Are we any good? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Are we any good?

I’m most concerned at this point that our HC is blaming recent losses where the offense didn’t show up in part to NIL when NIL had zero impact on retaining our returning players from last year. We didn’t have any significant losses on offense to NIL.

So between that and claiming he doesn’t pay attention to point differentials….i feel like he’s in a complete state of denial right now.

Any time the coach starts in complaining in the press that "we can't compete", then the sooner the players believe it. Maybe it is time for him to go.

Hmm. IDK. Don't average teams at least show signs of life against ranked teams..?

The 2001 season has been referenced here before, where we got blown up by Miami and blown out by Tennessee, and still finished in the top 15. The answer to your question is “no, not always”.

If we don’t show signs of life tonight, then we can definitively say we aren’t even average - just bad.

I’m most concerned at this point that our HC is blaming recent losses where the offense didn’t show up in part to NIL when NIL had zero impact on retaining our returning players from last year. We didn’t have any significant losses on offense to NIL.

So between that and claiming he doesn’t pay attention to point differentials….i feel like he’s in a complete state of denial right now.

Yeah, I’d much prefer a coach who paid close attention to point differentials and said in a show “yeah we lost - but only by 3!”

This is a really poorly thought out attempt to rationalize being upset with Dino right now. I won’t deny there are viable reason to be frustrated - but “he doesn’t pay attention to point differential” isn’t even close to being one of them.

The 2001 season has been referenced here before, where we got blown up by Miami and blown out by Tennessee, and still finished in the top 15. The answer to your question is “no, not always”.

If we don’t show signs of life tonight, then we can definitively say we aren’t even average - just bad.
the 01 season is a good barometer if we find a way to run the table here. To me OG was our Freeney though. Losing him is a massive downgrade. I think we're more of an 04 type squad now. Which also had blowouts sprinkled in with some What wins (BC). Hopefully we can pull out a few to get bowl eligible.

Yeah, I’d much prefer a coach who paid close attention to point differentials and said in a show “yeah we lost - but only by 3!”

This is a really poorly thought out attempt to rationalize being upset with Dino right now. I won’t deny there are viable reason to be frustrated - but “he doesn’t pay attention to point differential” isn’t even close to being one of them.
I might actually care what you have to say if you were objective. But you’re not, so I don’t.

Last edited:
Any time the coach starts in complaining in the press that "we can't compete", then the sooner the players believe it. Maybe it is time for him to go.

His offensive gameplan in the FSU game was a signal to his players that he thought there was zero chance they could win that game, so it's no surprise we got our doors blown off. The players definitely catch onto that.

I birdied a hole once that I saw Tiger Woods make a bogey on on TV. I'm a 28 handicap.

Ha. Man, what a missed opportunity for the board to have some fun here, maybe it just needs a little boost. :)

One day, this drop dead gorgeous woman getting out of her Mercedes gave me this incredible smile while glancing at her. Perhaps, she was telling me there was a chance. ;):)

When did Babers say, "we can't compete"?

I've read it here from multiple posters that we can't compete with the big boys in recruiting and NIL, it's foolish to try and go head-to-head in recruiting with the big boys and crap like that, but if Babers ever said "we can't compete" please tell me when he said and where I can find a clip. Thank you.

If we didn’t have any deficiencies wouldn’t that vault us into being a great team?

As far as P5 teams are concerned, I think some of our deficiencies can be termed "noncompetitive".

I'd settle for middle-of-the-road "serviceable" if possible (but I don't think it is with Babers at this point.)

Or in other words, I don't think we'd leap from "good" to "great"... More like "poor" to "mediocre/average"

If we were "good", we wouldn't be blownout like we have been in the last 3 games.

When did Babers say, "we can't compete"?

I've read it here from multiple posters that we can't compete with the big boys in recruiting and NIL, it's foolish to try and go head-to-head in recruiting with the big boys and crap like that, but if Babers ever said "we can't compete" please tell me when he said and where I can find a clip. Thank you.
It’s basically implied when you complain about other programs stealing your depth through NIL.

It’s basically implied when you complain about other programs stealing your depth through NIL.

"Basically implied" is the interpretation of the individual and NOT what the man said. Nice way to put words in someone's mouth and present it as fact when it is not fact. Too many people will read the post I responded to and think that is actually what Coach Babers said. Very misleading and disingenuous.

For the record, HCDB was asked about the team's depth and coach provided an answer. Coach Babers was not complaining as much as he was responding with what he knows about issues that have impacted the team's depth. If he responds with facts that are not in our favor and you want to take that as complaining, that's on you. It's not like he walked up to the podium and in his opening statement said something like "Man, if we hadn't lost so many good players to the portal, which is often influenced by NIL, then we would have the kind of depth needed to compete."

Have fun.

GO ORANGE!

"Basically implied" is the interpretation of the individual and NOT what the man said. Nice way to put words in someone's mouth and present it as fact when it is not fact. Too many people will read the post I responded to and think that is actually what Coach Babers said. Very misleading and disingenuous.

For the record, HCDB was asked about the team's depth and coach provided an answer. Coach Babers was not complaining as much as he was responding with what he knows about issues that have impacted the team's depth. If he responds with facts that are not in our favor and you want to take that as complaining, that's on you. It's not like he walked up to the podium and in his opening statement said something like "Man, if we hadn't lost so many good players to the portal, which is often influenced by NIL, then we would have the kind of depth needed to compete."

Have fun.

GO ORANGE!
When you make a point to mention losing depth to NIL in a postgame press conference after your team just got curb stomped, exactly what do you think that means? It means we didn’t have the quality of depth to compete with that program because we don’t have the funds to retain all of our players targeted by NIL. He may not have explicitly said that but he doesn’t need to. It’s obvious.

When you make a point to mention losing depth to NIL in a postgame press conference after your team just got curb stomped, exactly what do you think that means? It means we didn’t have the quality of depth to compete with that program because we don’t have the funds to retain all of our players targeted by NIL. He may not have explicitly said that but he doesn’t need to. It’s obvious.

He didn't "mention" it, he was responding to a question about our depth. Was he complaining or stating facts? How would you have preferred he responded to the question? Had the question not been asked and he "mentioned" how he believes NIL has affected our depth then I might think he was complaining. But that's not what happened.

Then his words get twisted to imply he said, "we can't compete", which may have some truth to it for various reasons, but it wasn't what coach said.

I did not interpret his response as a complaint, nor do I interpret what he said to mean we cannot compete. However, I do believe, if we don't improve our NIL opportunities to a level that is competitive with the top third of the conference then we will not be able to compete with those programs. Improving is one thing (we seem to have done that) but improving sufficiently to compete with the top programs in the conference is another thing.

Negative people and those with agendas will never be satisfied and will twist words to further their agenda.

Last edited:
He didn't "mention" it, he was responding to a question about our depth. Was he complaining or stating facts? How would you have preferred he responded to the question? Had the question not been asked and he "mentioned" how he believes NIL has affected our depth then I might think he was complaining. But that's not what happened.

Then his words get twisted to imply he said, "we can't compete", which may have some truth to it for various reasons, but it wasn't what coach said.

I did not interpret his response as a complaint, nor do I interpret what he said to mean we cannot compete. However, I do believe, if we don't improve our NIL opportunities to a level that is competitive with the top third of the conference then we will not be able to compete with those programs. Improving is one thing (we seem to have done that) but improving sufficiently to compete with the top programs in the conference is another thing.

Negative people and those with agendas will never be satisfied and will twist words to further their agenda.
What I’m saying is it’s not a leap for IthacaMatt to make that inference. Agree to disagree.

5-0 here we come

4-1 here we come.

Season 4 No GIF by The Office

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors