Andrew White | Syracusefan.com

Andrew White

STEVEHOLT

There are FIVE letters in the name BLAIN.
Well, he got completely taken out of the game by Duke. They basically did ye old face guard. To his credit, White did not force too many shots and did indeed open up the floor for his mates...

Let's not get too down on White--he's coming off a terrific streak where he's been scoring / shooting at a torrid pace. Kid just had an off game, and the defense really worked hard for a big part of it to not give him open looks.

Not his day, but the FTs he knocked down in the second half were very, very important. In fact, I think it is semi-miraculous that we won despite him having such a subpar outing--wouldn't have guessed it was possible to knock off Duke without him going all Glen Rice.

Let's not get too down on White--he's coming off a terrific streak where he's been scoring / shooting at a torrid pace. Kid just had an off game, and the defense really worked hard for a big part of it to not give him open looks.

Not his day, but the FTs he knocked down in the second half were very, very important. In fact, I think it is semi-miraculous that we won despite him having such a subpar outing--wouldn't have guessed it was possible to knock off Duke without him going all Glen Rice.

Yeah, the re-emergence of Battle offset not having a great outing from White. He was patient though - wish he could have grabbed a few more boards though.

Hopefully, this is post-flu Battle, and what we see the rest of the year.

Agreed. That is why last night was so great. If Duke crushed us, every team would have copied the strategy of taking White out of the game. Instead other players took advantage and picked up the slack. The DF/rebounding was the disappointing part. The positive was White didn't try to force anything on offense. Guys who want to be the primary scorer often don't have the ego to make that adjustment.

Agreed. That is why last night was so great. If Duke crushed us, every team would have copied the strategy of taking White out of the game. Instead other players took advantage and picked up the slack. The DF/rebounding was the disappointing part. The positive was White didn't try to force anything on offense. Guys who want to be the primary scorer often don't have the ego to make that adjustment.

Very good point about AWIII not forcing things. He only took 4 shots.

If teams focus that intently on taking out White, we have to be able to dribble drive as his man won't likely be helping off him. Battle and Gillon, even Frank as of late, have proven to be able to do that. We just have to make sure Battle stays healthy and Gillon becomes engaged early as he's a completely different player when he has some confidence.

We certainly had no issues scoring in the second half without White taking shots so that bodes well moving forward if anyone attempts that strategy.

If teams focus that intently on taking out White, we have to be able to dribble drive as his man won't likely be helping off him. Battle and Gillon, even Frank as of late, have proven to be able to do that. We just have to make sure Battle stays healthy and Gillon becomes engaged early as he's a completely different player when he has some confidence.

We certainly had no issues scoring in the second half without White taking shots so that bodes well moving forward if anyone attempts that strategy.

Still think Howard is a better lead guard option than Gillon?

Exhibit A of why I characterized your posts expressing that opinion Sunday as reactive / knee jerk.

He just got bottled up by #13, no shame in that. Can't even say White played badly, sometimes you just go up against someone who's better. It was great that he made his one open look and didn't have any stupid forces. Had one shaky turnover near midcourt that looked like it'd be costly, but it worked out. If he's going to be shut down and he doesn't make any negative plays, that can be a positive thing for us - more space for Battle and Gillon to drive.

Exhibit A of why I characterized your posts expressing that opinion Sunday as reactive / knee jerk.

When Gillon isn't playing well, yes he is. Sometimes he isn't playing well. Yesterday in the second half, he played great.

I'll say this.. I don't know.

Frank seems to be decent now and is steady. I think if he played more over Gillon against Tech, we win that game. Obviously, Gillon has that microwave ability where if he gets some confidence, he's unstoppable, and we probably don't beat Duke if Howard played more over Gillon.

I don't think it's cut and dry but given the fact Gillon has willed us to two big wins, i'll concede for the rest of the season that he should be given the bulk of the minutes at guard given his clutch capability and ability to explode at any moment.

I'll say this.. I don't know.

Frank seems to be decent now and is steady. I think if he played more over Gillon against Tech, we win that game. Obviously, Gillon has that microwave ability where if he gets some confidence, he's unstoppable, and we probably don't beat Duke if Howard played more over Gillon.

I don't think it's cut and dry but given the fact Gillon has willed us to two big wins, i'll concede for the rest of the season that he should be given the bulk of the minutes at guard given his clutch capability and ability to explode at any moment.

Wrong answer.

When Gillon isn't playing well, yes he is. Sometimes he isn't playing well. Yesterday in the second half, he played great.

If your point is that Gillon is prone to inconsistency, no argument there. The rest of your post I don't agree with. I don't think that there is a single thing that Howard does better than Gillon, in fact.

Also, there's a difference between suggesting that when Gillon isn't playing well that Howard should play more, versus that Howard is a better point guard / player.

Wrong answer.
Just because Frank isn't going to go off for 30 points in a half doesn't mean he's not a better player or better option in certain games. I don't know who is better. Obviously if Gillon plays like that, it's Gillon. You can't just discount the several games prior where he's been atrocious.

Just because Frank isn't going to go off for 30 points in a half doesn't mean he's not a better player or better option in certain games. I don't know who is better. Obviously if Gillon plays like that, it's Gillon. You can't just discount the several games prior where he's been atrocious.

I'm just going to bite my tongue. You "don't know who is better" -- smh.

Howard has no offensive skills...none. His only move is an awkward drive which he finishes maybe 20% of the time. He is a good passer but his handle is poor and he is subject to getting picked way too often. Gillon is inconsistent but he is better in every phase of the game...except height.

When White is face guarded it opens the dribble drive for Gillon. He didn't force anything. Besides the lack of rebounding, he was a major factor as a decoy. Tough to give helpside D when your back is turned.

If your point is that Gillon is prone to inconsistency, no argument there. The rest of your post I don't agree with. I don't think that there is a single thing that Howard does better than Gillon, in fact.

Also, there's a difference between suggesting that when Gillon isn't playing well that Howard should play more, versus that Howard is a better point guard / player.

Only disagreement I have is Howard's much better at finding/making the open pass to Thompson/Lydon downlow below the basket. Had a beautiful pass last night and one that Robey unfortunately couldn't power through and hold on to.

Otherwise, I agree.

Well, he got completely taken out of the game by Duke. They basically did ye old face guard. To his credit, White did not force too many shots and did indeed open up the floor for his mates...

I think its a combination of a bit of an off game for him and an excellent job face guarding by Matt Jones. If there is one player I didn't think this could happen to it's AWIII. He seems so good at creating a good shot (for him) when closely guarded, but he also has to be able to get the ball first.

I think it's no coincidence it led to great games for Gillon and Battle (and TT as I didn't see much help D when he got the ball inside).. I just wish AWIII had crashed the boards more to make up for it as he has certainly shown the ability to do that.

Yeah, the re-emergence of Battle offset not having a great outing from White. He was patient though - wish he could have grabbed a few more boards though.

Hopefully, this is post-flu Battle, and what we see the rest of the year.
I'd like to see Battle put the ball on the floor more. He has an above average (at the NCAA level) first step and we need someone to push the issue. Can't settle for jump shots as often as the team does. An off game and it's "see you next year."

When White is face guarded it opens the dribble drive for Gillon. He didn't force anything. Besides the lack of rebounding, he was a major factor as a decoy. Tough to give helpside D when your back is turned.
Nobody has mentioned how during Battles string there was a sequence where Battle and White crossed through the lane and Battle's defender was so worried about White he went with White (as did White's defender ) instead of Battle leaving Battle wide open in the corner. When Battle got the ball it looked like he couldn't believe he was so wide open he hesitated. So much so he almost allowed his defender tp get back on positon! Battle hit the 3.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom