Andre Szmyt | Syracusefan.com

Andre Szmyt

David332

All American
I don’t want to see him again for the rest of the season. He doesn’t have it anymore. Holds some very special team records, but we can’t have a kicker who can’t nail these FGs for us in close games. Especially when all our games are close this season.

I don’t want to see him again for the rest of the season. He doesn’t have it anymore. Holds some very special team records, but we can’t have a kicker who can’t nail these FGs for us in close games. Especially when all our games are close this season.
He kicked the laces and it wasn’t the first time that’s happened

Babers said Andre mentioned something about that situation that he wasn’t willing to repeat so I’m sure it was at the very least about the laces.

I think when a kicker is struggling, you adjust your decision making accordingly. Don’t ask him to kick 40+ yarders, when he’s missing them all.

Seems simple to me. We should’ve went for it, tried to get a TD, and kicking the FG should’ve been the last resort. We had a timeout right?

528DECA6-0E0F-4FB6-B92F-02A6E012BA97.jpeg

Regardless of whose fault it is though: our FG kicking unit is shaky.
Exactly! As I mentioned in another thread, whether it's the blocking, the snap, the hold or the kick, if at least one of them keeps being off, that's a problem.

Exactly! As I mentioned in another thread, whether it's the blocking, the snap, the hold or the kick, if at least one of them keeps being off, that's a problem.
Yup. All I care about is whether that thing goes through the uprights, and I have zero confidence that it will if it’s a long kick. Not good.

So many 2000 similarities. We had a nasty defense and running game, shaky passing game and kicking game, and kept losing close games that season too. We were also 3-4 at this point in the season.

that’s like the 4th time that’s been posted in various threads. But everyone is going to ignore it and just keep complaining.
It’s ridiculous,

Even with the laces facing the correct way, a 48 yarder is far from a gimme. I'll agree that he has struggled this year but we have had some kickers in the past that would not have even been brought on the field to try from 48 yards. We have had situations in the past where we would have gone with the kickoff guy rather than use our otherwise reliable place-kicker from 48 yards. Sure, a 48 yarder can be made but it should not be thought of as automatic even with the laces facing the right way.

I think when a kicker is struggling, you adjust your decision making accordingly. Don’t ask him to kick 40+ yarders, when he’s missing them all.

Seems simple to me. We should’ve went for it, tried to get a TD, and kicking the FG should’ve been the last resort. We had a timeout right?
We used our last time out between 3rd and 4th

I feel bad for the kid. He’s not forgetting how to kick. He looks like a kid whose team doesn’t practice.

yep.

Feel bad for him... Kickers need consistency in cadence, snap and holding to be effective. We're clearly not providing that, so this is not really on Szmyt. Plus, it's not like he's an unknown quantity... We know how good he can be when the snap and hold sets are competent.

that’s like the 4th time that’s been posted in various threads. But everyone is going to ignore it and just keep complaining.

It’s not the first time it has happened in a game this year either. Why aren’t the coaches working on a solution?

Why does our punter have trouble kicking further than 35 yards and has multiple shanked punts per game?

We’re not taking about heroic athletic plays making catch over two defenders on the sidelines and staying in bounds, these are routine repetitive plays.

We need to just start going for it on 4th more often. The punter sucks and the FG unit isn’t cutting the mustard. If it’s not a chip shot FG you have to go for it. We have nothing to lose but yet Dino always seems to coach as if we have everything to lose.

It’s not the first time it has happened in a game this year either. Why aren’t the coaches working on a solution?

Why does our punter have trouble kicking further than 35 yards and has multiple shanked punts per game?

We’re not taking about heroic athletic plays making catch over two defenders on the sidelines and staying in bounds, these are routine repetitive plays.
The punter did a little better last night there were no obvious shanks and a couple good ones

I feel bad for the kid. He’s not forgetting how to kick. He looks like a kid whose team doesn’t practice.
But we spent so much time at the fan practice showing off our special teams. Surely it’s all we practice lol

The punter did a little better last night there were no obvious shanks and a couple good ones
You're right, but isn't it sad that's where we are now? We're accepting mediocrity. My local high school has a better punter than our dude. And I'm not joking.

He kicked the laces and it wasn’t the first time that’s happened
If Andre kicked the laces it wasn't his fault - it is up to the holder to spot, receive, place and spin the ball for the kicker to be in the best position possible laces facing the goal posts. If the holder is off with the ball so will the kick. I really doubt it had that much to do with the laces the kick went left because Andre's body and especially his hips did.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sdot

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom