Are we any good? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Are we any good?

Oh god, are you 4. Take your ball and go home. He’s never won 5 games in a row. ND is in the ACC even if you want to will them out. Point is still the same Mr. Grumpy. It’s not my fault his record is terrible and you think we could win 5 ACC games in a row. Lol
He won 6 in a row last year and 3 of those teams were better than anything we have left. Or do you want to keep moving the goal posts and say only P5?

Additionally in 2018 he won 6 out of 7, with 5 of those games being harder than anything we have left. As I said we have never had a 5 game stretch this easy.

He won 6 in a row last year and 3 of those teams were better than anything we have left. Or do you want to keep moving the goal posts and say only P5?

Additionally in 2018 he won 6 out of 7, with 5 of those games being harder than anything we have left. As I said we have never had a 5 game stretch this easy.

I said P5 to begin with. Nice try. You got caught making up facts and now you keep doubling down. Stop while you’re already behind.

I said P5 to begin with. Nice try. You got caught making up facts and now you keep doubling down. Stop while you’re already behind.

You think this is the year DB does something he's never done? Win 5 ACC games in a row. - qdawgg

As of right now, I think it's safe to say we are a completely average football team. We're not "bad" and we're not "good", we're simply average.
Hmm. IDK. Don't average teams at least show signs of life against ranked teams..?

Last edited:
Sadly we would probably be barely Top 40 in the computer rankings and wouldn't be in the CFP Top 25. Heck even if we won our Bowl game it is possible we go 10-3 and are not in the Top 25.
If we win our next six ball games, I would give us at least a 95% chance of finishing in the Top 25. It would probably be something like 18th or 19th.

I don't care what people want to say we are as long as we start winning games again.

If we win our next six ball games, I would give us at least a 95% chance of finishing in the Top 25. It would probably be something like 18th or 19th.
It would be interesting to see where we would end up. Unfortunately we aren’t likely to ever know.

I don’t think we are on anyone’s radar right now. Even at 4-0 we weren’t.

The VA Tech and BC games do give us exposure. It is possible the Yankee game will too. The last two games feel like CW or ACCN types.

So IMO it would depend on which Bowl we get and who we play. We get a name team we likely get inside the Top 20. We get a nobody I think it we are on the Top 25 bubble.

Would be great to find out.

Colgate is a 3-4 FCS team.

Western Michigan is a 2-6 MAC team.

Purdue is a 2-5 Big Ten team.

Army is 2-5 and just lost to LSU 0-62.

Clemson is 4-3

North Carolina just lost to Virginia, a team that had one in the last year - over and FCS team.

Florida State was behind much of the game to Duke.

Where is the evidence that we've ever been any good this season? I thought we were through the Clemson game, (where we competed well but lost due to turnovers). I hope we are now. I'm looking for something to be impressed with and it's hard. The schedule may be "coming back to us", but these last five opponents are going to be better than those first four.
That is a question that is very suggestive. We are better than we were before our Dino came. We are musch worse than we were under Coach mac or Ben, even Doug marone., Better than were were under Frank Maloney, etc

Based on how close the games were against bad Purdue and Army teams along with no-show performances in the last 2 games, I would say Cuse is just as bad/mediocre as the rest of the teams on the schedule. Won't be surprised if they lose 2 of the remaining 5, which I think would be a disappointment of a season. Yes, bowl eligible.. yes, good enough to keep Dino around for now.. but a disappointment.

This is a team with a senior QB and good experience up and down the roster, if we can't do better than 7-5 with those factors coupled with a soft ACC it doesn't reflect kindly on Dino. I can tell you that it's unlikely to get better next year. We have a Charmin soft schedule, but will lose a fair amount on defense and have to start a new QB who is likely unknown at this point.

Last edited:
I think we can go 5-0 --- Will we? No not a chance
I think we can go 0-5 --- Will we? Probably not but based on Dino's record in the ACC and the recent second-half collapses and his road record I would think this is a stronger possibility than going 5-0. (Neither will happen)

You think this is the year DB does something he's never done? Win 5 ACC games in a row. - qdawgg

Then you start talking about how he’s won 5 games out of 6 which correct me if I’m wrong, isn’t 5 in a row. YOUR original premise, we could win 5 ACC games in a row. Which again, because you seem to have trouble following along. HE HAS NEVER DONE BEFORE. So you throw out a year claiming he did it hoping nobody will notice.

So let’s backtrack to my original statement. You think he’s going to do something the next 5 games he’s never accomplished while he’s been here. Okey dokey.

Have a great day, can’t be anymore straight forward. Done with replying to you, it’s like talking to a couple other posters that just invent facts then try to change the facts being discussed.

Then you start talking about how he’s won 5 games out of 6 which correct me if I’m wrong, isn’t 5 in a row. YOUR original premise, we could win 5 ACC games in a row. Which again, because you seem to have trouble following along. HE HAS NEVER DONE BEFORE. So you throw out a year claiming he did it hoping nobody will notice.

So let’s backtrack to my original statement. You think he’s going to do something the next 5 games he’s never accomplished while he’s been here. Okey dokey.

Have a great day, can’t be anymore straight forward. Done with replying to you, it’s like talking to a couple other posters that just invent facts then try to change the facts being discussed.
Saying Notre Dame is an ACC game is inventing facts. That is news to Notre Dame, the ACC, ESPN, and NBC. Also why do we play 9 “ACC” games when we play Notre Dame?

I have stayed on point. I am starting to worry you need help. You haven’t shown one invented fact from me and you continue to deny a direct quote from you.

I don’t think we will win all 5 but I do think going 5-0 is more likely than going 1-4.

What is/was more difficult beating 2022 Louisville, at UConn, Purdue, UVA, NC State or 2023 at VA Tech, BC, vs Pitt, at GA Tech, Wake?

Again I do not think it will happen. But it certainly is not an impossible task. And IMO we pulled off a harder 5 game run just last year.

It is improbable but at the same time far from impossible.

Colgate is a 3-4 FCS team.

Western Michigan is a 2-6 MAC team.

Purdue is a 2-5 Big Ten team.

Army is 2-5 and just lost to LSU 0-62.

Clemson is 4-3

North Carolina just lost to Virginia, a team that had one in the last year - over and FCS team.

Florida State was behind much of the game to Duke.

Where is the evidence that we've ever been any good this season? I thought we were through the Clemson game, (where we competed well but lost due to turnovers). I hope we are now. I'm looking for something to be impressed with and it's hard. The schedule may be "coming back to us", but these last five opponents are going to be better than those first four.
Apparently the evidence was nothing more than 4 wins over tomato cans. We are not a good team, but on the plus side, either is anyone else we play.
I think we get 2 more wins with every game being evenly matched against equally not that good teams.
What can't happen, is a blowout loss to any of these teams

I think we have the talent to be a good team. I question our mental makeup

We have talent in certain areas... But lack it other areas... Hard to be a complete team with glaring deficiencies.

We have talent in certain areas... But lack it other areas... Hard to be a complete team with glaring deficiencies.
If we didn’t have any deficiencies wouldn’t that vault us into being a great team?

San Diego has a solid food scene for everyday people.

There are better cities for high end food. But for stuff like burgers/burritos/chicken sandwiches/etc. San Diego is crawling with great stuff.
Ten years ago I would have agreed with you but now the high end restaurants are excellent. Especially the French cuisine.

Based on the manner of the 4-0 non conference start we can say we’re “good” or at least improved/better but certainly not “very good”.

Too often in the recent past, we barely get by those teams you list above, or even lose one or two. Take away some bad calls and we’re in a couple of those other games where and without them I think we could’ve won the one (Clemson). The other two we are losing regardless, but had those calls not happened I think the momentum taken from beating Clemson and carried over would’ve made those other games at least closer.

A “very good” team overcomes all that, so clearly, we are just borderline good.

So this could have been, and can still be a "good" team with certainty going forward, but the crazy thing about Momentum and sport is the negative momentum from this three-game slide and all that was associated with it, may end up characterizing the whole season sadly as now bad with continued ineptitude, with that continuing on going forward.

We are going to find out just how good the leadership is on this team, both at the very top and within the team itself. Crap out against VT…….then that continues to carry on where we will find ourselves saying about this team, they could’ve been "good", maybe even "very good" at least on paper, but they missed the opportunity.

Come out and end up with seven or eight wins then we know we can definitively call them good. Pull out nine wins? Well then they’ve become “very good” And then the sad thing is we will be saying this now very good team could’ve been "great".

Great post. Momentum has generally been a negative thing under Babers, almost every year. These next couple games are for his future, and to avoid another reboot of the program.

At least whoever the next coach is will step into much better circumstances. But unless we come out after a bye week and kick some tail out there against a very beatable opponent, I do not foresee a happy ending, despite 5 winnable games left on the schedule.

In my humble opinion, Thursdays game may be the biggest of Dino’s career.

If they lose, it’s highly likely that the wheels come off of this season, which will ultimately lead to Dino’s dismissal.

If they win, they can save the season.

I don’t think people would be nearly as worried if we didn’t get rocked by both FSU and UNC. If we lose those three games but at least showed that we were playing a football game, this game isn’t as massive.

But unfortunately that’s not the reality.

Totally agree. You hate to put it all on just one game, because all of the next 5 are "winnable", but it starts Thursday night with a kick-ass effort against a team that is relatively down, even if it is on the road. If Babers hopes to keep his job, it starts at Virginia Tech.

I think we have the talent to be a good team. I question our mental makeup

Yeah, our team is not full of tough kids. We need some bastards on our team, especially in the trenches and at linebacker.

yeah and again lets see how the last 5 play out not just Va Tech. This game is 1 of 5 left. And yeah any outcome is still possible but there are 5 games left not 1.

We could beat Va Tech and lose the next 4 as well

While you're technically right, if we don't beat a mediocre Va Tech team after a bye week, I don't see us running the rest of the table.

Our last 3 games were over in the 2nd quarter. That stuff (quitting on a game) is catching within a team.

I’m most concerned at this point that our HC is blaming recent losses where the offense didn’t show up in part to NIL when NIL had zero impact on retaining our returning players from last year. We didn’t have any significant losses on offense to NIL.

So between that and claiming he doesn’t pay attention to point differentials….i feel like he’s in a complete state of denial right now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom