Are the Spurs the best franchise in pro sports? | Syracusefan.com

Are the Spurs the best franchise in pro sports?

Eric15

Living Legend
Since 1990, the Spurs have had one losing season, in 1996-97, but that was only because David Robinson went down with a season-ending injury the first week of the year.

Is there any franchise in all of major professional sports as well-run as the Spurs?

Montreal Canadiens..pretty impressive. Alongside maybe the Yankees (hate them) .

Montreal Canadiens..pretty impressive. Alongside maybe the Yankees (hate them) .
The Yankees are aways good, but there is no salary cap in MLB. NYY payroll this year is 229 million and Houston Astros is 24 million!

The Yankees are aways good, but there is no salary cap in MLB. NYY payroll this year is 229 million and Houston Astros is 24 million!
Well alright. . . Montreal Canadiens? Detroit Red Wings? Those are the other 2 that come to mind...

Maybe the LA Lakers?

Well alright. . . Montreal Canadiens? Detroit Red Wings? Those are the other 2 that come to mind...

Maybe the LA Lakers?

I know the Canadiens have a gloried history, but they haven't won a Cup in 20 years. I was talking more current.

I agree about the Red Wings, and also think that the Patriots and St. Louis Cardinals are in the conversation.

Maybe the LA Lakers?
Historically you are dead on.

The Lakers.
Going by eao's criteria (right now), they are not - poorly assembled old team with the wrong leadership. Blame it on the egomaniac son of the great Dr. Buss.

Historically you are dead on.
Oh we are talking about RIGHT NOW?

NBA: Los Angeles Lakers, Spurs
MLB: Yankees, ATLANTA BRAVES (if they'd win a damn series), ... St. Louis Cardinals? Ehhh Ehhh
NFL: I honestly cannot think of one other than Baltimore has been consistently great for the past 10-15 years.
NHL: Canadiens, Senators, Devils (with exception to this year), Red wings.

NCAAB: UNC, UK, Duke, Kansas. (I'd love to put SU, and 2008/2013 NCAA Championship trophies would help that). Uconn would be on this list too if not for the last 2 years.

NCAAF: OSU and LSU.

Atlanta Braves would be my mystery card.

Since 1990, the Spurs have had one losing season, in 1996-97, but that was only because David Robinson went down with a season-ending injury the first week of the year.

Is there any franchise in all of major professional sports as well-run as the Spurs?

They are the best run small-market NBA team, easily.

But let's not kid ourselves, they hit the lottery (figuratively and literally) with Duncan and the type of player/person he is.

I am down with St. Louis in spite of my previous salary cap disclaimer... They keep and cut the right guys.

Braves are also well run. Glad they won their one or they would be my Bills.

Yes...maybe. But if Duncan doesn't agree to play for less than half of what other franchise players are getting, they go nowhere. Great management. Better team leader. That's why Pop says he is retiring when Duncan does.

The Spurs definitely have the best management of any other professional organization. It is hard to tell if the coaching of Pop is what has led the team or the play of Duncan, Ginobli and Parker that has led the team. The funny thing is for the last 13 years they have kept the core the same and have been able to rotate role players around them. If it wasn't for a few injuries, lucky shots (Fisher) and a few bad calls they could have had 2-3 more championships.

Spurs in 6 in the finals. GO SPURS!!!!

As a Celtics fan it pains me to say this, but it's the Lakers. They've missed the playoffs 5 times - in the history of the franchise; twice in the past 37 seasons. They're #2 on the list of championships (& could be #1 by a comfortable margin if not for Bill Russell & Co.). They've had some memorable teams throughout the years (e.g., the Showtime Lakers) & have had at least 5 players (Wilt, Kareem, Magic, Shaq, Kobe) who would be in the conversation when constructing a Top 10 of All Time list. Their location ensures that competent management (i.e., not Donald Sterling) can continue this winning tradition until California falls into the ocean.

Tony Parker was 15-21 from the field yesterday. I just don't think this guy gets the credit he deserves as a legitimate superstar.

Tony Parker was 15-21 from the field yesterday. I just don't think this guy gets the credit he deserves as a legitimate superstar.

Van Gundy referred to him as a "HOF PG" last night, and I did a double take. Then I thought about it and I realized he probably is a hall of famer.

Wait, hang on. Tracy McGrady plays for the Spurs now.

Now I'm definitely rooting for the Spurs to win the title.

Wait, hang on. Tracy McGrady plays for the Spurs now.

Now I'm definitely rooting for the Spurs to win the title.

Haha yeah, they picked him up right at the end of the regular season I believe. He's played very sparingly. I keep hoping he somehow gets forced into game 7 of the finals and hits the game winning shot lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom