Athlon Way Too Early Top 25 for 2019 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Athlon Way Too Early Top 25 for 2019

I see how it's done now.

Cool, I always wanted to be an awesome, famous, often quoted college football blogger!

Here is my way too early top 25 for next season:

1- Michigan
2- Ohio State
3- Texas
4- Notre Dame
5- Nebraska
6- Oklahoma
7- Penn State
8- USC
9- Tennessee
10- Georgia
11- LSU
12- Auburn
13- West Virginia
14- Washington
15- Virginia Tech
16- Texas A&M
17-Clemson
18- Georgia Tech
19- Pitt
20- Florida
21- Arkansas
22- Syracuse
23- Navy
24- Colorado
25 Wisconsin

BTW... my list may or may not be the list of top 25 winning schools by total number of wins.

Last edited:
They are looking at recent past history and recruiting classes. Both VT and Nebraska have recruited way better than we have up to this point.

We have neither.

They are looking at recent past history and recruiting classes. Both VT and Nebraska have recruited way better than we have up to this point.

We have neither.
Have they? The results on the field say otherwise.

Have they? The results on the field say otherwise.
Completely missed the point...

We have one season in the past 17 years where we have been ranked.

How have our recruiting rankings been? Are they top 25 worthy? Over the past how many years?

They view us as a 1-hit wonder at this point.

Other that 2018, what can we hang our hat on? VT was ranked this year, last year, the year before that and Nebraska was ranked recently as well.

Reactions: CIL
Completely missed the point...

We have one season in the past 17 years where we have been ranked.

How have our recruiting rankings been? Are they top 25 worthy? Over the past how many years?

They view us as a 1-hit wonder at this point.

Other that 2018, what can we hang our hat on? VT was ranked this year, last year, the year before that and Nebraska was ranked recently as well.
I didn’t miss the point, I disagree with it.

They are entitled to their opinion if that’s truly what they believe, but if we continue to be overlooked because they only looking at recruiting stars instead of development and system they should lose all credibility.

What they did two years ago, the team and tge Recruits is meaningless. What are they going to do next year? Based on your logic, recruits and history, Florida State should be ranked well above VT.

EDIT: I apologize for sounding contentious. Not having the best dinner out experience. :)

I didn’t miss the point, I disagree with it.

They are entitled to their opinion if that’s truly what they believe, but if we continue to be overlooked because they only looking at recruiting stars instead of development and system they should lose all credibility.

What they did two years ago, the team and tge Recruits is meaningless. What are they going to do next year? Based on your logic, recruits and history, Florida State should be ranked well above VT.

It's OK that you disagree, I actually think we should be ranked preseason as well. I am telling you why we aren't.

So you are saying that we deserve more respect because we were good 1 year over the past 17 than a team that has been good and RANKED over the past 20 years.

So you are saying that we deserve more respect in the rankings than teams that have had ranked recruiting classes over the past 10 years while we haven't.

Florida State is a very bad example. If they fix their offensive line issues, and they added Briles as their OC, with their talent I wouldn't count them out from being ranked next year. I wouldn't bet against them.

Va Tech had a super young defense in 2018 and they got exposed, that wont happen next year when those kids grow up. Nebraska's offense finally got it halfway through the season and Frost's offense is like Dino's, once they get rolling, watch out.

It's OK that you disagree, I actually think we should be ranked preseason as well. I am telling you why we aren't.

So you are saying that we deserve more respect because we were good 1 year over the past 17 than a team that has been good and RANKED over the past 20 years.

So you are saying that we deserve more respect in the rankings than teams that have had ranked recruiting classes over the past 10 years while we haven't.

Florida State is a very bad example. If they fix their offensive line issues, and they added Briles as their OC, with their talent I wouldn't count them out from being ranked next year. I wouldn't bet against them.

Va Tech had a super young defense in 2018 and they got exposed, that wont happen next year when those kids grow up. Nebraska's offense finally got it halfway through the season and Frost's offense is like Dino's, once they get rolling, watch out.
Maybe we differ in what a pre-season ranking represents. To me it represents how they think these teams are going to perform in the upcoming season. Not a gauge on what respect each program deserves because of what they’ve done in the past.

If it’s a gauge on respect, Florida State is the perfect example for my argument. Looking at their recruits, past experience and second year of a new coach they SHOULD be ranked higher. When you look at VT, they’ve ended each season with a lower ranking each year of Fuentes’ tenure. That’s the history they should be looking at.

I’m happy Syracuse isn’t getting respect, but if you look at changes to the roster they should be a strong candidate to repeat success. A large contingent of starters are returning and holes are being filled in many cases with kids that were higher ranked in high school (if your into that sort of thing) than the player they are replacing.

Can’t wait for the season to begin so we can start proving these guys wrong. Go Orange!

Maybe we differ in what a pre-season ranking represents. To me it represents how they think these teams are going to perform in the upcoming season. Not a gauge on what respect each program deserves because of what they’ve done in the past.

If it’s a gauge on respect, Florida State is the perfect example for my argument. Looking at their recruits, past experience and second year of a new coach they SHOULD be ranked higher. When you look at VT, they’ve ended each season with a lower ranking each year of Fuentes’ tenure. That’s the history they should be looking at.

I’m happy Syracuse isn’t getting respect, but if you look at changes to the roster they should be a strong candidate to repeat success. A large contingent of starters are returning and holes are being filled in many cases with kids that were higher ranked in high school (if your into that sort of thing) than the player they are replacing.

Can’t wait for the season to begin so we can start proving these guys wrong. Go Orange!
Agreed, It's not what you or I think, THEY are putting out what they think is a reasonable top 25.

We both have orange colored glasses.

They are trying to, as we say in my industry, use the past to predict the future.

Unfortunately for us, we don't have a great recent past to use. So naturally they are relying on the sure thing rather than the "one hit wonder".

Agreed, It's not what you or I think, THEY are putting out what they think is a reasonable top 25.

They are trying to, as we say in my industry, use the past to predict the future.

Unfortunately for us, we don't have a great recent past to use. So naturally they are relying on the sure thing rather than the "one hit wonder".
Tw/o Words. Dino Babers

We could win the National Championship and I would want us to be “unranked” heading into the next season. I think this team feeds on being underrated. I know it works for me.
We’ve had 17 years unranked and unloved, wandering in the desert. Anyone who thinks we need more of this should go watch the basketball team.

We’ve had 17 years unranked and unloved, wandering in the desert. Anyone who thinks we need more of this should go watch the basketball team.
What was there to love or rank about the past 17 years? The Robinson years? The Shafer years? Maybe 1 Marrone year? I’m not saying I don’t want a top 25 team, I’m saying I don’t need these analysts’ respect. In fact I’d prefer the team to still feel disrespected (especially before the season starts) and use that to make another statement in 2019. Hell, I don’t think 2018 is still given enough respect. Two of three losses to Playoff teams and an OT loss to PITT? That is what should sell a recruit and not what Athlon says.

The only ranking that matters is the one at the end of 2019 (or technically very early 2020).

And, I suggest everyone go watch the basketball team regardless if you agree with me or not. The less fair weather fans the better for either sport. ;)

The only ranking that matters is the one at the end of 2019 (or technically very early 2020).
Rankings matter in every way for exposure, perception and recruiting. To be talked about all season long is a HUGE deal.

The hoops team has largely been unranked and “under the radar” for the last 5 years. It hasn’t helped anything. There’s little excitement over there save for squeaking into the tournament. The notion that players capitalize on that extra motivation is severely overplayed.

I get that. Having a true understanding of what each FBS team will do next year, even the top 50 is a tough job. Using the past to predict the future is an easy way to get things right more often than not. I’m just saying in general, if your job really depended on it, it’s a flawed method.

I have to forecast sales for each month on a weekly basis. I get chewed out every time I’m off by even a fraction. I’ve tried using the past to predict the future and it turns out wrong more often than analyzing what’s expected to come in the future and using that data to make a prediction.

Rankings matter in every way for exposure, perception and recruiting. To be talked about all season long is a HUGE deal.

The hoops team has largely been unranked and “under the radar” for the last 5 years. It hasn’t helped anything. There’s little excitement over there save for squeaking into the tournament. The notion that players capitalize on that extra motivation is severely overplayed.
Certainly an exaggeration on my part to say I would want to be unranked after a National Championship. Obviously after another year like this one I would hope no one, especially ourselves, think we are anything less than a top 25 program.

I think the uptick in recruiting because of Athlon’s rankings is as small an impact as you think the team feeling disrespected is towards motivation. In my experience, players can certainly keep a chip on their shoulder through a Football Hall of Fame career (see Thurman Thomas as an example). If that’s the case, it can certainly be used to help fuel another win or two next season.

For me the difference between basketball and football is that last 17 years. There is reason for the Football team to feel disrespected. They just had a tremendous year and need to go out and prove they aren’t a “one hit wonder” despite signs they are going to be a force again next season.

The basketball team is VT in Athlons world. They have the history and recruits to warrant a high ranking coming into the season but they haven’t been “under the radar” they’ve played underwhelming. Having high expectations and rankings haven’t helped them on the basketball court. How do you expect it to help the football team? And, if the basketball team wasn’t ranked heading into the season maybe they would be playing with something to prove rather than playing to the level of their competition which is what I’m seeing for the most part.

We can say Athlon sucks, but people are reading it and if there is that much attention then Athlon needs to be responsible and pay attention to what is going on before releasing this top 25.

I get that. Having a true understanding of what each FBS team will do next year, even the top 50 is a tough job. Using the past to predict the future is an easy way to get things right more often than not. I’m just saying in general, if your job really depended on it, it’s a flawed method.

I have to forecast sales for each month on a weekly basis. I get chewed out every time I’m off by even a fraction. I’ve tried using the past to predict the future and it turns out wrong more often than analyzing what’s expected to come in the future and using that data to make a prediction.
I am in sales as well, and am in the same boat. and do the same things to forecast.

Problem is, these Yahoos don't have intimate knowledge of each and every team even though they are supposed to be "professionals".

They are using somewhat of a formula that has worked in the past and provides them a reasonable amount of success. They wont know who Tommy Devito is until their next magazine comes out and they have to actually look at the roster.

Found another top 25 for 2018, released New Years night. Syracuse isn’t listed. These fools forgot about us.

College Football Top 25
Another one. This one from CBS. They have Syracuse moving up one spot but still ranked behind West Virginia, who they just beat badly head to head. West Virginia played a weaker schedule and had a worse record. Penn State gets embarrassed by Kentucky and doesn’t move. Notre Dame gets destroyed and doesn’t move. Are you kidding me?

College Football Rankings

i think we are missing the big deal.. not being ranked means much more room to make money on them next yr.

I think Neb will be ranked next yr and I think VT will at some point to.. But to say in an article VT will be ranked because of the QB potential when that is the reason they had issues this year is a bit confusing.

If we get past Maryland we probably will be ranked no matter where we start depending on how the schedule breaks.

What was there to love or rank about the past 17 years? The Robinson years? The Shafer years? Maybe 1 Marrone year? I’m not saying I don’t want a top 25 team, I’m saying I don’t need these analysts’ respect. In fact I’d prefer the team to still feel disrespected (especially before the season starts) and use that to make another statement in 2019. Hell, I don’t think 2018 is still given enough respect. Two of three losses to Playoff teams and an OT loss to PITT? That is what should sell a recruit and not what Athlon says.

And, I suggest everyone go watch the basketball team regardless if you agree with me or not. The less fair weather fans the better for either sport. ;)

And it's much harder to get up to the top when you start out unranked. And my unscientific research also concludes that those previous unranked, when ranked fall much further when they lose.

and for all that had we beat Pitt/clem, by the time we get to ND, we are probably top 5-7 and win out we are in the NC game and thats coming from around 70s in ranking.