Athletic Story on Hillsman | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Athletic Story on Hillsman

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't say I condoned the behavior, I just found it ironic that posters that would not spend 10 seconds on the women's sports board decided to chime in. Then Cuselegacy said it was originally posted on the men's basketball board which totally makes sense. I mean why wouldn't someone post a story about women's sports on the men's basketball board when it involves a scandal? It's funny and repulsive at the same time.
You are trying too hard. As a Syracuse graduate, I love my university and will comment any time a story comes out that puts the University graduated from, and love, in a bad light. This isn't really about woman's basketball. It's about an employee of the university acting in a very bad way to students at the university. If it was written that a Newhouse Professor kissed students , ignored students at other times, and all of the other stuff, I would want to know about it. If that same program at Newhouse had almost everyone leave the school, a school that I cherished my time at, I sure would want to know.

Last edited:
"muckraking". First, pretty clear to anyone with any journalism background that this story was brought to the Athletic by staff at the school. Not the players. in the story, it was mentioned that Hillsman had changed. Well, the players really wouldn't know how he has changed. that would be staff. And that is why they went the anonymous route. They don't want to lose their jobs.
This isn't on the players. This is on Q if this is true. And with this number of sources, it looks pretty bad for him.
I can honestly say that I don't have a journalism background. You would have found me interning at Hutchings.

Also I don't have a subscription to The Athletic so I confess I haven't read the original article, just what has come out from others.

I

I hear what you are saying Troop. And not to speak for Kelly but this whole transfer portal exodus and now these allegations about Q have been very hard on the people who really follow and support the women's team all year long. It is a little frustrating that sometimes the only way to get people interested in talking about a women's sport is when there is a scandal or problem. That was what I took from Kelly's posts.
That isn't what she said. If she said that, she would still be off base. Those of us that post on this board post all over the place. And we sure post on things that put the U in either a good or bad light.

The Atlantic also had this article:

Why the mass exodus from Syracuse women’s basketball? 'Ego, manipulation ... fear tactics' – The Athletic

Interviews on the Manchild show and OrangeNation suggest that Q became like a second father to Tiana when she got sick but that the rest of the tam did consider her like a 'teacher's pet' and resented the attention. They also discuss the false statements in Q's bio and wondered if his resume was similarly inaccurate when he got hired, which could create a George O'Leary situation.

Is it a good thing to have a man coaching a women's team? Obviously it depends on the individual, (Gary Gait), but doesn't it risk scandals like this one?

Finally, after we made our improbable run to the national championship game, I thought that we'd become one of the powers in women's basketball but it hasn't happened, despite improved recruiting. Is Q's behavior a reason for that?
Woman coaches can be abusers in woman's sports just as easy as men. That isn't the problem. It's about conduct.

Here is the thing that gets me, if this was a scandal about men's bball people would be lined up to support Boeheim and be calling out this article of unnamed sources as BS. I'm reading posts in this thread already putting Q on a rack and getting upset with me because I'm wondering where they all of the sudden got their interest in women's sports.
That really isn't true. Let's make it apples to apples. 11 players transfer out all at the same time. you think everyone would jump to JB's defense? You need to read the hoop board more. Two kids transferred out this year and the board wanted Jb run out of town on a rail.

Last edited:
Fully support ya calling out idiots with their H0T Takes. Would be bummed out if ya didn't. Like I said above, was glad to see T and Peterson come out in support. Hopefully this isn't as bad as it sounds.

Next time the women's schedule aligns with a trip home, I'll swing by and catch a game with ya.
I'm looking at a program that will probably be burned to the ground and that upsets me. If the allegations are true then it should be. I won't lie, it's devastating. The disparity in women's college basketball is palpable, a total redo of the program will be long lasting.

I would love to have you join me for a game, llandz has a seat next to me courtside. It would be great to have you both in town to go to a game. No hard feelings here, I hope none on your end too.

I guess now would be a good time to have a beer or plenty.

The managers had to be a source somewhere - I'm sure they didn't feel any resentment for Q after they laid towels down in the snow so his shoes wouldn't get ruined. If any of the allegations are true - the program and school look insensitive at best. Attend the zoom, follow up on the questionnaire...do something.

In a story about abuses by a male coach against female players, you choose to blast male posters for commenting on it. Yeah, eye roll.
oh dasher, you are not the person I want to get into it with today. Go find someone else to run a screed with, it won't be me.

I'm looking at a program that will probably be burned to the ground and that upsets me. If the allegations are true then it should be. I won't lie, it's devastating. The disparity in women's college basketball is palpable, a total redo of the program will be long lasting.

I would love to have you join me for a game, llandz has a seat next to me courtside. It would be great to have you both in town to go to a game. No hard feelings here, I hope none on your end too.

I guess now would be a good time to have a beer or plenty.

No hard feelings here. I was probably just in a mood because the virtual conference I'm attending is going hoorrrrible because NIH decided to use a brand new platform that's just ridiculous. There's literally an "elevator" that you have to ride to get to the "2nd floor". I hate today. Deff a good time for a beer.

oh dasher, you are not the person I want to get into it with today. Go find someone else to run a screed with, it won't be me.
I didn't start anything. I am very happy to ignore you as I usually do. But your take was over the top. It isn't our fault what is happening to the woman's team. I have no hard feelings for you Kelly, despite what you think. I wish you nothing but happiness. And just for your knowledge, I never miss a woman's game if it is on tv. I am more of a softball fan. And both stories hurt me to the core.

No hard feelings here. I was probably just in a mood because the virtual conference I'm attending is going hoorrrrible because NIH decided to use a brand new platform that's just ridiculous. There's literally an "elevator" that you have to ride to get to the "2nd floor". I hate today. Deff a good time for a beer.
Teams is enough for me to take the gas pipe. Once they tell me I have to take a virtual elevator that's going to be it, I'm out.

the details from the story around the behavior with the managers was eye opening and I would fully expect those managers (figure they were some of the sources) to want to stay anonymous as if they have any thoughts of being coaches down the line they don't want to blow their careers up being a named whistleblower in a story.

From a coaching staff perspective to have only one female assistant is in hindsight now is a red flag. When you have a male head coach, you usually see multiple female assistant coaches and support staff (see Uconn, Louisville, Oregon and Texas A&M as examples). The same way for the men's program for a long-time Mike Hopkins was the "good cop" to JB, if you don't have female coach (s) on the staff to build relationships with the players did that adversely impact the ability to smooth things over with the players when needed.

Why are we so quick to make a judgment when I assume the overwhelming majority of us are not in the know? An investigation by an outside law firm (I assume a national firm with no direct ties to university or local firm) will take some time contacting those who made allegations (most willing to talk) and others including players and coach himself. A decision will ultimately be made based on this investigation. I honestly don't feel like I have a dog in this fight.

Why are we so quick to make a judgment when I assume the overwhelming majority of us are not in the know? An investigation by an outside law firm (I assume a national firm with no direct ties to university or local firm) will take some time contacting those who made allegations (most willing to talk) and others including players and coach himself. A decision will ultimately be made based on this investigation. I honestly don't feel like I have a dog in this fight.
Other than what is best for Syracuse none of us do. Wait till everyone reads the second Tiana story that is now in the Post Standard, This was one bad locker room. According to Tiana, some members of the team wanted to know why she wasn't at practice after under going Chemo. Just wow. I wish tiana would have named names. First, by not doing so, it indicts everyone. Second, those that had no problem going after Q should have their background stuff revealed. To question someone for not going to practice after chemo is quite sick.

Last edited:
As someone who has been to several SUWBB games (at GA Tech) there were always some things about Q's behavior that seemed odd. I read the Athletic article this morning before reading the comments in the forum.

Very disturbing. Some of the references in the article don't surprise me based on my observations. I just don't see a good resolution to the situation. In fact, there is really only one.

* I did meet Q once at one of the Boeheim events at Turning Stone. We had a great chat. 180 degrees different from the observations referenced above.

As someone who has been to several SUWBB games (at GA Tech) there were always some things about Q's behavior that seemed odd. I read the Athletic article this morning before reading the comments in the forum.

Very disturbing. Some of the references in the article don't surprise me based on my observations. I just don't see a good resolution to the situation. In fact, there is really only one.

* I did meet Q once at one of the Boeheim events at Turning Stone. We had a great chat. 180 degrees different from the observations referenced above.
This whole thing is one sad story. I wondered why a team with such great talent would under perform the way they did. I think we have a lot of those answers today.

But then why not go to the administration and file a formal complaint so it could be investigated.
I won't belabor this point, but why have women not filed complaints about s e x ual harassment, assault, and other similar matters forever? The backlash is often unrelenting, as I'm sure it will be in this situation as well.

Here is the thing that gets me, if this was a scandal about men's bball people would be lined up to support Boeheim and be calling out this article of unnamed sources as BS. I'm reading posts in this thread already putting Q on a rack and getting upset with me because I'm wondering where they all of the sudden got their interest in women's sports.
Baloney. Go re-read one of the million Bernie Fine threads.

Individually, lots of this stuff could be forgiven, if rarely done. A kiss on the forehead is weird but seems pretty harmless to me.

But it sounds like there were a lot of questionable things done, apparently quite often. I don't like to call for people to be fired. But I think it is probably warranted here.

Not a good day for the women's basketball program. But it might set the stage for better days ahead.
Ugly accusations for sure. Not sure where the truth falls, but it's like the old saying "where there is smoke, there is fire". Going to be hard for Coach Q to stay on.

Okay, I wouldn't want to suppress anyone's opinion on anything but I won't apologize for the hard eye roll on the H0T Takes posted so far. Much more coming I expect.
I posted the original story on the basketball page. It's not called Men's Basketball. I apologize if that was offensive. The story is a major story. I spend very little time thinking about the women's program other than the tournament time. We watch the games when they are on as an alum family with a daughter who plays hoops.

Not sure how it's a hot take if the women's coach has been completely sauteed at the Athletic by, IMO, the athletic dept for boorish behavior. He sounds like a jerk and frankly should be roasted by all fans if this is true.

That really isn't true. Let's make it apples to apples. 11 players transfer out all at the same time. you think everyone would jump to JB's defense? You need to read the hoop board more. Two kids transferred out this year and the board wanted Jb run out of town on a rail.

I realize advanced math can be challenging, but 1 (Robert Braswell)+1 (Kadary Richmond) +1 (Woody Newton) +1 (Quincy Guerrier) = 4. ;):)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom