Any DC hotel recommendations | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Any DC hotel recommendations

Thanks, sounds weird, but was concerned because the cost was so much lower then other hotels in the area. We were hoping to stay near other SU or even Miami/Marquette/Indiana fans. Stayed at the Oklahoma team hotel in Albany. Was one of the best times we have had at an NCAA event. Their band and cheerleaders performed in the lobby before the team loaded the bus before each game and during the off day for a pep rally. Hotel was decked out in Oklahoma colors/banners etc., and we were heckled & booed (good-natured) each time we walked through the lobby. I know JB is not a fan of this stuff, but it really adds to the weekend experience for the fans who come to support the team.

CTO, Maybe we will finally meet this weekend.:)
ALBANY!! Oklahoma had a decent hotel because they were the #1 seed. SU was in the worse "hotel" I have ever known... something called the Surf and Turf on Wolf Road. There was an over-chlorinated pool in the lobby... that really stank up the entire motel/hotel or whatever it was. But that was not the worst thing. On Saturday night, we all went into the bar... and they REFUSED to turn on the NCAA games from other regions... because it was KARAOKE NIGHT. You cannot make this up. We were at a team hotel ... but we could not watch games in the bar... because it was Karaoke Night.

ALBANY!! Oklahoma had a decent hotel because they were the #1 seed. SU was in the worse "hotel" I have ever known... something called the Hilton Surf and Turf on Wolf Road. There was an over-chlorinated pool in the lobby... that really stank up the entire motel/hotel or whatever it was. But that was not the worst thing. On Saturday night, we all went into the bar... and they REFUSED to turn on the NCAA games from other regions... because it was KARAOKE NIGHT. You cannot make this up. We were at a team hotel ... but we could not watch games in the bar... because it was Karaoke Night.

I remember. My wife and I stopped over to see friends and were happy to have been unable to get into the Syracuse team hotel. Ended up going back to our hotel (The Desmond) and watched the games in the lounge with Oklahoma fans and players. Real good time and something I will remember forever. After the games were over, I was on the hotels computers and Hollis Price sat down to use the computer next to me. We talked for about 20 minutes while "surfing the internet". Beat them to a pulp the next day:).

I remember. My wife and I stopped over to see friends and were happy to have been unable to get into the Syracuse team hotel. Ended up going back to our hotel (The Desmond) and watched the games in the lounge with Oklahoma fans and players. Real good time and something I will remember forever. After the games were over, I was on the hotels computers and Hollis Price sat down to use the computer next to me. We talked for about 20 minutes while "surfing the internet". Beat them to a pulp the next day:).

Sweet story. I really liked that OU team. Ended up meeting and hanging out with Quanis White in Cancun spring break 05.

That is a hilarious story about karaoke night at the SU team hotel lol!

Will pay up to $250 a night. Not familiar with the area. I've been told the metro will likely shut down before the games end, so would have to taxi back to the hotel if not in walking distance. Have car, but unsure of event parking in the area. Would like to be with other fans. Any recommendations. Thanks.
Metro hours are extended till 1am on Thursday. I have yet to see an article or a posting about it, but I called the WMATA today and they confirmed (for what that's worth) 1am.

Will pay up to $250 a night. Not familiar with the area. I've been told the metro will likely shut down before the games end, so would have to taxi back to the hotel if not in walking distance. Have car, but unsure of event parking in the area. Would like to be with other fans. Any recommendations. Thanks.

What a coincidence, I have my guest room available and it just happens to be $250/night.

And there's free parking in my driveway! And a ride from the game!

If you want a better price and maybe better availability look at the hotels in Crystal City, VA. You can Metro over to Chinatown for the game.

The advantage of the Key Bridge Marriott and the other hotels in Rosslyn is you can walk across the Key Bridge Marriott to M Street in Georgetown for bars and restaurants. You can Metro from Rosslyn to the Verizon Center.

In Friendship Heights, there's a Embassy Suites (I think) at Wisconsin and Western Ave across from the Nieman-Marcus in Mazza Gallerie. There's a Metro there.

Metro hours are extended till 1am on Thursday. I have yet to see an article or a posting about it, but I called the WMATA today and they confirmed (for what that's worth) 1am.

Hah, yep, I just called too. And it looks like they stayed open late the last couple times the tourney was in D.C.

This is good, it'll save me $15 on parking

Any locals know anything about the courtyard Marriott in Arlington/Roslyn?... How far am I and what is the best way to get the Verizon center? Any places to drink after the game around there?

Any locals know anything about the courtyard Marriott in Arlington/Roslyn?... How far am I and what is the best way to get the Verizon center? Any places to drink after the game around there?
I've never been to the hotel, but I know the neighborhood. You'd be just a block or so from the Rosslyn metro station. From there, you're just four stops from Metro Center, which is a four block walk to Verizon Center. In all you're looking at only about 20 minutes door to door. As for local watering holes, there are plenty of dining options nearby on Wilson Blvd. There's a good bar called Rhodeside Grill that you'd probably like. Also, if you go up two more stops on the orange line to Clarendon, you'd be in the middle of a very hip area with a TON of bars and restaurants.

I've never been to the hotel, but I know the neighborhood. You'd be just a block or so from the Rosslyn metro station. From there, you're just four stops from Metro Center, which is a four block walk to Verizon Center. In all you're looking at only about 20 minutes door to door. As for local watering holes, there are plenty of dining options nearby on Wilson Blvd. There's a good bar called Rhodeside Grill that you'd probably like. Also, if you go up two more stops on the orange line to Clarendon, you'd be in the middle of a very hip area with a TON of bars and restaurants.

There is also a Marriot by Courthouse, very new. Right on top of the Orange Line. Plenty of food and drink options there as well, and a 5 minute walk to Clarendon.

Thanks a lot!... Do u guys know if there will be any places open after the game? I remember reading that many places would be closed due to it being Thursday...

If you want a better price and maybe better availability look at the hotels in Crystal City, VA. You can Metro over to Chinatown for the game.

The advantage of the Key Bridge Marriott and the other hotels in Rosslyn is you can walk across the Key Bridge Marriott to M Street in Georgetown for bars and restaurants. You can Metro from Rosslyn to the Verizon Center.

In Friendship Heights, there's a Embassy Suites (I think) at Wisconsin and Western Ave across from the Nieman-Marcus in Mazza Gallerie. There's a Metro there.

Give yourself extra time if you metro from Rosslyn. You have to go down the world's largest escalator. The actual train tracks are halfway to China.

Give yourself extra time if you metro from Rosslyn. You have to go down the world's largest escalator. The actual train tracks are halfway to China.

And hope it isn't broken, in which case it becomes the world's largest staircase.

And hope it isn't broken, in which case it becomes the world's largest staircase.

That happened to me once. I just took the metro back to Courthouse and then took a cab. There's no limit to my laziness.

I'm staying at the Fairfield Inn a few blocks from the arena - had just enough hotel points accumulated to book a room yesterday.

I've had the joy of having to climb that one, when it was broken. I hired a Sherpa as a guide.

If you are coming from CNY, and want to avoid driving in DC, one option is to stay in Shady Grove, just off I270, and take the metro in from there. I think it is the last stop on the red line. Takes about 35 minutes to get from there to the Verizon Center (which is right on the red line).

You can get a good hotel room for $80-$100, the parking is free and it is an easy escape route when it is time to leave.

If you are coming from CNY, and want to avoid driving in DC, one option is to stay in Shady Grove, just off I270, and take the metro in from there. I think it is the last stop on the red line. Takes about 35 minutes to get from there to the Verizon Center (which is right on the red line).

You can get a good hotel room for $80-$100, the parking is free and it is an easy escape route when it is time to leave.

That's actually a pretty good plan for the traffic-adverse, who want to save some bucks and who don't care at all about being able to walk around DC by going out of their hotel. There's an exit off of I-270 for Shady Grove Rd.

Shady Grove is probably one of the ugliest areas the Metro Region has to offer. Lots of big box retailers, strip malls and a huge recycling center.

By the way, if you are driving to DC from points North, many GPS's want you to take Rte 83 South from Harrisburg to the Baltimore Beltway and from there down to I-95 to the DC Beltway. I gotta believe that is the long way and it puts you into two traffic situations you want to avaid. The first is the Baltimore Beltway and the second is the DC Beltway at the intersection of I95.

That IMHO is NOT the way to do it. Instead take Rt15 South from Harrisburg and I-270 at Frederick into the District.

The routing around Harrisburg is a little tricky.

I'd set my GPS for Frederick, MD and then update the destination once I got onto Rt 15 south of Harrisburg.

By the way, if you are driving to DC from points North, many GPS's want you to take Rte 83 South from Harrisburg to the Baltimore Beltway and from there down to I-95 to the DC Beltway. I gotta believe that is the long way and it puts you into two traffic situations you want to avaid. The first is the Baltimore Beltway and the second is the DC Beltway at the intersection of I95.

That IMHO is NOT the way to do it. Instead take Rt15 South from Harrisburg and I-270 at Frederick into the District.

The routing around Harrisburg is a little tricky.

I'd set my GPS for Frederick, MD and then update the destination once I got onto Rt 15 south of Harrisburg.
I agree.

Took I81, I83, Route 15, I270 for the final BE regular season game against the Hoyas a couple of weeks ago and yes, that is good way to avoid much of the traffic on the way down. Route 15 has a few traffic lights and slower speed limits in places but most of the way it is fine.

So we are going with the Key Bridge Marriott. Stayed there a few years ago for a Georgetown game. It was the team hotel at that time and fairly nice. Located across the street from Georgetown University. Will walk over and have lunch/dinner at the Tombs wearing our Syracuse gear and our new Florida Gulf Coast Shirts. If anyone else is looking, $125 a night, with $20 parking. Close to metro. Give a shout if staying here, can talk college hoops over a few drinks. Go SU!!!!

That's a popular hotel with a number of teams, football and basketball. I've stayed there several times; it's definitely one of the nicer Marriotts. That's a great price (I think their rack rates are more than three times that).

Plan on celebrating our win up at Martin's and irritating some Hoyas in the process; maybe we'll see you around the neighborhood.

I'm staying at the Fairfield Inn a few blocks from the arena - had just enough hotel points accumulated to book a room yesterday.

I stayed there for the G'Town debacle a couple weeks back. It works. Had some major issues with valet parking, but I'm going to assume that's because I showed up at 9 am on Saturday.

I'll be driving home this time. I have a dry out period from 7:15 to approx 11:45, assuming they still don't sell beer at NCAA Tourney events.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom