d

• d

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • d

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters

HeaterCuse22

All Conference
At least hes not going to another college.

Does this mean he is going to badmouth SU to players from downstate? Is he the only person who can recruit downstate players to SU?

I guess I am out of the loop on his uber importance. Perhaps y'all can enlighten me.

Why would he bad mouth SU? Without SU he is still a community college coach and teacher and not a NFL assistant making 3 or 4 times more money.

He was a Marrone guy - he is much older than anyone left - and he took the last big paycheck he'll ever get. No brainer for him to leave - no one should be surprised.

Anselmo was a huge connection to NYC, every coach knew him and wanted to send their talent his way. Was our main recruiter for Gus, Laray, and Wayne Williams. Williams has been quoted as saying he'll be here as long as Anselmo is. Even if he was only going to be here for a year it would have helped the transition.

Anselmo was a huge connection to NYC, every coach knew him and wanted to send their talent his way. Was our main recruiter for Gus, Laray, and Wayne Williams. Williams has been quoted as saying he'll be here as long as Anselmo is. Even if he was only going to be here for a year it would have helped the transition.
Williams was also quoted as saying he committed to Syracuse University not to a coach.

Besides, all the JUCOs are locked-in since they've already signed their LOI.

No argument with anything you say here but keeping him here was not going to happen for the reasons I suggested - especially the money and going out as a NFL coach. No way he could have ever imagined going out like that.

this would imply when he retired this year or next those same coaches would be done sending kids here. i thought rebuilding the bridges was to keep SU in the loop long term and I would have SS has been down there enough that coaches would send kids to play for him especially with how the NYC kids have turned out so far.

SU will get someone solid to recruit NYC and the area.

Most important factor there now is the success of the kids already here. It is obvious the NYC kids look to other NYC kids for at least some input. The more these kids do well at SU and pump it up as NYC's college, the better the recruiting will get no matter who the assistant is running it. Perhaps this is where Moore steps up as a LI guy and former Jet.

"The Godfather" gave us instant credibility in the city. Sad to see him go. If nothing else, he had the best nickname, by far, on the old staff.

"The Godfather" gave us instant credibility in the city. Sad to see him go. If nothing else, he had the best nickname, by far, on the old staff.
Maybe it is time to go to JB and see if he still has Rob Johnson's number on file. He had some solid NYC connections.

Maybe it is time to go to JB and see if he still has Rob Johnson's number on file. He had some solid NYC connections.

Johnson brings back fond memories of Conrad "McNasty" McRae. Now there was another nickname you could hang your hat on...

Maybe I am being naive, but Anselmo seems like the one guy would will not bail on the program without having a succession plan in place for the next guy. He is a veteran who understands how important relationships and reputations are to success. He probably feels at least some gratitude to SU for getting him where he is now. It may not be the same thing as having him in those HS offices, but I bet that he'll go out of his way to make sure his contacts get some sort of message before he is totally gone and that he does whatever he can within the rules to introduce the next guy to the key guys. He might have been doing this over the past week since he stuck around longer than the others.

Of course this could all be a pipe dream and he checked out weeks ago!! ;-)

No argument with anything you say here but keeping him here was not going to happen for the reasons I suggested - especially the money and going out as a NFL coach. No way he could have ever imagined going out like that.

You've used that reasoning for every coach that has left like it's no big deal. Some guys do stay in college. In the end, we will have lost 80% of the staff plus a GA. Any one coach can be explained away, but it is the cumulative effect that is worrisome, as well as the why. Hopefully SS can keep this thing rolling right out of the gate next year.

this would imply when he retired this year or next those same coaches would be done sending kids here. i thought rebuilding the bridges was to keep SU in the loop long term and I would have SS has been down there enough that coaches would send kids to play for him especially with how the NYC kids have turned out so far.
Yes, hopefully The Godfather facilitated some connections for The Shafe and the remaining staff. The hope was that he'd stay on a bit longer to get the new hires tied into the area as well. Assuming Shafe will now be more of a closer, it is the lower staff that need to get/maintain contacts in the area. Agree that Rob Moore should be key down that way -he better have learned from the NJ debacle.

You've used that reasoning for every coach that has left like it's no big deal. Some guys do stay in college. In the end, we will have lost 80% of the staff plus a GA. Any one coach can be explained away, but it is the cumulative effect that is worrisome, as well as the why. Hopefully SS can keep this thing rolling right out of the gate next year.
Bees, I agree but I'm curious what your reasoning is.

Is it worrisome because of the way DM pillaged the staff ? or

Do you have any idea how SS got along with the defectors? Just curious.

Yes - some guys do stay in college. But not 63 year old assistants about to triple their salary for a multi-year contract especially given his relationship with DM.

I never said that they were not big deals - but you deal with it and get the best new guys that you can. I happen to think SS has gotten better assistants than DM did - especially when you consider DM's early misses.

And I bet that a couple of the new guys will be gone sooner than later if they perform well as many expect - nature of the game and where SU fits.

Let's see how many guys stay at Oregon.

Bees, I agree but I'm curious what your reasoning is.

Is it worrisome because of the way DM pillaged the staff ? or

Do you have any idea how SS got along with the defectors? Just curious.

Not that at all. Just worried that we will be having such a huge staff turnover. The cumulative effect of so many vs the effect of a single coach leaving.

SU will get someone solid to recruit NYC and the area.

Most important factor there now is the success of the kids already here. It is obvious the NYC kids look to other NYC kids for at least some input. The more these kids do well at SU and pump it up as NYC's college, the better the recruiting will get no matter who the assistant is running it. Perhaps this is where Moore steps up as a LI guy and former Jet.

We absolutely have to continue the NYC pipeline, as well as continue to build on it. That is a must. I sincerely hope HCSS recognizes this. I think he does. And if he does not, I'm guessing TGD has mentioned it.

At this point, I don't think Marrone is an SU hating . I think he's desperate. Desperate people do desperate things, and that didn't bode well for our staff continuity. Doesn't bode well for Bills success either. What possible contribution will Anselmo have to the Bills success?

If we’re going to lose Anselmo then losing him to the Bills is the best scenario. I was worried about two things; Anselmo being let go and Anselmo being let go and working for the competition. Him going to the Bills means no bridges were burned (hopefully). This should still leave Syracuse in a good light with NYC coaches and players.

It’s good that Shafer is going to the NYC dinner. He’ll rub shoulders and meet and greet.

Again though, might as well only worry about what you can control. You have to look at this as an opportunity to get better. I don’t think you need to hire a City guy, but this is yet another opportunity to hire a TRI-STATE recruiter.

Yes - some guys do stay in college. But not 63 year old assistants about to triple their salary for a multi-year contract especially given his relationship with DM.

I never said that they were not big deals - but you deal with it and get the best new guys that you can. I happen to think SS has gotten better assistants than DM did - especially when you consider DM's early misses.

And I bet that a couple of the new guys will be gone sooner than later if they perform well as many expect - nature of the game and where SU fits.

Let's see how many guys stay at Oregon.

First, I doubt he will triple his salary unless he is going to become one of the highest paid assistants in the NFL. The point is, losing what sounds to be 6 0f 9 assistants and the HC is a lot. Oregon and SU are not comparable because they are not the same situation. Kelly and Marrone are 2 different situations as to their relation with the schools and programs. Not close. And even so, I bet 6 assts don't go with him.

At this point, I don't think Marrone is an SU hating . I think he's desperate. Desperate people do desperate things, and that didn't bode well for our staff continuity. Doesn't bode well for Bills success either. What possible contribution will Anselmo have to the Bills success?

I believe one of 2 things is fact. Either Marrone is having a really tough time getting assts and some of these SU guys are 3rd, 4th, 5th choices. Or Marrone is a .