And so it begins re: PSU recruit | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

And so it begins re: PSU recruit

RF 2044 wrote:
The ones that leave aren't all necessarily going to end up at football factories.

He's right. Especially if you take a look at Penn State's 2011 and 2012 commits. They don't look all that dissimilar to our recent classes. And I don't think that the $EC would be lined up to take many of our recruits if we were the ones in the cross hairs. This is not meant as a diss to our commits, just stating what I see as the real talent level of State Pen's last two classes. Most of PSU's blue-chippers are from an excellent 2010 class.

Don't get me wrong. Even the loss of so-called 'average' recruits hurts when your scholies are limited. Other than at most 10 blue-chip guys, though, the 'talent' won't suffer, but the numbers will be a problem. Especially since the 2013 cycle will not be particularly helpful once many of the verbals opt out. Three bad classes in a row.

This has probably been mentioned, but I missed it. Marrone officially contacted O'Brien to discuss interest in recruiting his players. From Andy Staples' SI-CNN article:

USC certainly isn't the only suitor for Penn State players. Nittany Lions coach Bill O'Brien told ESPN Radio on Wednesday that Syracuse coach Doug Marrone, Central Florida coach George O'Leary and Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz have called to tell him of their intentions to recruit Penn State players. Other coaches have begun recruiting, but without the courtesy call to O'Brien. Plenty of other schools could use a back such as Redd or a linebacker such as Khairi Fortt, so for many of Penn State's players, the next few days or weeks will feel like high school all over again.

This has probably been mentioned, but I missed it. Marrone officially contacted O'Brien to discuss interest in recruiting his players. From Andy Staples' SI-CNN article:
Doug Marrone is a class act, that much is for certain.

@RGBearTerritory: SOURCE: LB Khairi Fortt has decided to transfer from #PennState to #Cal.

@bfeldmancbs
4-star DL recruit Jamil Pollard leaving Penn State to go to Rutgers: bit.ly/M2BCZG
5 hours ago

ESPN insider-

Today
Latest on possible PSU transfers

8:29AM ET
Penn State Nittany Lions

Silas Redd is now a USC Trojan instead of a Penn State Nittany Lion, and the floodgates appear to be opening.
Defensive tackle Jamil Pollard was the next to go.
"He's going to go to Rutgers," Pollard's high school coach, Clyde Folsom, told Wes Szafran of the News of Cumberland County. "He's leaving Penn State and going to Rutgers."
Tight end Kevin Haplea appears to have made a decision to move past Penn State as well.
"Penn State junior tight end Kevin Haplea intends to transfer to Florida State, said a source close to the situation, in the wake of NCAA sanctions handed down against the Nittany Lions," Corey Dowlar of NoleNation.com reported.
Linebacker Khairi Fortt is believed to be a Cal lean, but his family continues to deny that a decision has been made.
"I don't think he's coming back to Penn State," Sean Fitz of Lions247 told Patrick Woo of www.collegefootballfocus.net.
Kicker Anthony Fera wants to transfer to Texas, but admissions may be a problem.
"One source close to the situation told me they believe Fera wants to become a Longhorn, but the matter of admissions and dealing with UT transfer policies is the roadblock right now," Max Olson of HornsNation.com reported.
Quarterback Rob Bolden is set to be a LSU Tiger.
"A source close to the situation confirmed with me tonight that Penn State transfer Rob Bolden will join LSU's football team, probably Wednesday," Gary Laney of GeauxTigerNation.com reported.
And wide receiver Justin Brown is considering Oklahoma.
"They've been in contact," Brown told Carey Murdock & Josh McCuistion of SoonerScoop.com. "Not that much contact. They've backed off."
Oklahoma is hedging its bets with Brown due to the attrition the Sooners suffered this offseason at the wide receiver position.
"Stoops has not ruled out the return of any of his suspended receivers and their 'backed off; approach with Brown could further strengthen the rumors one or more of those receivers could return to the roster this fall," SoonerScoop.com added.
Brown appears more likely to be in State College this fall than Norman.

Judging from the paper today, Marorne doesn't want Curtis Dukes because it would be unfair to the players we have and/or he's won't be a difference maker and, perhaps, he doesn't want to vulturize his firiend's roster.

Too bad. Dukes has a combination of power and speed no back on our roster has. And if you are going to hasve a one back running game, you'd like to have a runner who has both. I was frustrated when we missed out on him three years ago and now it's happening again.

Judging from the paper today, Marorne doesn't want Curtis Dukes because it would be unfair to the players we have and/or he's won't be a difference maker and, perhaps, he doesn't want to vulturize his firiend's roster.

Too bad. Dukes has a combination of power and speed no back on our roster has. And if you are going to hasve a one back running game, you'd like to have a runner who has both. I was frustrated when we missed out on him three years ago and now it's happening again.

Jerome Smith.

Just curious what's Smith's fourty time? I know it doesn't mean much in pads but i just don't vision him going off tackle for fifty yards. I hope I'm wrong though.

Just curious what's Smith's fourty time? I know it doesn't mean much in pads but i just don't vision him going off tackle for fifty yards. I hope I'm wrong though.
Jarrod West tweeted that Smith ran a 4.4

And he's going to be running up the middle too. Probably more than off tackle.

Jerome Smith.

Other than tweets, what evidence do you have that Smith has the speed to take it all the way? I've seen none.

Other than tweets, what evidence do you have that Smith has the speed to take it all the way? I've seen none.
DC3 was never going to take one 80 yards to the house and was never confused with a burner. He did alright at SU and the Colts seem to like him. I think we'll be just fine with Smith.

What I've seen in Spring ball, practices, etc. I think he's faster than Antwon and Delone. They both broke the occasional 50 yarder and both finished with over 1,000 yds.

And I think Jerome will be better.

I think what confused a lot of people is that Marrone used Smith as a 3rd and short guy and don't realize he has very good speed. If Smith can stay healthy and the fact he was used on these types of situations and has speed shows a world of potential.

I think what confused a lot of people is that Marrone used Smith as a 3rd and short guy and don't realize he has very good speed. If Smith can stay healthy and the fact he was used on these types of situations and has speed shows a world of potential.

Agreed.

the dominoes are officially tumbling

Sounds short sighted to me if Dukes has expressed any interest in SU. "unfair to players we have..."? That would be a really bad reason to not improve your football team. "Doesn't want to vulturize his friends roster"? I understand that to a point. It seems more like a luxury a coach with a well established program and roster can do. I don't think anyone can say that SU is in that position yet. Right or wrong they are picked to finish 7th ahead of only Temple for a reason. "won't be a difference maker"? The only valid reason to not take Dukes. I have no idea if Dukes would be an improvement or not. I just hope that the coaching staff is not pursuing a kid like this for the right reasons. The other reasons are not conducive to long term employment.

I hope you are right, as he is "the guy" now. But if he had very good speed, why use him only on 3rd and short situations? And wouldn't it be good to have two guys with good pwoer and speed so you can alternate them, as we used to do with backs, to keep them fresh and give you alternatives if someone gets hurt?

Sounds short sighted to me if Dukes has expressed any interest in SU. "unfair to players we have..."? That would be a really bad reason to not improve your football team. "Doesn't want to vulturize his friends roster"? I understand that to a point. It seems more like a luxury a coach with a well established program and roster can do. I don't think anyone can say that SU is in that position yet. Right or wrong they are picked to finish 7th ahead of only Temple for a reason. "won't be a difference maker"? The only valid reason to not take Dukes. I have no idea if Dukes would be an improvement or not. I just hope that the coaching staff is not pursuing a kid like this for the right reasons. The other reasons are not conducive to long term employment.

The more I think about it the more I think the academic situation may have played a role here. They were saying that sometimes credits don't carry over when you transfer and Dukes had to play catch-up in that area as it was.

If he can stay healthy...why I think DM should've pursued Dukes...however, with Redd gone Dukes might of changed his mind to stay anyways. With these defections I think they'll struggle to find 5-6 wins as they are rebuilding this year.

@BFeldmanCBS
8th player to leave PSU program MT @azc_obert: OL Ryan Nowicki just told Illinois coaches he'll be playing for them, leaving Penn State

Guess it paid off for those Illinois coaches.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom