Class of 2016 - Andrew White III thread - COMMITTED | Page 38 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 Andrew White III thread - COMMITTED

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't believe his chances of being drafted are very good as you state. He did prove he can shoot but he was on a bad team that didn't move the ball well or get him the right shots. On SU next year I could see him raising his 3pt percentage to upper 40's. Its doable with better shots on a better team. Lets be honest no one cares much about Nebraska BBall but its not like the NBA scouts don't know what he offers which isn't going to change a whole lot in one season. Maybe he shots well enough for a team to take a flyer on him mid/late 2nd round.

I would imagine scouts take the quality of his teammates/coaches into consideration otherwise they would only draft kids from tournament teams. Just look at how many lottery picks Washington has produced recently and how many times they've been to the tournament.

If this kid transferred to improve his chances at getting drafted, I think just shooting a bunch of threes in front of Carrier Dome crowds isn't going to be enough to sway NBA teams. If he's coming because the coaches have a plan for him to further develop his game AND help us win, great for him and us. If they told him he could be our next Demetris Nichols, I hope he googled him before enrolling and not after.

Hasn't he already done that, though? Isn't the B1G a big enough stage? Given what people here have said about his game, I don't see how a year at Syracuse as designated shooter is going to change scouts' minds on the kid. And he'll be a year older too and we all know what a premium is placed on age in the draft.

Hey, it's great for us as fans for him to be here but the "never at the 2" crowd are pretty much building a case for why he's a lost cause at the next level, which was supposedly the primary reason for transferring. If they're right, I hope Mr. White fully embraces the whole "one last chance at the big dance" mentality otherwise I see some potential trouble ahead.

Is that the "primary reason for transferring" though? Or was it the desire to be part of a team that can make a deep run?

White's two years at Kansas were in 12-13 and 13-14. Kansas didn't get out of the sweet 16 in 2013. In 2014, they lost in the second round.

He didn't make the NCAA tournament last year while at Nebraska.

OBVIOUSLY, this kid desires to play in the NBA / play for pay, but I'm willing to bet that this wasn't the only factor motivating him to look for a new place to play his final season of collegiate eligibility.

If they can find kids at the mid-majors, they can find them at Nebraska. With the B1G network factored in, they probably had more national broadcasts than we did last year.
Oh they know about him. As you state, it's not like NBA scouts let B1G shooters fly under the radar. However, how a player projects has something to do with how he looks on a given team ... within that team's offense and with that team's distributors and surrounding cast. How he projects with a starting/greater roll on an elite - level team will be horse of a different color.

And don't forget that exposure in the NCAA tournament is a big deal for scouts. How college players perform under the lights and pressure of big tournament games can make a huge difference ... as we know from Malachi Richardson. White didn't have that kind of exposure or opportunity at Nebraska .. he very likely will at SU this season with the talent we have coming in .

Is that the "primary reason for transferring" though? Or was it the desire to be part of a team that can make a deep run?

White's two years at Kansas were in 12-13 and 13-14. Kansas didn't get out of the sweet 16 in 2013. In 2014, they lost in the second round.

He didn't make the NCAA tournament last year while at Nebraska.

OBVIOUSLY, this kid desires to play in the NBA / play for pay, but I'm willing to bet that this wasn't the only factor motivating him to look for a new place to play his final season of collegiate eligibility.

That's what he's said publicly. Privately he might feel different. I don't know. All the early press after his transfer broke talked about his desire to play in the NBA. He'd just pulled his name out of the draft a few weeks earlier. Maybe you don't talk about transferring to a winning program because it's insulting to the program you're abandoning? We'll see, I guess, what his motivations are.

If they can find kids at the mid-majors, they can find them at Nebraska. With the B1G network factored in, they probably had more national broadcasts than we did last year.

While I agree with this, you also can't ignore the fact that Mali would not have been drafted this year if we didn't get to the Elite 8. He was on nobody's draft radar even though he showed excellent skills and size all year in the ACC and at the Altlantis tournament. Of course there is more to it than what he did in that 8 minutes in an Elite 8 game, but that 8 minutes was certainly more important than any other thing he had ever done on a basketball court in his life. If he was at Nebraska (or any of about 335 other D1 schools), he wouldn't even have had a game that day.

And don't forget that exposure in the NCAA tournament is a big deal for scouts. How college players perform under the lights and pressure of big tournament games can make a huge difference ... as we know from Malachi Richardson. White didn't have that kind of exposure or opportunity at Nebraska .. he very likely will at SU this season with the talent we have coming in .

Let's not get carried away. If that were the case, someone would have drafted Gerry. The tournament gave Richardson the confidence to leave but he was a first rounder anyway. If the press accounts are to be trusted, it was the workouts and combine performance that put him over the top.

That's what he's said publicly. Privately he might feel different. I don't know. All the early press after his transfer broke talked about his desire to play in the NBA. He'd just pulled his name out of the draft a few weeks earlier. Maybe you don't talk about transferring to a winning program because it's insulting to the program you're abandoning? We'll see, I guess, what his motivations are.

We all know that White tossed his hat into the NBA draft in order to pursue his dream of playing professionally. His production at Nebraska was solid, [17 ppg, 6 rpg, 41% from three, 60% TSP], he produced playing against B1G caliber competition, and he has the right size / athletic profile to be a legit NBA prospect. Despite that, his evaluation came back as indicating he would most likely go undrafted -- so not even a second round pick.

Given that, the way I see it, White has a couple of prospective paths to pursue his NBA goals:
  • Go somewhere where he'd be THE MAN, and the focal point of the offense. Team that fits this option best: Nebraska
  • Transfer down a level, seek to average ~25ppg in hopes that being this prolific garners additional attention: Best options: Richmond / VCU
  • Become an important cog in a great team poised to make a deep run, and garner the additional attention / publicity that ensures: Best option: Syracuse
Maybe there's another option out there that I don't see, if anybody wants to nitpick that list. I'm guessing that Miami and MSU were considered as options for bullet #3 above, but were found to be less desirable because the path to minutes / PT was less clear, and because his role on those teams might not be as a featured option. At SU, he's stepping into bountiful opportunity for PT and shots, given that we have a lot of perimeter productivity to make up for, we lack a natural 3 on this roster as currently constituted, and White is an experienced guy to plug-and-play prospect.

I'm sure that he was looking to play full time 2, but probably didn't get the answer he was looking for from Miami [who have lots of young, exciting players at the 2 / 3], or MSU [which reportedly wanted him in a hybrid 3/4 role], or here [Battle would be the likely 2, White would play mostly 3]. On that latter point, I have no doubt that a significant reason for him checking out MSU and Miami despite his generally good visit here was due to his camp not getting perfect answers to what they were seeking in terms of him playing guard here. But that after considering other alternatives, on most other dimensions we proved out to be the "best" option in terms of PT, shots, his role, and the team being poised to make a deep run if he comes here -- moreso than either Miami or MSU.

Last edited:
Chill dudes...:)
download.jpg

Let's not get carried away. If that were the case, someone would have drafted Gerry. The tournament gave Richardson the confidence to leave but he was a first rounder anyway. If the press accounts are to be trusted, it was the workouts and combine performance that put him over the top.
Not getting carried away. Exposure, even if he plays/projects well, may not be enough. He has to have the talent to play in the league, for sure. But if there are doubts about him, it'll help his cause to been seen playing well on an elite-level team that is successful, show-cases his shooting ability and perhaps shows a part of his game that wasn't on display in Nebraska. Remember we don't know what he'll look like on a (much more talented) SU team. He might be even better than he was on Nebraska with a better surrounding cast.

Pace was a 6-3 guy who actually was guard sized, and developed into a pretty good passer / handler over the course of his career. He couldn't shoot besides that turnaround one handed shot from 10 feet, but that doesn't automatically make him a 3. He was guard sized to begin with, and it was bad for the team that he had to play extended time on the back line of the zone--again, because the team lacked alternatives [you probably recall that many people were clamoring for JB to give Nichols some developmental minutes to shore up that team deficiency, but he wasn't ready and then got injured].

Pace was 6-5, not 6-3. He started out as a forward and never really had shooting range outside of 5 feet with that little running hook shot of his.

Pace was 6-5, not 6-3. He started out as a forward and never really had shooting range outside of 5 feet with that little running hook shot of his.
If Josh Pace was 6'5'', I'd hate to imagine how tall Jerami Grant is!

Agreed--it sure is looking that way.

The right people "know," reading between the lines--it just hasn't been announced.

Which would have saved the board weeks of consternation, anxiety, and hand wringing [I can only speak for myself, but I've been checking the forum dozens of times per day for the past several weeks, hoping for an official AWIII update].

Does anyone know if they are setting up an extra folding chair for tomorrow's team meeting?

Does anyone know if they are setting up an extra folding chair for tomorrow's team meeting?
We'll have to start calling him Elijah.

Pace absolutely was no taller than 6-3. Mason even corroborated that above in an earlier post, from having played hoops against him.

Pace was guard sized, without guard shooting capabilities. He only played 3 out of necessity. 6-3 Josh Pace was 6-5 in the same way that 6-1 Stevie Thompson was 6-4.

Last edited:
speaking of Rothstein (aka the Whites' mouthpiece), an imminent tweet or update of some kind would seem likely...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom