Art Jones vs. Chris Slayton | Syracusefan.com

Art Jones vs. Chris Slayton

Nick44

All Conference
The easy answer is Art. He had a great college career, a good NFL career and a signature game registering 17 tackles against ND. He also was stuck playing for an incompetent head coach for most of his career but had the luxury of playing against Big East competition.

Chris Slayton has been a stalwart for this program. Extremely durable (knock on wood), keeps his head down and does his job. An old school player. A player that a no BS coach like a Belichick would want. Doesn’t quite have the accolades that Art ended up with but equally as valuable and may have a higher ceiling. Can’t go wrong with either.

Haven’t had an interior lineman as good as either of these since Tim Green.

I think the Jury is still out on Chris Slayton. He should have a long career in the NFL and still has yet to finish college. Art was special, no doubt.

The easy answer is Art. He had a great college career, a good NFL career and a signature game registering 17 tackles against ND. He also was stuck playing for an incompetent head coach for most of his career but had the luxury of playing against Big East competition.

Chris Slayton has been a stalwart for this program. Extremely durable (knock on wood), keeps his head down and does his job. An old school player. A player that a no BS coach like a Belichick would want. Doesn’t quite have the accolades that Art ended up with but equally as valuable and may have a higher ceiling. Can’t go wrong with either.

Haven’t had an interior lineman as good as either of these since Tim Green.
Did Tim Green play on the interior?

What Chris Slayton did to Clemson’s Bryant was legendary.

I do not applaud injuring opposing players, but that was a clean hard take down. Exactly what you’d expect from your beefcake DT.

Im calling Slayton Wolfman Beefcake from now on

Did Tim Green play on the interior?

As I recall, they switched him around. Pass rushing was his greatest skill, similar to Freeney. it was an era where you could be a 240 pound nose tackle like Ted Gregory or Kevin Mitchell. they did run a 4-3-4, thus "Four Wheel Drive" up front. Green Gregory, Blaise Winter and Jamie Kimmel. I think Bill Pendock was also part of the group at one point. He'd played at Liverpool with Tim.

I checked my old yearbooks and Pendock was the NT before Gregory. Winter was the biggest guy at 262 and was a tackle. Green was listed as one but you can't have two of them. Kimmel was a linebacker at one point and moved up to end. Gregory was always an inside guy.

Not any centers I saw could block Gregory. Amazingly quick. Loved watching him.

What Chris Slayton did to Clemson’s Bryant was legendary.

I do not applaud injuring opposing players, but that was a clean hard take down. Exactly what you’d expect from your beefcake DT.

Im calling Slayton Wolfman Beefcake from now on

Art was solid, big and jumped gaps well. Right now, off course its art, but art wasn't the physical freak Slayton is. NFL teams will love what slayton brings, but he still needs to make the pro adjustment. Great comparison.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom