers do not include those 311 positive tests from reentry.

Then I noted this: 531 confirmed cases between students, faculty and staff were reported on the Tuscaloosa campus since classes resumed Aug. 19 . Seems like a lot until you realize the Alabama enrollment is 38,500 and including faculty and staff must go over 40,000 people.

I wasn't sure what to make of the article though. The 531 comprise what ? If it's out of 40,000 you're talking .01% and we don't have any other information surrounding the positives.
All irrelevant, imo. 311 cases on 30k re-entry tests- not included. In less than one week 531 new positives(not safer than home 80% increase) . Who cares what the % is? Each 1 is a new vector that increases transmission to the community. Look at the geometric increases at UNC/ND .

The valid information surrounding the positives, is that they are positive, and will transmit to another.

Mayor/Governor have said if it isn't controlled they will have to use stronger measures. I presume, shutting down more than just the bars.

Last edited:
Curious on the # for closure. I'm guessing til every last one is immune. Governor and Mayor already threatened more drastic measures. This will be interesting.

Crimson tide have more active cases than 4 entire states. I guess we were stupid with the mask wearing and such...

Last edited:
For some perspective. Bama and UNC have 2000 combined active cases, for 50,000 kids. Thats a larger total than 131 countries.

'Merica.

(if you are a glass half full person, they still have 64 countries to beat)
Yeah, but how many football teams do those countries have?

UNC is WAY better than them in the only metric that matters: Cases / (football teams * degree to which the geography was in the CSA).

It will be fine.

Yeah, but how many football teams do those countries have?

UNC is WAY better than them in the only metric that matters: Cases / (football teams * degree to which the geography was in the CSA).

It will be fine.
You have multiplied by zero degrees earned(UNC), for zero, and then divided the # of cases by zero. I approve your method.

unnamed.jpg
download.jpeg

Last edited:
These results, in a nut shell, are what drive me nuts. The social, economic, and often health risk from COVID isn't the immediate effects of the disease. It's the heightened risk of long term organ damage.

People who dismiss it as a bad flu and/or overblown because of a 0.74% mortality rate are wildly <insert stronger word for "stupid" here>.

This virus exists because we let it exist, and it thrives on a toxic mixture of stupidity and selfishness.

These results, in a nut shell, are what drive me nuts. The social, economic, and often health risk from COVID isn't the immediate effects of the disease. It's the heightened risk of long term organ damage.

People who dismiss it as a bad flu and/or overblown because of a 0.74% mortality rate are wildly <insert stronger word for "stupid" here>.

This virus exists because we let it exist, and it thrives on a toxic mixture of stupidity and selfishness.
I agree with your sentiment, 100%. Instead of piling on, I figured I'd offer a positive counter, as there haven't been many.

The prevelence of athletes returning with heart issues is high enough, that some schools are doing base line EKG's. TCU found a kid that had a pre-existing heart issue, this way, that could have killed him. Procedure was a success, and he'll be fine. ;-)

I'll take what I can get. I like this story, and I'm happy for the young man.

I agree with your sentiment, 100%. Instead of piling on, I figured I'd offer a positive counter, as there haven't been many.

The prevelence of athletes returning with heart issues is high enough, that some schools are doing base line EKG's. TCU found a kid that had a pre-existing heart issue, this way, that could have killed him. Procedure was a success, and he'll be fine. ;-)

I'll take what I can get. I like this story, and I'm happy for the young man.
Looks like he went public. Cool.

Last edited: