Class of 2016 - ATH Carl Jones (OH) SIGNED LOI | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 ATH Carl Jones (OH) SIGNED LOI

Is this kid from St. Edwards [same school as Troy Henderson]? If so, high quality / caliber program in a powerhouse football state.

Can't hurt our chances with the CB from there we're also recruiting, who recently de-committed from Pitt.
Correct, it's the same HS as both Troy and Tony Butler (the DB you mention...though he recently released a top 4 that doesn't include us, but of course Jones committing could potentially change that).

How does he get overlooked?

No idea -- hadn't heard of him until his visit over the weekend.

But what I do know is that HS program is powerhouse. I spent about a year of the time I lived in Ohio residing in Lakewood. That St. Ed's program is legit.

Love all these pickups but man I'm not too sure about this DomeDudes stuff.
alltheyoungdudes.jpg

Plus he comes with a terrific, big time program in Ohio. With Henderson last year and potentially (probably) Jones this year, it's nice to establish a relationship/pipeline with a program like St. Edward's.

Absolutely. Lakewood St. Ed's is one of the premier programs in Cleveland and the state. They play a big time schedule every year so Jones will be ready.

Ok I'll say it... Not sure how a 6'2 CB who plays for St. Ed's only has offers from 2 service academies? On offense Babers has proven himself enough where you can just say trust the staff, but have to kind of question this one? And no I can care less about the 2 stars, I'm more concerned with the 2 offers coming out of a school like that?

Last edited:
Ok I'll say it... Not sure how a 6'2 CB who plays for St. Ed's only has offers from 2 service academies? On offense Babers has proven himself enough offensively where you can just say trust the staff, but have to kind of question this one? And no I can care less about the 2 stars, I'm more concerned with the 2 offers coming out of a school like that?

My guess is he is a solid player makes all the plays in front of him but doesn't flash in games. So as a scout watching the game he doesn't jump especially compared to the corner opposite of him. This might be the type of corner we will be looking at from now on? Solid not flashy player? Just a guess.

OttoinGrotto said:
Been saying this for years.

Totally agree. imo there is no such thing as an undercover JUCO. If you're still undercover at the end of your 2 JUCO years, the smart money is on you just not being that good.

Give me the HS kid every single time.

How nice would it be to have a lock down corner? Welcome to the Hill Mr. Jones!

Just going over the last 2/3 years for St. Edwards they have sent 4-6 DB/S to D-1 schools .Its easy to see how a kid can blow up late in a program like this as he did put up some big numbers on each side of the line this year.Patience paid off for this kid.

And it looks like from a recruiting stand point St. Edwards may be a very young team this year.

What I like is that Dino pulled in 2 kids his first year at BG. from this program.

Last edited:
Ok I'll say it... Not sure how a 6'2 CB who plays for St. Ed's only has offers from 2 service academies? On offense Babers has proven himself enough where you can just say trust the staff, but have to kind of question this one? And no I can care less about the 2 stars, I'm more concerned with the 2 offers coming out of a school like that?

My guess is that he probably isn't a corner--maybe more of a S / WR, where there is less of a premium.

Lakewood is 45 minutes [if that] from Sandusky, where BG is. I'm guessing that this is a kid Babers and staff were paying attention to all along.

My guess is that he probably isn't a corner--maybe more of a S / WR, where there is less of a premium.

Lakewood is 45 minutes [if that] from Sandusky, where BG is. I'm guessing that this is a kid Babers and staff were paying attention to all along.

Not to split hairs, but BGSU is in Bowling Green, OH. About 25 miles south of Toledo and 2h from Lakewood.

How does he get overlooked?
From his visit photos he doesn't look physically ready for the college game. Really needs a year of S&C; his arms look like he should be recruited for trumpet section of the pep band...

Edit: Complete opposite from Ruff...

He's so under the radar at one of the nation's top programs he's not even in the rvls recruiting database.

Not that it matters because the difference in distance isn't huge...but BGSU isn't in Sandusky. There is actually a town called Bowling Green that is still within a 2 hour drive (about 120 miles) from Lakewood.

Not to split hairs, but BGSU is in Bowling Green, OH. About 25 miles south of Toledo and 2h from Lakewood.

Yes. Lakewood is west side urban Cleveland. BG is a tiny college town south of Toledo. Straight down 75 from Toledo. My brother taught at BG for two years recently. Around 2 hrs like you say.

Not that it matters because the difference in distance isn't huge...but BGSU isn't in Sandusky. There is actually a town called Bowling Green that is still within a 2 hour drive (about 120 miles) from Lakewood.

Yes. Lakewood is west side urban Cleveland. BG is a tiny college town south of Toledo. Straight down 75 from Toledo. My brother taught at BG for two years recently. Around 2 hrs like you say.

My bad. What am I thinking of then? Is there any school in Sandusky?
Regardless, I stand corrected. Still have to imagine that Babers was keeping tabs on St. Edwards from in-state.