An Amazing article on the Rutgers Athletic Program and $265 million in debt --worth not getting lost on page 442 of the dumpster fire thread | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

An Amazing article on the Rutgers Athletic Program and $265 million in debt --worth not getting lost on page 442 of the dumpster fire thread

What I wouldn’t give for one more Cali post… If I could choose it would be a preseason recruiting/season prediction post as he would really dive into every one of the 25 recruits he loved and how they were going to change the program and most likely immediately and then he would transition into sentence after sentence beautifully without any punctuation or paragraph breaks all while making sure you knew exactly how bright his orange colored glasses were and no matter what year after year throughout the leanest of seasons he always carried that torch and was the eternal optimist Jeremiah Kobena Steve Rene Tyree Smallwood it didn’t matter they were all the next Reggie Bush and we were always headed to the big game man was Cali a board gem and man do I miss him. RIP bud.
Given the subjects (Rutgers and Cali) it made me think of the 1st ever Cuse Cast from May of 2009. It is pretty bad but we get to hear from Cali and Rutgersal.

Cuse Cast

Given the subjects (Rutgers and Cali) it made me think of the 1st ever Cuse Cast from May of 2009. It is pretty bad but we get to hear from Cali and Rutgersal.

Cuse Cast

memories

Fun fact: Rutgers played in the very first college football game… and have been hemorrhaging money ever since!
The 1870 team went in deep debt over the train trip to Penn. The school was hemorrhaging Morgan Dollars left and right and was $51.13 in the red at the end of the three game season.

Seems like the kind of investigative piece that's going to cause major consequences in NJ. This part early in the article is mind blowing...

It's fun to pile on Rutgers, but "unsustainable" seems like the operative word for many, many college athletic departments.
Might not be just the athletic departments

It’s great when a taxpayer funded institution admits to “breaking their own rules.” There is another word for that..,

I can't imagine those "rules" aren't codified laws. I'm still in disbelief at how openly they all talked to the reporter.

I wonder if the Big 10 can off ramp Rutgers with this type of financial chicanery. I mean what will Rutgers provide to the Big 10 in the coming years???

The 1870 team went in deep debt over the train trip to Penn. The school was hemorrhaging Morgan Dollars left and right and was $51.13 in the red at the end of the three game season.
You laugh but I am pretty sure we were invited to the 1916(?) Rose Bowl but couldn’t make it because we had already spent all our athletic department funds on a string of games out west. Brown went in our place.

You laugh but I am pretty sure we were invited to the 1916(?) Rose Bowl but couldn’t make it because we had already spent all our athletic department funds on a string of games out west. Brown went in our place.
This is true. In 1915, I have read that Syracuse was the first team from the East to take the train out West and play teams out there in the regular season.

We traveled to Michigan in late October, and in late November-early December, played at Montana, at Oregon State and at Occidental.

Cuse benefits greatly from being the only show in town. Townies who don't go to school there are fans for life (me included).

Having lived in North Jersey for 6 years, Rutgers isn't a priority for in-state kids. I knew as many Jersey natives who were Maryland, UConn, and Delaware grads as Rutgers. It's just not viewed with the same esteem as Cuse is. And their historical lack of prestige in football and men's hoops doesn't help.

Cable boxes. That's entirely why they were added, and why there's zero chance they'd be removed from the conference.
I wonder if fubo yttv etc are dampening expectations for the giant bundles that include all the fringe shorts channels. People still want a bundle but they might not want the biggest bundle that includes btn

I have yttv and don't even know if it has btn, I care so little about it

I wonder if fubo yttv etc are dampening expectations for the giant bundles that include all the fringe shorts channels. People still want a bundle but they might not want the biggest bundle that includes btn

I have yttv and don't even know if it has btn, I care so little about it
Broadly speaking, those live streaming services carry most national sports networks, including the major conference networks. It's the regional sports networks that are not being carried, and the reckoning there is going to be painful.

Broadly speaking, those live streaming services carry most national sports networks, including the major conference networks. It's the regional sports networks that are not being carried, and the reckoning there is going to be painful.

If they aren't removed from the Big10 and you are probably right, it's preposterous to think they would, does the Big 10 have to provide rescue financing for them at some point to keep them solvent? NJ isn't going to continue dumping good money after bad into this carcass of an athletic dept. The New Jersey residents are going to scoff at this at some point right?

Still belongs in the dumpster fire
I am not saying it doesn't, but I never go to the Dumpster because I want to view something more targeted like this article is. Glad I didn't miss this one.

Cable boxes. That's entirely why they were added, and why there's zero chance they'd be removed from the conference.

In today's streaming, a la carte world, "cable boxes" is going to be like phone booths.

SUNJ's delivering the NYC market with all of their millions of invisible fans will be proven to be the farce it always was, when people vote with their wallets and do NOT watch them.

I wonder if the Big 10 can off ramp Rutgers with this type of financial chicanery. I mean what will Rutgers provide to the Big 10 in the coming years???

Wouldn't be surprised if it's on the agenda

1631124272717.png

I am not saying it doesn't, but I never go to the Dumpster because I want to view something more targeted like this article is. Glad I didn't miss this one.
You're missing the point. Rutgers is infamous for doing this stuff for the last 20 years. The reason there is a dumpster fire thread is so we don't litter the board with all of their nonsense. The entire premise of the thread is to gather it all into one place. Just open the thread. If you're too far behind, start with the last page, see what the current topic is and then go back a page or two until you find the start of the current conversation.

In today's streaming, a la carte world, "cable boxes" is going to be like phone booths.

SUNJ's delivering the NYC market with all of their millions of invisible fans will be proven to be the farce it always was, when people vote with their wallets and do NOT watch them.
Not in the next few years, and that's about as far a time horizon as college Presidents and ADs can envision these days.

The Rutgers athletic department is so incompetent that it makes the fiscal incompetence of the Maryland athletics department seem sound.

And then there's that New Jersey matter of corruption.

I still think the Big Ten's last push to score a major blow against the SEC's football dominance is to try to break up the ACC and add a bunch of ACC schools from VA to FL, and thereby being planted fully in the South. If Rutgers is let go, that opens 1 more slot for the BT to hope to fill.

Jim Phillips needs to make certain that ESPN knows that to continue to underpay the ACC is playing with fire over time. Per the number of viewers delivered, the ACC is worst paid conference: that means that ESPN actually makes big bucks on the ACC. The BT knows that, and so does Fox.

An easy win for their top tier programs. No competition in recruiting. Not like these are exclusively the realm of Suckgers

In a commercial context that would constitute fraud, but in the government/academic context intentionally misstating the balance sheet is just doing your job to hide the truth from taxpayers
It’s that kind of creativity that leads to awards and promotions in the public sector/academia

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom