Are there ways to watch SU games online? | Syracusefan.com

Are there ways to watch SU games online?

General20

Basketball Maven
I'm thinking about getting rid of my cable. I almost never watch TV and it feels like a waste of money. At this point watching SU games is pretty much the only reason I have cable. So my question is, are there ways to watch SU basketball games if you don't have cable?

Just not sure if you will get all games covered this way, but seems that most can be viewed online nowadays.

I'm thinking about getting rid of my cable. I almost never watch TV and it feels like a waste of money. At this point watching SU games is pretty much the only reason I have cable. So my question is, are there ways to watch SU basketball games if you don't have cable?
Absolutely. Roughly 2 years ago I rid myself of the pestilence known as cable. You should be able to capture any game that is televised: a combination of Chromestick or Roku or Apple TV, plus ESPN3 through your internet provider, plus the ACC Network, and finally (when needed) Hotspot VPN (free) to block your address in the event any games are blacked out in your area...

TWC doesn't allow people who only subscribe to their internet service to get ESPN3 or WatchESPN, you must be a cable subscriber of theirs to get those. This sucks in a majorly way, if you're paying 50+, 100+ dollars a month for just internet you'd think you would be able to get those.....but no.

Sling TV ( http://sling.com ) started up earlier this year. For $20 a month you can get ESPN, ESPN2, WatchESPN, and a few non-sports channels plus they have a $5 a month sports package that'll give you ESPNU and ESPNews with a few other sports networks - this is all delivered over the internet. As of now there are some limitations to the service - basically you can only watch one live program on one device at a time - but it's worth checking out. Here's a link to an article that talks about it: http://techcrunch.com/2015/06/15/diary-of-a-cord-cutter-in-2015-part-8-hands-on-with-sling-tv/ .

Absolutely. Roughly 2 years ago I rid myself of the pestilence known as cable. You should be able to capture any game that is televised: a combination of Chromestick or Roku or Apple TV, plus ESPN3 through your internet provider, plus the ACC Network, and finally (when needed) Hotspot VPN (free) to block your address in the event any games are blacked out in your area...
ESPN3 requires a cable/satellite provider password. Otherwise you have to go through crap sites like firstrow. I also ditched mine, went with a leaf for local, roku, netflix and hulu. Getting plex for sharing movies. The only drawback is live sports.

TWC doesn't allow people who only subscribe to their internet service to get ESPN3 or WatchESPN, you must be a cable subscriber of theirs to get those. This sucks in a majorly way, if you're paying 50+, 100+ dollars a month for just internet you'd think you would be able to get those...but no.

Sling TV ( http://sling.com ) started up earlier this year. For $20 a month you can get ESPN, ESPN2, WatchESPN, and a few non-sports channels plus they have a $5 a month sports package that'll give you ESPNU and ESPNews with a few other sports networks - this is all delivered over the internet. As of now there are some limitations to the service - basically you can only watch one live program on one device at a time - but it's worth checking out. Here's a link to an article that talks about it: http://techcrunch.com/2015/06/15/diary-of-a-cord-cutter-in-2015-part-8-hands-on-with-sling-tv/ .
Problem with sling is that you can't get espn3 which negates most of the early games.

ESPN3 requires a cable/satellite provider password. Otherwise you have to go through crap sites like firstrow. I also ditched mine, went with a leaf for local, roku, netflix and hulu. Getting plex for sharing movies. The only drawback is live sports.
In my opinion the ESPN3 login issue can be ameliorated. Each ESPN account allows at least 3 separate logins - they can even be in different states, etc. As long as you know someone - family, friend, doesn't really matter - who is willing to share login coordinates you can access ESPN3. ESPN does not adhere to the "household" rule. I confirmed this with ESPN some time ago and have used this method to access consistently for roughly the past 24 months.

If you have a .edu or .mil email address you should also be able to access ESPN3 at no cost / no cable required - I believe this still holds but have not confirmed recently.

In my opinion the ESPN3 login issue can be ameliorated. Each ESPN account allows at least 3 separate logins - they can even be in different states, etc. As long as you know someone - family, friend, doesn't really matter - who is willing to share login coordinates you can access ESPN3. ESPN does not adhere to the "household" rule. I confirmed this with ESPN some time ago and have used this method to access consistently for roughly the past 24 months.

If you have a .edu or .mil email address you should also be able to access ESPN3 at no cost / no cable required - I believe this still holds but have not confirmed recently.
Thanks. I'll check it out.

You can get some of the games online:

What I don't understand is it's way overpriced and even with 300 channels there's absolutely nothing worth watching.

Be still, my heart! General, shall you be posting analyses about the basketball games as in days of yore? (Really, I wanted to go with some kind of Southern belle icon with batting eyelashes, but this will have to do.)

Problem with sling is that you can't get espn3 which negates most of the early games.

You can use your Sling username and password to access WatchESPN which I believe gives you access to ESPN3, correct me if I'm wrong.

For $20 a month you should be able to watch SU on ESPN, ESPN2, and ESPN3 with the sports package at $5 a month additionally giving you ESPNU and ESPNews.

I tested this site out and it seems pretty great.

not only does it cover things as rare as surfing, darts, table tennis, snooker and cricket (just a sample of what's avail as I type this), I was even able to get a decent feed of the Mayweather-Pacquiao fight

Last edited:
Be still, my heart! General, shall you be posting analyses about the basketball games as in days of yore? (Really, I wanted to go with some kind of Southern belle icon with batting eyelashes, but this will have to do.)

As always I'll do them whenever I have the time. Some years that's more often than others, but there will always be some.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom