Are you old? | Syracusefan.com

Are you old?

SWC75

Bored Historian

1978 wasn't that long ago, was it? This says that if you recognize at least 5 of these people you're 'old'. I can recognize almost everyone. What does that make me?

main-qimg-a48c1370a2f20108fd5741b1be4635f3-lq

How often do you see Alfred Hitchcock standing next to Walter Cronkite?

I was only 2 when the picture was taken and I can identify far more than 5. I guess it’s official. I’m an old bat.

I guess you would be considered really old if you remember their face but not their name. Just kidding, but in actuality, I found it easier to identify more males than females. Not sure why.

Clearer picture, too. I recognized even more. So I must be even older than I thought.

It's official. I'm old. Captain Kangaroo. George Burns. Lassie. They're all in there.

Also, let's see, Jean Stapleton, Sally Struthers, 'Meathead' (where's Archie?), Mike Wallace, Art Bleeping Linkletter, Danny Kaye, Telly Savalas, Pearl Bailey, Charles Kuralt, Bob Newhart, Lucille Ball, Jim Nabors...man, I'm really old! But where's Raymond Burr??

Last edited:
it would be interesting if you took the same photo of CBS people over the last 50 yrs and asked people how many they knew.

if anything, with the diverse way people watch tv/movie/news now they may know far less of the people now, than we know of people from 50 yrs ago.

Believe it or not, I think the figure on the extreme right is James Arness when he was doing "How the West Was Won".

b73444c0070a8c37e2b572b7b143b972.jpg

It's official. I'm old. Captain Kangaroo. George Burns. Lassie. They're all in there.

Also, let's see, Jean Stapleton, Sally Struthers, 'Meathead' (where's Archie?), Mike Wallace, Art Bleeping Linkletter, Danny Kaye, Telly Savalas, Pearl Bailey, Charles Kuralt, Bob Newhart, Lucille Ball, Jim Nabors...man, I'm really old! But where's Raymond Burr??
Carroll O’Connor is behind Don Knotts.

I almost didn’t recognize Gene Rayburn without his long phallic microphone.

The grouping of the people in the picture seems to be random. Gene Rayburn with Lassie, Jean Stapleton, Walter Cronkite, Alfred Hitchcock, Mary Tyler Moore and Ellen Corby?

I got about 45 keeping track in my mind, so unofficial count. I'm 46 years old fwiw

I get about 26 for certain. Could prolly double that with better resolution.

Ooh—with the sharper picture, 45.

Definitely saw Sherman Helmsley and Rob Reiner

This is my attempt to recognize as many as possible from the clearer picture in the other thread. If I recognized the character but not the actor’s name, I looked that up. The question marks are where I recognized neither and couldn’t guess, (for which I used “not sure”).

First line (top): Dick Van Dyke, Jack Lord, Ralph Waite, Not sure (Fernando Lamas?) Martin Landau, Rob Reiner, ?, Not sure, (John Amos?) Bob Barker, Bert Convey, Dan Rather, Richard Crenna, Mike Connors, David Groh.

Second line: Art Linkletter, Glenn Campbell, Buddy Ebsen, Michael Learned, John Forsythe, Steve Allen, Carol Burnett, Jim Nabors, Bea Arthur, Loretta Swit, Not sure, (Ed Bradley?), Andy Griffith, Lee Meriweather, Demond Wilson, Linda Carter, James Arness.

Third line: Dick Smothers, ?, Ted Knight, Georgia Engel, Jon Walmsley, Not Sure, (Charles Collingwood?) Audrey Meadows, Valerie Harper, ?, David Harper, Bill Macy, Ken Berry.

Fourth line: Mike Wallace, Sherman Hemsley, Jack Whitaker, Isabel Sanford, Judy Norton, Bob Denver, Carroll O’Connor, ?, ?, Will Geer, , ?, Art Carney, Tony Randall, Bob Newhart.

Fifth Line: Arlene Francis, Jaime Farr, Adrienne Barbeau, Vicki Lawrence, Mary Elizabeth McDonough, Don Knotts, Lucille Ball, Ed Asner, Jackie Cooper, Esther Rolle, Amanda Blake, Eric Severeid.

Sixth line: Dennis Weaver, Tommy Smothers, Sally Struthers, Gary Moore, ?, ?, Betty White, Not Sure, (Bob Schieffer?), Ned Beatty, Charles Kuralt.

Seventh line: Eric Scott, Kami Cotler, Bonnie Franklin, William Conrad, Not sure (Eva Gabor?), Alan Funt, Tim Conway, Danny Thomas, Bob Keeshan (Captain Kangeroo).

Eighth line: ?, Arthur Murray, ? (one the ladies could be Kathyn Murray), Telly Savalas, Dale Evans, Roy Rogers, Not Sure, (Ken Murray?).

Ninth Line: ?, Danny Kaye, ?, George Burns, Not sure (Cecily Tyson?), Not Sure, (Arthur Godfrey?), Red Skelton.

Tenth Line: ?, Nancy Walker, ?, Not sure (Ann Sothern?), Barbara Bain

Eleventh line (bottom): Lassie, Jean Stapleton, Walter Cronkite, Alfred Hitchcock, Mary Tyler Moore, Ellen Corby, Gene Rayburn.

That totals 115 people and one dog, 88 of whom I believe I recognize, 14 of which I took a guess at but am not sure and 14 I just couldn’t place at all. 88/116 = 76%. I’m 69, so that’s pretty close.

Can you guess how many of the 116 CBS celebrities are still alive here in 2023?

The following CBS celebrities welcomed in the new year with us Saturday night:

Rob Reiner, John Amos, Bob Barker, Dan Rather, Michael Learned, Carol Burnett, Loretta Swit, Lee Meriweather, Demond Wilson, Linda Carter, Dick Smothers, Jon Walmsley, David Harper, Jaime Farr, Adrienne Barbeau, Vicki Lawrence, Mary Elizabeth McDonough, Tommy Smothers, Sally Struthers, Bob Schieffer, Eric Scott, Kami Cotler and Barbara Bain = 23

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom