AP Poll drought continues... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

AP Poll drought continues...

I can't find it on the net - does anybody remember what Jake Crouthamel answered when the reporter asking what should be the minimum standard of achievement for SU football late in the Coach P era. I think he said it was a winning record, ranked in the Top 25, go to a bowl game, etc. And then the reporter checked it and we hadn't reached those standards is a quite a while and now we haven't done it since, either.

Last edited:
I can't find it on the net - does anybody remember what Jake Crouthamel answered when the reporter asking what should be the minimum standard of achievement for SU football late in the Coach P era. I think he said it was a winning record, ranked in the Top 25, go to a bowl game, tec. And then the reporter checked it and we hadn't reached those standards is a quite a while and now we haven't done it since, either.

I think you have it right, and I believe Jake said that after the 2003 season. At that point we had only finished the year ranked once in the prior 5 years.

The 14 year drought is bad enough, but if you go back to the end of the McNabb era we've only finished a season ranked in the top 25 ONE time in the past SEVENTEEN years. This season will make it 18, obviously.

Unless you have a Delorean and some spare plutonium laying around there's no going back and changing any of that now. But it really is why people need to understand why SU gets zero respect nationally. We've been thoroughly irrelevant for a very long time. I mean most anyone under the age of 30 has no recollection of us ever being a nationally competitive program.

When the players who last made you relevant, have already retired from the NFL, then yeah, it's a collective who are you again?

But we'll always have the last 4 games of 2012! We were almost in the Others Receiving Votes! Almost!

How You Remind Me by Nickelback was the top song on the charts the last time we were ranked.

But we'll always have the last 4 games of 2012! We were almost in the Others Receiving Votes! Almost!

cTfu7YUJ.jpeg

Awesome goal to aim for, errr something.

I just want to start receiving votes again. Marrone had us up to 27th or 28th in 2010.

I can't find it on the net - does anybody remember what Jake Crouthamel answered when the reporter asking what should be the minimum standard of achievement for SU football late in the Coach P era. I think he said it was a winning record, ranked in the Top 25, go to a bowl game, etc. And then the reporter checked it and we hadn't reached those standards is a quite a while and now we haven't done it since, either.

I'm fuzzy on the details but I do remember that...my guess...winning record, bowl game every year, top 25 ranking like every other year avg, and big east championship every 3 years?

We were 26th in 2011 after curb stomped WVU on a Friday night to go to 5-2. We lost the last 5 games of that season. We were close to being ranked after we beat WVU. We were projected to go to the BCS after that win.

I forgot about that. We looked horrible the first 6 games too. What a painful season that turned out to be