Anyone else starting to sour on college sports (particularly basketball)? | Syracusefan.com

Anyone else starting to sour on college sports (particularly basketball)?

Lawrinson14

Master Image Editor
I am seriously at my breaking point, and quite frankly, do not see myself following college sports much longer. Here are just a few of the things that have made me adverse to the sports I once loved:

-Conference realignment and the ruination of traditional rivalries
-Mercenary players who are gone in the blink of an eye (NBA at fault here too)
-Absolutely horrific and inconsistent officiating
-Complete refusal to reduce the shot clock
-3rd and 4th grade recreation-level scores
-The talk of paying players (and now the news that college athletes can form unions)

-uconn is in the sweet 16 in nyc
-uk and their 40-0 shirts are in the sweet 16
-the entire nation doubted us for 6 weeks... and they were all right.

I support Tyler's decision. Grant is another story. If you're a guaranteed Lottery Pick, you go. If not, you stay.

That being said..
-CBB needs a 2 year rule.
-CBB also needs to figure out how to call a game let alone a full season consistently.
-Clutch and Grab is apparently something referees just cannot stop in college.
-The tournament is a gimmicky way of deciding a champion.

Yea, i'd say im starting to sour on CBB as well, however i'll still be going nuts next time Cuse takes the court.

It hasn't been fun as of late. At all. Early in the season though I was having a great time and enjoying college basketball as much as I ever have. College basketball isn't in great shape but college football is a top product. I just hope Syracuse continues to improve and makes some appearances in the top 25.

I am seriously at my breaking point, and quite frankly, do not see myself following college sports much longer. Here are just a few of the things that have made me adverse to the sports I once loved:

-The talk of paying players (and now the news that college athletes can form unions)

No offense, but didn't you make a similar post a few weeks ago that you were done with college basketball?

I understand your frustration, but when you love it, you love it. Take the summer off. Come back in November with a renewed excitement!

There's something wrong with the game when a player can be good enough to leave after one season but not good enough to get his team out of the subregional.

I'm still angry about this a hole.

7.jpg

It hasn't been fun as of late. At all. Early in the season though I was having a great time and enjoying college basketball as much as I ever have. College basketball isn't in great shape but college football is a top product. I just hope Syracuse continues to improve and makes some appearances in the top 25.

who would have guessed that we would be hoping to make some appearances in the top 25?

i thought we were on the verge of being a really elite team. year in and year out reloading.

as of now, right now....yeah. but later tonight, probably not

There's something wrong with the game when a player can be good enough to leave after one season but not good enough to get his team out of the subregional.

I get what you're saying, but you also just described Kevin Durant. (Andre Drummond too, who has been pretty damn impressive as a pro. among others, I';m sure)

This is sincerely not meant to be a bash on Ennis. I understand that his projected draft status is driving the decsion to leave. I am however someone old enough to have seen guys like Pearl and Douglas play point guard at Syracuse. While Ennis had a tremendous freshman year, he is not now in the same class as those two guys when they left Syracuse. What frustrates me more then anything is why their is a market in the NBA for Ennis NOW. Why does the NBA need such a young, raw, physically underdeveloped player? Don't they have enough bigger, stronger, older more developed guys to play at that level? Why does there have to be such a hurry for the NBA to gobble these kids up so young and pay them so much money? This is not good for the NBA or college game and it makes it very tough for me to want to continue to be a fan - so tired of the constant carousel of players year in and year out. Used to be that you could live with the mistakes young players made because you knew in a year or two you would witness something special when talent met with experience / physical maturity. Today you cannot count on any player that shows any potential to be around the following year. Win today because you do not know what your team will be in a year from now.

Would this thread be posted if we were playing at MSG tomorrow night?

Yes, I have been banging this drum the whole year...even during our winning streak. Check my post history.

Yes, I have been banging this drum the whole year...even during our winning streak. Check my post history.

Fair, and my response came off snarkier than I intended. I've also been banging the drum for multiple years about some of the issues I have with the game,

I get what you're saying, but you also just described Kevin Durant. (Andre Drummond too, who has been pretty damn impressive as a pro. among others, I';m sure)

Yeah, I figured there were all kinds of counter-examples I wasn't thinking of.

Still, this is perverse. I watch a lot of basketball. No need to get into specifics and further dump on Ennis's happy day, but that kid we watched over the last 20 or so games was a decent college point guard, no more, no less.

The way the NBA casts a wide net in its search for player personnel doesn't sit well with me.

Knicks411 said:
Would this thread be posted if we were playing at MSG tomorrow night?

No because Ennis would not have announced yet which caused The OP to make these feelings known, which he has done before. Also, we'd all be talking about Stanford.

Nope. My two favorite sports are college football and college basketball, then the NFL and the World Cup.

I agree with you.
Add the historical phoniness of calling many players "student"-athletes (wink-wink).

TV money has driven most of the things we despise.
But there's no turning back.
(Although we could and should schedule G-town every year if SU really cared about doing so).

However...the potential impact of the NLRB ruling in the Northwestern case cannot be overstated.
If it stands, we're in a whole new era.
There likely will be a complete upheaval in college sports.

Players in big revenue sports (typically football and basketball) may well have to get a chunk of that TV money.
And what becomes of the other sports that are subsidized by the revenue sports?

Nope. Watch the next group of underdog players upset the big guys. Watch them link their arms in the last two minutes of the game, then watch their faces when the buzzer goes off, and they have won. That is what it is all about. Some of our best teams have not been expected to be top 25 teams. This is where our coach shines the best. And that is where the sport is the most fun.
Also the NCAA screwed up over all. The unions are the only way to break up the NCAA or get them to change their ways. I think the fact that players at Northwestern went to court to do this is a positive in a way. Those are players who are learning something at college. Not anyone can accomplish what they just did. I bet their courses are real and they are learning more than those N Carolina players did.