annoying espn | Syracusefan.com

annoying espn

STEVEHOLT

There are FIVE letters in the name BLAIN.
Why do they insist on having a “college hoop scoreboard” where they then mix in women’s and men’s scores to the confusion of all instead of having separate womens and men’s scores listed? Do they have a scoreboard for the WNBA and NBA under “pro hoops scoreboard” ?

In a post overseas travel fugue state, I Just now thought we were playing UNC

Why do they insist on having a “college hoop scoreboard” where they then mix in women’s and men’s scores to the confusion of all instead of having separate womens and men’s scores listed? Do they have a scoreboard for the WNBA and NBA under “pro hoops scoreboard” ?

If you saw the 25 next to the team name it would quickly remove the men’s team from any thought it was them.

ESPN is trying their best to make women’s sports as popular as men’s sports. Having the scores mixed is the latest example (you are right it is incredibly stupid).

Even Jay Williams was doing this on Tuesday night when he was fawning over Caitlin Clark saying she was the most recognizable player in college basketball. I’m not even saying he’s necessarily wrong because there isn’t a truly recognizable men’s player right now, but Williams was so over the top.

ESPN is trying their best to make women’s sports as popular as men’s sports. Having the scores mixed is the latest example (you are right it is incredibly stupid).

Even Jay Williams was doing this on Tuesday night when he was fawning over Caitlin Clark saying she was the most recognizable player in college basketball. I’m not even saying he’s necessarily wrong because there isn’t a truly recognizable men’s player right now, but Williams was so over the top.
ESPN/Disney pushing agendas.

It’s probably cheaper to buy the rights and broadcast women’s sports. Make it more popular, get more bang for your buck when you show their games.

That’s my guess for the reasoning behind it.

I guess if 5% of the fans knowing who you are makes you the most popular.

consider this.. since no one outside SU is paying attention. Fair is only like 100 points from 10th all time as well. Say clark flamed out in rd 1 of the B10 and the Ncaa and Su won both that would be like 8 more games. if Fair picked up her pace to 25 she would only finish 50 pts behind her.

At Fairs pace if she plays 33 like last yr she would finish at 3347 the rd all time.. if she could get close to 23-24 she would be 2nd all time..

Last edited:
I guess if 5% of the fans knowing who you are makes you the most popular.

consider this.. since no one outside SU is paying attention. Fair is only like 100 points from 10th all time as well. Say clark flamed out in rd 1 of the B10 and the Ncaa and Su won both that would be like 8 more games. if Fair picked up her pace to 25 she would only finish 50 pts behind her.

At Fairs pace if she plays 33 like last yr she would finish at 3347 the rd all time.. if she could get close to 23-24 she would be 2nd all time..
Love both players games and really happy Fair came to Syracuse and back for her 5th year. Awesome player. However considering the point total numbers, Caitlyn Clark is In her 4th year while Fair is in her 5th year.

They have mixed the scores like that on their ticker at the bottom of the screen for years. I always thought that a solution to the confusion it can create was to change the colors. Highlight the winner of mens games in yellow (like they always have) and highlight the winner of womens games in pink. But then I was reminded that I’m a horrible person.

She's the most recognizable because the young men go into the NBA instead of staying in college. if the guys were in college for 3-4 years because they made millions more in college than the league, can you imagine what the college men's game would look like? Oh yea, sort of like those SU / michigan games in the late 80's.

I dont care about popularity though regarding this issue. It's simply a matter of logistics. separate out the dang scores. There's no reason not to. It's not as if the mens and women's teams play each other.

If you saw the 25 next to the team name it would quickly remove the men’s team from any thought it was them.
before the Duke game, I saw a headline on the front page of the espn.com site that said "Syracuse enters top 25" and i legit thought it was the men because it was conceivable after beating Pitt.

ESPN is junk, the only time I have it on is when SU Football/Basketball is on. If I want to see scores I look at them on my phone.
im talking about the viewing it on the phone. there's fine print below the score that tells you men or women. its really stupid.

She's the most recognizable because the young men go into the NBA instead of staying in college. if the guys were in college for 3-4 years because they made millions more in college than the league, can you imagine what the college men's game would look like? Oh yea, sort of like those SU / michigan games in the late 80's.

I dont care about popularity though regarding this issue. It's simply a matter of logistics. separate out the dang scores. There's no reason not to. It's not as if the mens and women's teams play each other.
Imagine Zion just finishing his 5th year last year. At least Uconn wouldn't have won the Natty.

im talking about the viewing it on the phone. there's fine print below the score that tells you men or women. its really stupid.
Oh, I see. I use the Scores app (theScores.com). It's a really easy and free app to get all scores

Lo and behold what just happens to make headlines mere hours after the start of the thread

I wonder what the market is. Look at SU. the men havent been very good but the women have been OK and can barely get a crowd. If you dont have a rooting interest in a team will people turn in?

Didn't know where else to put this...

So just the other day, when Sportscenter had Rece Davis on to comment about Nick Saban retiring, I noticed 2 Emmys prominently displayed in the background. I wonder if that was intentionally in response to this story! Lol

I miss the days when SportsCenter was on seemingly nonstop. Listening to opinion stuff just doesn’t do it for me. I don’t need to know how Stephen A. feels about… anything.
Yep, and now it's Sportscenter with Scott Van Pelt or whatever. Who cares? I don't care what SVP thinks about sports. I don't need to see random people that look like him. It's gotten ridiculous. I am an old fart, I want Sportcenter to show highlights and MTV to show music freaking videos. Is that too much to ask?

I miss the days when SportsCenter was on seemingly nonstop. Listening to opinion stuff just doesn’t do it for me. I don’t need to know how Stephen A. feels about… anything.
Stephen A is the worst. All of espn shows suck. It starts with Greenie and Get up. I like Greenberg, but the other cast of "experts" really annoy me. The one exception is Rex Ryan. I like this takes. Then from that show, they just recycle everyone. I used to like Ryan Clarke, but that stupid texting bit with Greenberg is so stupid. He's gotten too cocky for my liking.

The only sports show that I actually like watching is First Things First, although Nick Wright is annoying.

Amen.
This silly political correctness hinders basic communication.