An Open Letter to the ACC | Syracusefan.com

An Open Letter to the ACC

Doctor44

2nd String
As your newest members, we are excited about joining your conference, but we are not intimidated. This may seem like a big step up, and from the current state of the big east (now AAC) it is. However, we are accustomed to much better competition. We see Florida State as the Miami we once knew. We see Clemson as Virginia Tech. North Carolina state is West Virginia. We are glad to be moving on up, but we are not a fish out of water. We will meet these challenges head on. We are still a few years away from being at the level we expect our program, but this is the case regardless of our conference affiliation. We look forward to new friends and new rivals.

As your newest members, we are excited about joining your conference, but we are not intimidated. This may seem like a big step up, and from the current state of the big east (now AAC) it is. However, we are accustomed to much better competition. We see Florida State as the Miami we once knew. We see Clemson as Virginia Tech. North Carolina state is West Virginia. We are glad to be moving on up, but we are not a fish out of water. We will meet these challenges head on. We are still a few years away from being at the level we expect our program, but this is the case regardless of our conference affiliation. We look forward to new friends and new rivals.
I'd call this more of a "note" than a "letter." ;)

Only thing i would say about that letter is that VPI is and always was a better program than Clemson, and WVU as much as i hate them is much better program than NC State..but i love it regardless.

The following might need to appear in the letter somewhere as it will be our annual purpose:

Shafer's Hard Nosed mission is three parts:

Part one: Kick butt
Part Two: Take names
Part Three: Get T-Shirts

Simple, understandable, even a PSU* grad can understand it.

* Or other suitable college name here

Do any other ACC schools have a movie made about their Heisman winner?

Who enters the ACC as the all time winningest program in the league?

How many ACC schools have an NFL position award named after one of their players?

Do any ACC schools have 2 alums from the same school in head coaching positions in the NFL?

Syracuse craps more tradition than most (I am fully aware there are some solid schools in the ACC) schools in the ACC. We bow to no one.

Granted a ten year rebuilding effort is painful for everyone and we will likely need a couple more years to fully climb out of the hole we put ourselves in, but we will be hard-nosed competitive from game 1.

Glad y'all are in the league, no one thinks you will be intimidated though...

And if you think vt has always been better than clemson, well then I am guessing you are under 25. In which case you are still wrong, but somewhat understandable.

I appreciate the history that is Clemson football - but the comparison was made in the context of conference affiliation. We were independent for a long time and va tech was legit during the big east era.

Seems like a slap in the face to the new conference teams...

Clemson stadium 81,500 Virginia Tech stadium 66,000
Clemson leads the series with Virginia Tech 20-12-1
Since 1977 Clemson has beaten VT nearly twice as much as they have lost to them.
1977 31-13 Clemson
1978 38-7 Clemson
1979 21-0 Clemson
1980 13-10 Clemson
1984 17-10 Clemson
1985 20-17 Clemson
1986 14-20 VT
1987 22-10 Clemson
1988 40-7 Clemson (Edited, forgot to list this game originally.)
1989 27-7 Clemson
1998 0-37 VT
1999 11-31 VT
2000 20-41VT (Gator Bowl)
2006 7-24 VT
2007 23-41 VT
2011 23-3 Clemson
2011 38-10 Clemson (ACCCG)
2012 38-17 Clemson

Clemson has 1 NC and VT has none...Clemson has 18 conference titles, VT has 7. Clemson has won 17 bowls...VT has won only 10.
When Clemson won their conference titles VT wasnt in the conference so that is a dumb argument. Ill give you head to head but thats about it..and a head to head record doesnt prove a program being better than another by any means. I guess all that matters is that Syracuse has a much better program than Clemson. ;)

Clemson stadium 81,500 Virginia Tech stadium 66,000
Clemson leads the series with Virginia Tech 20-12-1
Since 1977 Clemson has beaten VT nearly twice as much as they have lost to them.
1977 31-13 Clemson
1978 38-7 Clemson
1979 21-0 Clemson
1980 13-10 Clemson
1984 17-10 Clemson
1985 20-17 Clemson
1986 14-20 VT
1987 22-10 Clemson
1989 27-7 Clemson
1998 0-37 VT
1999 11-31 VT
2000 20-31 VT (Gator Bowl)
2006 7-24 VT
2007 23-41 VT
2011 23-3 Clemson
2011 38-10 Clemson (ACCCG)
2012 38-17 Clemson

I love how 3 Clemson guys were here within hours to defend their team. It's passion like this that makes this such a better conference than OBE/AAC. Really looking forward to the Battle of the Orange in our house.

I love how 3 Clemson guys were here within hours to defend their team. It's passion like this that makes this such a better conference than OBE/AAC. Really looking forward to the Battle of the Orange in our house.

What else do they have to do?

8811561-standard.jpg

Based on what the Clemson fans have presented it is pretty clear Clemson is a superior program to VTech.

Which is why I'm glad we play them more often the Vtech!

As much harassment we are dishing out to the Clemson fans in this thread, I agree that I would rather play them than most other ACC schools. Clemson is historically a football school and has been for a long time. I have no issue with VATech, but let's be honest, other than Frank Beamer, what have they done? Also, VATech's success is often opportunistic in that they collect wins versus weak teams and name teams which are in down periods. They never dominate the name schools and they rarely beat the big boys when the big boys are playing well.

To be sure, I am not equating VATech with Rutgers. I'm just not convinced they are the truly dominant team that people often give them credit for.

When Clemson won their conference titles VT wasnt in the conference so that is a dumb argument. Ill give you head to head but thats about it..and a head to head record doesnt prove a program being better than another by any means. I guess all that matters is that Syracuse has a much better program than Clemson. ;)
Do you want me or you to thank your Syracuse buddies for proving my point that Clemson is a far better program? I know head to head does not determine a program, but Clemson has done way more than VT ever has ever thought about doing.

Ill admit..i was pushing your buttons about virginia tech. I appreciate your fandom. Im glad you realize that Syracuse has a more tradition-rich and historically important program than Clemson though. At least you are logical

Ill admit..i was pushing your buttons about virginia tech. I appreciate your fandom. Im glad you realize that Syracuse has a more tradition-rich and historically important program than Clemson though. At least you are logical
When did I ever say that? Does your 1959 national title beat our 1981 title? Does your 5 conference titles beat our 18? Now I think you are just typing out of this world stuff to push my buttons...but I do like how you stick up for your team also

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom