Am I the only one who noticed... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Am I the only one who noticed...

That's a pile of crap.

It sure is! A four year starter for a top 5-10 program throughout that time frame as well. I guess it's clear then...Triche must really have something good on JB. ;)

a dramatic drop off at PG last night when MCW wasn't on the court.

Brandon has to be better with the ball than he was last night. He was atrocious considering he is a sr. Only downside I noticed last night.

Lots to really like. Really enjoy watching mcw play. I just love his game - It's borderline irrational. He just makes the others better.

Southerland will flourish this year if he is able tyo receive the ball in rhythm like last night.

I think we may be a bit soft inside defensively, but it's picking nits.

8.5 deep this year. A perfect JB rotation. Love the parts that we have.

Could use one more dribble penetration player. I expect other teams to crowd us and force us to use the bounce. It's why Brandon must be better with the ball. I think it's the key to a deep run.
Getting in the lane is definitely not as easy as it was last year with Dion coming off the bench. Our starting guards had 9 TO's. But a lot to like. JB used every combination imaginable ... the only thing we didn't see was DC2 at the point. ;) Pace crowded the inside to prevent the pass ... and was largely successful (14 steals). BT wasn't the only one who turned it over trying to throw it inside, CJ did this too, and MCW. Very sloppy ... but the good news is we have someone who (if he gets a pass down low) can do something with it. DC looks like a young Sullinger, with more bulk, if that's possible. He's going to be a machine (but probably not this year).

Nice stat line for Rak ... 7 pts but 9 rbs, 5 assists and 5 blocks. Productive, and that rebound jam was nasty. Let's see how he does in BE play.

Once things settle down with the rotation, I think the DC2 experiment at PF goes away ... he's just too big to get out on the wing (ask Eismeier). JS looked surprisingly good at the 2, and I like Grant as a backup 4. He's very long and seems to gravitate to the paint, with 7 boards to prove it. He also had a nasty looking jam off a feed from Rak.

Let's see if things settle down when TC comes back tomorrow (?). Overall, very raw but very promising.

Yet he won 4-5 games for us last year. One exhibition game and people are already calling out players. Somehow though JB is going to play him more than anyone and he is a good bet to lead the team in scoring and JB has said he has been our neat defensive guard for 3 years. Yet, he sucks.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

But now you're assuming JB knows something about coaching basketball. We all know JB sucks too. I know that because I've read it here many times. Just like I know it's a good idea to look at a single exhibition game and draw definitive conclusions about how certain players will perform, not just this season but over their entire careers. It's really an easy game to understand -- you just have to know what to look for (or which posters to follow).

For Four (4) years I have heard the same bull...and can't quite see it the way some of you do...so:
Not even a Jack & Coke for a few hours but I am ready to STOP THIS ABOUT TRICHE NOW: here is the bet...FIRST TO TAKE GETS BET:
Four tickets to first 'Cuse/NCState game in ACC in Raleigh vs. a case of Jack Daniels and case of Coke (I will throw in a steak dinner for two also at restaurant of my choice--(I know good ones in Raleigh)
Steveholt, Jake, Ithaca Matt, Sobicuse, Mymelomyman, and Albanycuse...
First of above get the bet:
'Cuse with Triche go at least as far as 'Cuse last year in the NCAA's....and if 'Cuse does, you will write a post indicated that you were wrong about Triche. and pay up as indicated above..and I will do the same.
ANY TAKER?

Yet he won 4-5 games for us last year. One exhibition game and people are already calling out players. Somehow though JB is going to play him more than anyone and he is a good bet to lead the team in scoring and JB has said he has been our neat defensive guard for 3 years. Yet, he sucks.

Yes, Triche is a very good player. He's been streaky good in the past, where he's had like a 6 or 8 game run of excellence pretty much every year, winning us a handful of games, as you pointed out. What we need from him this year is just more consistency and a little more self confidence. He gets down on himself kind of like Demetris Nichols used to as an underclassman. He's a very talented kid. And although Mike threw the ball away more than Triche did, it was because Mike was the primary ball handler for 30 minutes in an exhibition game. Triche was only out there 10 minutes by himself and had 5 turnovers. He didn't play terribly, but he didn't play up to par.

Getting in the lane is definitely not as easy as it was last year with Dion coming off the bench. Our starting guards had 9 TO's. But a lot to like. JB used every combination imaginable ... the only thing we didn't see was DC2 at the point. ;) Pace crowded the inside to prevent the pass ... and was largely successful (14 steals). BT wasn't the only one who turned it over trying to throw it inside, CJ did this too, and MCW. Very sloppy ... but the good news is we have someone who (if he gets a pass down low) can do something with it. DC looks like a young Sullinger, with more bulk, if that's possible. He's going to be a machine.

Nice stat line for Rak ... 7 pts but 9 rbs, 5 assists and 5 blocks. Productive, and that rebound jam was nasty.

Once things settle down with the rotation, I think the DC2 experiment at PF goes away ... he's just too big to get out on the wing (ask Eismeier). JS looked surprisingly good at the 2, and I like Grant as a backup 4. He's very long and seems to gravitate to the paint, with 7 boards to prove it. He also had a nasty looking jam off a feed from Rak.

Let's see if things settle down when TC comes back tomorrow (?). Overall, very raw but very promising.

Cooney back should help. When James or C.J. switched over to guard, neither one of them thought about helping bring the ball up. We need another ball handler out there, just so the PG has someone to pass it to to relieve ball pressure.

Lots of discussion/concern about Triche and the PG beyond MCW. I don't think that we should make too much out of this. Triche played fine in the first half and the team in general was just a bit too loose in the second. If I recall correctly they only had 6 turnovers as a team at halftime, when the game was already decided. I wouldn't expect BT, MCW or anyone to be so careless in more competitive situations. And, I think it’s only a matter of time before Triche regains a comfortable connection with Coleman. No doubt that Triche needs to step up as a senior but let’s not tear him apart just yet.

Also, Cooney is extremely capable at handling and distributing the ball. He is so much more than just a sharpshooter. Triche saw reduced minutes last year, taken by Waiters. I think Boeheim is smart enough to keep that same fire under BT’s arse.

For me though, in as much as you can tell from the 1st exhibition of the season, I was most pleased and impressed with Keita! With all the hubbub about Coleman, let’s remember that DC is likely to be at least foul-prone if not suffer some stints of poor play. Keita played with confidence and determination and seemed much faster to his spots and to the ball than in the past two years. It is of paramount importance that he play quality minutes and he will be key to the team’s success should Coleman, and to a lesser degree Rak, falter.

Jake is right, Triche played very poorly.

Jake is also right on the money when he says that we are going to need Triche to handle the ball a lot because teams are going to pressure us all season long and MCW cant carry the load all by himself with no help (and I'm adding this part, there's nobody to help him but Triche).

I want to add that Triche playing poorly in an exhibition does not necessarily mean he will play poorly over the season. We've seen enough of Triche to know that he could easily score twenty on Sunday and make us all forget about today. I dont think he will be overly shaky handling the ball this year, and I'm not sure I am overly worried about turnovers. I think that might be an early season problem at worst. Still, it is very fair to say that every time Triche plays the way he did against Pace during the regular season we are going to be looking at a loss.

I liked Jake's original post as well as this one. The thing that concerns me, however, is the bolded part. I'm either naive in thinking guys like Coleman and Cooney are bigger X factors (in terms of potentially being big parts of our success) or I'm simply kidding myself and not wanting to admit that Triche is the true key to the season.

Either way, I think if we are banking on Triche be something other than what he has been for the last four years, then we're in trouble. The kid can dribble, but he's not terribly consistent as a PG. The kid can shoot but he's not JJ Reddick. The kid can get to the basket, but isn't a dynamic finisher. (As an aside: RELAX people who don't want anything bad said about BT, that's not an insult! He's been a nice complimentary piece on three teams that combined to win 90+ games. That's pretty good.)

I just think, at the end of the day, BT has been and will continue to be a big asset for this program, but I just don't see him being a guy that will thrive being asked to greatly expand his game/role.

Cooney is extremely capable at handling and distributing the ball. He is so much more than just a sharpshooter. Triche saw reduced minutes last year, taken by Waiters. I think Boeheim is smart enough to keep that same fire under BT’s arse.

Cooney isn't going to take minutes from Triche, nor MCW. When we get into the meet of the schedule, you will see a heavy dose of Triche/MCW. Both will be north of 30 mpg. Of course Cooney will play and if he gets hot, he may play a bit more than most games. But he'll be expected to spell Triche and MCW probably 7-8 minutes each per game.

Bees, if you didn't see the game how can you comment this much?

Triche stunk. He is madly inconsistent, despite his "winning 4-5 games for us last year". For a senior, that's unacceptable at this level.

Bottom line - we need him to play better than he did last night. And if that was an isolated incident, it wouldn't be as much of a concern as it is. It wasn't, he has pulled the same crap with the stupid turnovers, getting caught in the air, overpenetrating, etc. for the last three years.

Cooney isn't going to take minutes from Triche, nor MCW. When we get into the meet of the schedule, you will see a heavy dose of Triche/MCW. Both will be north of 30 mpg. Of course Cooney will play and if he gets hot, he may play a bit more than most games. But he'll be expected to spell Triche and MCW probably 7-8 minutes each per game.

Bees sounds right...and that gives Cooney up to 14-17 minutes a game...not bad for a red shirt Frosh.

BT with the ball does not worry me. I have not watched the game yet, but MCW will have his pocket picked many time by crafty, quick defenders if he has not overcome his "high-dribbler" habit. I think Seinfeld had an episode about it once. :)

Bees, if you didn't see the game how can you comment this much?

Triche stunk. He is madly inconsistent, despite his "winning 4-5 games for us last year". For a senior, that's unacceptable at this level.

Bottom line - we need him to play better than he did last night. And if that was an isolated incident, it wouldn't be as much of a concern as it is. It wasn't, he has pulled the same crap with the stupid turnovers, getting caught in the air, overpenetrating, etc. for the last three years.

What does seeing an exhibition game have to do with a comment on mpg during the season?

bees is in love with triche, he might have more man love for triche than i do for dion :D

Not even close bud. Who had 27 pics of their manlove in their sig?

I think that Brandon needs to be issued a hall pass for the first few games while both he and the rest of the team get a feel for playing together and settling into their roles. Triche unarguably has the talent and physical gifts to get the job done. I'm betting that this is the year that he puts it all together and plays up to the level we've all been waiting for. The confidence factor is the one dimension that have held him in check the past couple seasons. I remember several games that he carried the team and also recall Jay Bilas saying that he was perhaps the best player on the court.

It's really difficult to really make any accurate assessments based on the first Exhibition Game against a team like Pace. After the San Diego game there will be a lot more clarity as to how this team and it's individual players measure up.

Yet he won 4-5 games for us last year. One exhibition game and people are already calling out players. Somehow though JB is going to play him more than anyone and he is a good bet to lead the team in scoring and JB has said he has been our best defensive guard for 3 years. Yet, he sucks.

i didnt even watch the exhibition game. im talking about watching the guy for three years. he's not that good. maybe in year six he will figure it out

It sure is! A four year starter for a top 5-10 program throughout that time frame as well. I guess it's clear then...Triche must really have something good on JB. ;)

what does the fact that he's a starter on a good team have to do with anything specific to him? How good was will perdue? He started on a few championship teams.

but to clarify things for the masses here. i didnt say triche sucked. i said he is not very good. you people that are expecting this huge jump from him, as you do every year, are bound to be disappointed.

if it comes down to mcw or triche getting time..then please believe me, our success will be inversely proportional to the amount of time triche plays.

I liked Jake's original post as well as this one. The thing that concerns me, however, is the bolded part. I'm either naive in thinking guys like Coleman and Cooney are bigger X factors (in terms of potentially being big parts of our success) or I'm simply kidding myself and not wanting to admit that Triche is the true key to the season.

Either way, I think if we are banking on Triche be something other than what he has been for the last four years, then we're in trouble. The kid can dribble, but he's not terribly consistent as a PG. The kid can shoot but he's not JJ Reddick. The kid can get to the basket, but isn't a dynamic finisher. (As an aside: RELAX people who don't want anything bad said about BT, that's not an insult! He's been a nice complimentary piece on three teams that combined to win 90+ games. That's pretty good.)

I just think, at the end of the day, BT has been and will continue to be a big asset for this program, but I just don't see him being a guy that will thrive being asked to greatly expand his game/role.

We dont need Triche to be JJ Reddick or Magic Johnson to be a great team. We do need him to be a solid ball handler and we need him to be able to handle pressure D. Ideally I'd like to see Triche be aggressive with the ball and draw a lot of fouls because he might not be able to shoot 3's like JJ Reddick but he can shoot free throws like JJ Reddick.

We dont need Triche to be JJ Reddick or Magic Johnson to be a great team. We do need him to be a solid ball handler and we need him to be able to handle pressure D. Ideally I'd like to see Triche be aggressive with the ball and draw a lot of fouls because he might not be able to shoot 3's like JJ Reddick but he can shoot free throws like JJ Reddick.
agree with that!

I think that Brandon needs to be issued a hall pass for the first few games while both he and the rest of the team get a feel for playing together and settling into their roles. Triche unarguably has the talent and physical gifts to get the job done. I'm betting that this is the year that he puts it all together and plays up to the level we've all been waiting for. The confidence factor is the one dimension that have held him in check the past couple seasons. I remember several games that he carried the team and also recall Jay Bilas saying that he was perhaps the best player on the court.

It's really difficult to really make any accurate assessments based on the first Exhibition Game against a team like Pace. After the San Diego game there will be a lot more clarity as to how this team and it's individual players measure up.

Good post, but I can't see how the San Diego carrier game will clarify much of anything; if only because of all the unique factors of that game. Maybe a few games after that.

I'm hoping Triche follows a sort of Lazarus Sims course (who became really efficient in his senior year, although he was probably a more talented ball handler prior to that).

BT is a good player and should be fine,he's just not a pg and he's not a superstar. The only thing about BT that worries me is that he is the only senior so JB will play him 30 plus minutes and at the end of games wether he's playing well or not.(kjo at the end of last year)Hopefully he doesn't go in one of his stretches where he loses confidence. And as for the turnovers ballhandling is going be a weakness most of the time when your shortest player is 6" 5 and you refuse to play 3 guard lineups.Think our team this year will be just like our 2 teams before last year's team- about 30 reg season wins and can beat anyone. But if we run into a team like a Butler or Marquette in March with really quick/quality perimeter defenders no matter how much more talented we are it's going to be really really tough sledding.

gawd sometimes it's just painful to come on here
Oh Lord

If he can either handle the ball, or show something on the drive, he might see 20 minutes a game, just so the other guys don't wear down and get injured.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom