Are we done with adding players for 2024-25? | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Are we done with adding players for 2024-25?

Eddie needs to master the D.J. burns method- hold and grab your man then block his shot because he can’t elevate when you are fouling him.

In the era of the insanity that is the NIL and
the portal, there will be programs that will
benefit and those that will struggle. 2 years is
not much of a sample, but it's obvious that
even the most optimistic fan has to see that
SU hasn't thrived so far. NIL in it's present
form won't last, but the portal will probably
be around for a while. SU needs a plan.

I would say it is unorthodox in the following ways:

1. Not bringing in an acc caliber PG, when that was obviously the biggest area of need.

2. It’s my opinion that they lost more talent than they replaced, if you disagree so be it. Not a traditional approach when you weren’t even on the bubble the year before. The team needed a major upgrade in talent, the portal allows that, didn’t happen.

3. They do not seem particularly interested in trying to add any more impact players despite scholarships available.

4. The staff appears uninterested in or unable to pursue top tier transfer players. Just last year to this year is seems like we are pursuing and landing a significantly lower level of player.

I don’t think it is Red’s fault but it certainly gives the impression they don’t have the resources available to compete for the top of the ACC and maybe we need to be more realistic about what the goals actually are.
1 - the portal isnt over...but I would think they want to bring a PG, still (then again, westry could be healthier than we know and that is the plan)
2. totally disagree here - brought in 3 players that averaged double figure in scoring last year and also rebounded and assisted etc

the current roster has 5 players that averaged double digits scoring - last year's team only had 3! just think about that one...

PLUS a top 10 McDs all american forward...

and before you dismiss the portal adds they did it in the NCAAT before...they can get it done

3. i think this is a holdover from the JB era - its kinda like let the players that hae been chosen have their territory...but its a knife that cuts both ways....too many mouths to feed can cause issues and dissension in the locker room...personally, I want max talent and 13 possible contributors...but team chemistry and internal dynamic is just something we as fans are blind to...but the caoches arent.

that said, wait until the portal is done to be sure about that

4. i think is by design...you are assuming it is not.

they are done with headcases and selfish players ...i think the blowout losses last season were due to selfish players and poor chemistry...we'll see...theyve reached out to some good players but didnt get them...they reached out to kadary and roach...but cant get everyone...

i think the "names" are not necessarily the way to go...in the portal...

im glad they are ducking the headcase players and i think you will be pleasantly surprised in the end

5. i dont think this is about resources at all but about strategy...but we'll see

In the era of the insanity that is the NIL and
the portal, there will be programs that will
benefit and those that will struggle. 2 years is
not much of a sample, but it's obvious that
even the most optimistic fan has to see that
SU hasn't thrived so far. NIL in it's present
form won't last, but the portal will probably
be around for a while. SU needs a plan.
is this a haiku?

Since lots are posting here. People should take a look at On3’s top PG’s left in the portal.
Kadary is 3, Qadir is listed at # 9!

That’s right the #9 portal PG per the experts is a guy that has never played PG in college. Even the most die hard Cuse and Quadir fans know he cant be the 9th best PG in the portal right now. A great player no doubt but come on.

What that tells me is that the portal is a mess right now and who people think we should get because they’re a flashy big name player with nice stats are probably not the best that are really available.

Theres 1500ish players in the portal right now that don’t have homes. There’s diamonds in the rough to be found.

Hopefully our staff finds them.

Since lots are posting here. People should take a look at On3’s top PG’s left in the portal.
Kadary is 3, Qadir is listed at # 9!

That’s right the #9 portal PG per the experts is a guy that has never played PG in college. Even the most die hard Cuse and Quadir fans know he cant be the 9th best PG in the portal right now. A great player no doubt but come on.
I don't really know about that. I think Copeland on the team next year would make a lot of sense. He is VERY talented. However, I don't think Red wanted him back. There were guys last year who didn't buy into what Red was trying to do and working against it. I don't know how much Copeland was involved in that, but based on what insiders have said, he definitely played a part.

theyve reached out to some good players but didnt get them...they reached out to kadary and roach...but cant get everyone...

Don’t need them to “get everyone” but they needed at least an acc caliber point guard. If you think Syracuse has the NIL to land Kadary or Roach I hope you are right. But if so, they should have gotten (or will still get) a great point guard. Choosing not to is worse than not being able to.

I hope I am wrong and they are not done. Just going off what insiders are saying.

I don't really know about that. I think Copeland on the team next year would make a lot of sense. He is VERY talented. However, I don't think Red wanted him back. There were guys last year who didn't buy into what Red was trying to do and working against it. I don't know how much Copeland was involved in that, but based on what insiders have said, he definitely played a part.
Game body language and bumping or passing Red on way to bench was telegraphing what ultimately transpired.

Don’t need them to “get everyone” but they needed at least an acc caliber point guard. If you think Syracuse has the NIL to land Kadary or Roach I hope you are right. But if so, they should have gotten (or will still get) a great point guard. Choosing not to is worse than not being able to.

I hope I am wrong and they are not done. Just going off what insiders are saying.
Kadary & Roach want to compete for a Chip. That's not happening at Cuse, unfortunately.

Brown is the classic tweener. If he was 3 to 4 inches taller he would be a star. He did his best given his limitations. I only see him starting on a team that needs a Rodman type player. Hustle, good bball IQ, rebound and defend. Unfortunately his offensive game is extremely limited.
Great role player. Sucks to lose him but he's not starting material on our roster as it's shaping up.
Extremely limited is an extremely poor take. Was he more likely to pass? Yes. Was he likely following the advice of his coach? Also yes. Dont drag him because he did what he was told to do.

Also, are we really calling his defense as a center out? That’s idiotic. Don’t fault him for terrible recruiting.

Basically I was disputing a post that felt we would be much worse overall defensively next year. I felt that Maliq’s defensive accolades were largely due to his incredibly quick hands and high number of steals but our interior defense was abysmal. And it was just bigs that we struggled with. Opponents had free rein driving to the basket once they got by our guards.
Loved what Brown brought to the team. I will miss him. But to think we will be worse defensively than a team that gave up 79 ppg in conference, well over 80 the last six weeks, primarily because he left doesn’t work for me.
Don’t fault the forward for the centers being completely unreliable.

I wouldn’t be concerned about the 3 point shooting if we had a ringer at the 2, but it’s difficult to project how JJ will do there. That's the main reason I want another shooter.

JJ's season after New Year's was very solid. He shot around 34%. He got more comfortable as the season went on. He's going to be one of the leaders of this team. He can get to the rim. He's a more team-oriented Judah, without all the complaining to the refs.

There is no one on the team that has more talent or is better than Judah or Maliq.

I get the whole is greater than the sum of its parts and I was critical of Judah, but the current roster is not talented enough, period.

You cannot lose that much talent and just hope to god that everyone all of a sudden becomes their best selves because they are wearing a Cuse jersey.

We need another guy or two before we can really compare. Right now, I think the chemistry looks a lot better. Think about how certain teams of ours in the past with a lot of talent on paper got better the next year, when certain guys moved on.

Agree on the pace point but also agree we need to be more effective defensively. We were atrocious as a team defensively this past season regardless of pace. The second Clemson game was incredible. They put up 90 without really a ton of fast break points. Just got the shots they wanted on like 90% of their possessions.

Comparing personnel is interesting but we need a better approach defensively as well. Hope the new assistant helps with that or Red comes with some new ideas. Have to be better there.

We also were without our 2 centers and a PF who was kicked off the team.
That kind of hurts your defense.

I think it's remarkable that our offense got so much better in the 2nd half of the season that we could effectively outscore a lot of teams.

Brown is the classic tweener. If he was 3 to 4 inches taller he would be a star. He did his best given his limitations. I only see him starting on a team that needs a Rodman type player. Hustle, good bball IQ, rebound and defend. Unfortunately his offensive game is extremely limited.
Great role player. Sucks to lose him but he's not starting material on our roster as it's shaping up.

If he can develop a 3 ball on the pick-and-pop that you have to guard, and add another 20 pounds (mostly in his legs) for strength on defense, then he would be another Sam Perkins.

We need another guy or two before we can really compare. Right now, I think the chemistry looks a lot better. Think about how certain teams of ours in the past with a lot of talent on paper got better the next year, when certain guys moved on.
Like this take - it was a push to get a team with people playing proper positions and that is a biggest positive

Hurts to miss on Mack, Leffew and Kadary. A truly strong PG is a key component that is missing. A large collection of average guards doesn’t really solve the problem

If this is the final roster, being better than last year is going to hinge on Westry’s health and Donnie being a stud.

If neither of the above pans out, it may be a step backwards. After all we lost our leading scorer and rebounder. The transfers help with roster construction but no one is a true stud

JJ's season after New Year's was very solid. He shot around 34%. He got more comfortable as the season went on. He's going to be one of the leaders of this team. He can get to the rim. He's a more team-oriented Judah, without all the complaining to the refs.
He had a great stretch, but he wasn't very good the last 8 games or so. He was bad a lot more than good last year and if he ended the year great I'd agree but he's an average offensive player who does a lot of average things who can't play defense.

He shot well for 6 weeks in January. At the end of the season he regressed. I hope Moore pushes him because 34 and 35 percent by your guards in 2025 is not a winning formula.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom