Class of 2016 - Andrew White III thread - COMMITTED | Page 37 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 Andrew White III thread - COMMITTED

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait! You aren't starting our best front court player who can play all 3 positions? :confused:
The rest of that makes sense to me but I think Gillon starts after the way our offense has been the last few years. It's not like Howard was a great zone defender last season anyway.

I think Lydon should start. I put White in the starting lineup as an attempt to avoid that argument haha. Swap line 1 and line 4, and that's what I'd like. I also used the "/" with Howard and Gillon to avoid debating which of them should start. I will say that I don't think Howard and Gillon should be in the game at the same time, though, unless we're going small ball with Battle at SF for whatever reason.

Like X1000...enough with the line-ups.
Pretty fanatical fan base when it can put up five pages of posts in an hour on a Thursday afternoon in August debating guys who played 30 years ago. You gotta love it.

BTW, I am going to twist this back to AWIII and go on record as I will be surprised if there will be any type of announcement before the "official" meeting tomorrow.

Pretty fanatical fan base when it can put up five pages of posts in an hour on a Thursday afternoon in August debating guys who played 30 years ago. You gotta love it.

BTW, I am going to twist this back to AWIII and go on record as I will be surprised if there will be any type of announcement before the "official" meeting tomorrow.
word is he is a VERY quiet kid...

I think Lydon should start. I put White in the starting lineup as an attempt to avoid that argument haha. Swap line 1 and line 4, and that's what I'd like. I also used the "/" with Howard and Gillon to avoid debating which of them should start. I will say that I don't think Howard and Gillon should be in the game at the same time, though, unless we're going small ball with Battle at SF for whatever reason.

Lydon is a projected lottery pick, but we know JAB has not always started lottery picks. Not a problem. This team has a bunch of options. Lydon will definitely see time at center. He is too valuable to keep off the floor.

How quiet are we talking? Like outside looking in with the team quiet? Feels like he won't fit in?
As long as he doesn't get any teammate's girlfriends pregnant or go off and punch OTTO, I would have to believe he will fit in. We have to remember that he has had nice comments written about how nice he and his family are. Quiet, nice and polite (and can shoot 41% from 3) should do the trick.

As much as I love seeing pages of comments when I open this thread, it's disappointing when most of them are about other former players or roster debates. I really don't want this thread shut down again. Please, with a cherry on top?:)
download.jpg

Agreed--it sure is looking that way.

The right people "know," reading between the lines--it just hasn't been announced.

Which would have saved the board weeks of consternation, anxiety, and hand wringing [I can only speak for myself, but I've been checking the forum dozens of times per day for the past several weeks, hoping for an official AWIII update].

Question... JB said players will report tomorrow... to him. Is there any way for the public to know even if AW3 IS there and DOES report to JB? It's not like a practice reporters can watch and see who is there.

Question... JB said players will report tomorrow... to him. Is there any way for the public to know even if AW3 IS there and DOES report to JB? It's not like a practice reporters can watch and see who is there.
I'm sure someone would spot him on campus if nothing else.

Good point about Carmelo allowing for a less than ideal ball handling 2G. Maybe someone could make a list of skills that you need out on the floor at all times, like 2 ball handlers, 3 shooters, 1 shot blocker, 2 rebounders...and then create lineups with guys that check off the boxes. It shows how guys like Carmelo and Billy Owens check off so many boxes, that it allows for more specialized players to fill out the rotation. Lydon checks off a lot of boxes, unfortunately ball handling isn't one of them.
Ball-Handling: Gillon; Battle (check)
Distribution: Gillon/Howard (check)
Shooting: Gillon, Battle, White and Lydon (check)
Rebounding: Roberson, Lydon, DC2, Chukwu and White (check)
Scoring/Creating: Gillon; Battle (check)

Honestly I think White's best chance to get drafted is to showcase his best skill on a big stage, shooting! He can do that playing the back line on defense, where his physicality and rebounding will be a boon, and playing the wing on offense. He's not going to magically develop a handle, court vision and quickness to be an NBA 2G at 22 years old.

Hasn't he already done that, though? Isn't the B1G a big enough stage? Given what people here have said about his game, I don't see how a year at Syracuse as designated shooter is going to change scouts' minds on the kid. And he'll be a year older too and we all know what a premium is placed on age in the draft.

Hey, it's great for us as fans for him to be here but the "never at the 2" crowd are pretty much building a case for why he's a lost cause at the next level, which was supposedly the primary reason for transferring. If they're right, I hope Mr. White fully embraces the whole "one last chance at the big dance" mentality otherwise I see some potential trouble ahead.

Hasn't he already done that, though? Isn't the B1G a big enough stage? Given what people here have said about his game, I don't see how a year at Syracuse as designated shooter is going to change scouts' minds on the kid. And he'll be a year older too and we all know what a premium is placed on age in the draft.

Hey, it's great for us as fans for him to be here but the "never at the 2" crowd are pretty much building a case for why he's a lost cause at the next level, which was supposedly the primary reason for transferring. If they're right, I hope Mr. White fully embraces the whole "one last chance at the big dance" mentality otherwise I see some potential trouble ahead.
It's not so much that his game will be worlds different. It's that his (new) team, and his exposure, will be.

I don't believe his chances of being drafted are very good as you state. He did prove he can shoot but he was on a bad team that didn't move the ball well or get him the right shots. On SU next year I could see him raising his 3pt percentage to upper 40's. Its doable with better shots on a better team. Lets be honest no one cares much about Nebraska BBall but its not like the NBA scouts don't know what he offers which isn't going to change a whole lot in one season. Maybe he shots well enough for a team to take a flyer on him mid/late 2nd round.

It's not so much that his game will be worlds different. It's that his (new) team, and his exposure, will be.

If they can find kids at the mid-majors, they can find them at Nebraska. With the B1G network factored in, they probably had more national broadcasts than we did last year.

I don't believe his chances of being drafted are very good as you state. He did prove he can shoot but he was on a bad team that didn't move the ball well or get him the right shots. On SU next year I could see him raising his 3pt percentage to upper 40's. Its doable with better shots on a better team. Lets be honest no one cares much about Nebraska BBall but its not like the NBA scouts don't know what he offers which isn't going to change a whole lot in one season. Maybe he shots well enough for a team to take a flyer on him mid/late 2nd round.

Correct. The fact of the matter is that White is a borderline NBA talent [as evidenced by his evaluation after he declared for the NBA draft last year]. He's a good enough athlete, and a good enough shooter. The rest of his game probably isn't NBA caliber. He's a lot like Demetris Nichols in that regard.

BUT, that doesn't mean that he can't be a very good college player. And his particular skill set would be a significant offensive boon if he comes to SU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom