Attention Mark Coyle | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Attention Mark Coyle

Stay with the dome. We use to get. 8,000,000 sports. Now we get 21,000,000. Pay the Bus drivers

I hate to say this but we don't have the Phil knight type hanging out on this board. The $100 here or there isn't going to make a dent in what su would need for a salary bump. I can tell you right now from info I have gotten that Syracuse is 1000% committed to football. Salaries and budgets will go up.

How about Josh Altman??

Can we start another SyracuseFan donation this time earmarked for a HC salary, and assistant salary pool? I have a feeling people would be more inclined to donate towards that then a building.
I hate to say this but we don't have the Phil knight type hanging out on this board. The $100 here or there isn't going to make a dent in what su would need for a salary bump. I can tell you right now from info I have gotten that Syracuse is 1000% committed to football. Salaries and budgets will go up.
That could be interesting, even if it is nothing more than a symbolic gesture to have run of the mill fans pony up.

That's different than ticket sales. There's a transaction there. This kind of a funding drive... interesting to consider.

This is good to know. This tells me Shafer is gone the day after the BC game, and then it's on. Going to be very interesting to see the process play out.

How about Josh Altman??
Josh Altman doesn't have any where near the money it takes. Could he donate once in a while yes but he couldn't invest millions yearly

Crusty said:
I suspect only Coyle knows what he was promised with respect to resources.

The point is...it's not his ultimate call. It will all depend on who he wants at what price. More experienced candidates will warrant more $.

It's not like the school gives him a blank check to fill in the name and $.

Everyone has a boss.

This is good to know. This tells me Shafer is gone the day after the BC game, and then it's on. Going to be very interesting to see the process play out.
That's not what I meant. As of now there maybe feelers but no decision has been made. I'm just saying the school will be reinvesting back into the program and are committed to righting the ship.

The point is...it's not his ultimate call. It will all depend on who he wants at what price. More experienced candidates will warrant more $.

Everyone has a boss.
Right. We're not giving Babers Harbaugh money.

That's not what I meant. As of now there maybe feelers but no decision has been made. I'm just saying the school will be reinvesting back into the program and are committed to righting the ship.

And i'm saying if the University is serious about football the move will be made after the BC game. There is no other choice here. Bringing Shafer back as a lame duck HC will only make the job harder for the next guy. At least if the move is made now the new HC will have a chance to grow with this group of underclassmen, and next years recruiting won't have a huge dark cloud hanging over it. All of these make the decision to let Shafer go a no brainer.

Everyone has a boss.
Who said anything about a blank check? We are talking about paying the ACC median!
If Coyle took the job without proper budget he is a fool. So long as he stayed within that amount it is his call. If he hires some retread or wip because he didn't negotiate his deal properly we will be a doormat for a long time.

And i'm saying if the University is serious about football the move will be made after the BC game. There is no other choice here. Bringing Shafer back as a lame duck HC will only make the job harder for the next guy. At least if the move is made now the new HC will have a chance to grow with this group of underclassmen, and next years recruiting won't have a huge dark cloud hanging over it. All of these make the decision to let Shafer go a no brainer.
I don't want to be defeatist, but at this point you almost start thinking of who on the staff do you try to retain in order to have some continuity recruiting. My top two would be Daost and Acosta. Would Eric White be affected by a staff change, or is his role considered more administrative within the athletic department?

Crusty from what I heard this morning Syracuse and the bot are completely committed to the program.
Let's hope they know what that really entails. Often times that is not the case.

How about Josh Altman??
I would be happy with one good real estate referral from Mr. Altman. He must know someone who wants to fly down from LA and have a home here in the Phoenix are. And I will donate 10% of my commission to the football program on that referral.

Crusty said:
Who said anything about a blank check? We are talking about paying the ACC median! If Coyle took the job without proper budget he is a fool. So long as he stayed within that amount it is his call. If he hires some retread or wip because he didn't negotiate his deal properly we will be a doormat for a long time.
Not sure who peed in your Cheerios this morning, but your original post was essentially a demand of Coyle to spend enough money to get it right or don't bother at all.

Just trying to point out, The parameters in how much to spend aren't set by Coyle. Your open plea is best directed at the BOT and the chancellor. I think that's the only point people are trying to make.

Coyle didn't take the job if he didn't think the parameters were adequate, and as others pointed out...the leverage here isn't with the AD to demand the proper budget, the BOT demanded of Coyle that they approve his short list.

If you think that Coyle just shows up one day and tells Syverud...hey this is who were getting and the money is within the parameters, your mistaken. It doesn't work that way.

Not sure who peed in your Cheerios this morning, but your original post was essentially a demand of Coyle to spend enough money to get it right or don't bother at all.

Just trying to point out, The parameters in how much to spend aren't set by Coyle.

Your open plea is best directed at the BOT and the chancellor. I think that's the only point people are trying to make.

Coyle didn't take the job if he didn't think the parameters were adequate, and as others pointed out...the leverage here isn't with the AD to demand the proper budget, the BOT demanded of Coyle that they approve his short list.

I am trying to point out thàt if Coyle does not spend the budget or does not go back for more if that is required that is on him.
If the Chancellor and or board renege on assurances they gave him or fail to pony up more, if required, then that would be on them.

If you are not going to spend the requisite money to hire a competitive professional staff this year, please don't bother us until you will.

Easy to say. Shafer is one of the lowest paid P5 coaches.

Next guy is also going to be a hire and hope at those comp levels.

Not only is it going to be a hire and hope, but it will have to be a guy that no other P5 school wants since they almost all pay more than we do.

Not exactly a recipe for success.

You are not finding a diamond in the rough, you are finding a needle in a haystack.

Last edited:
That could be interesting, even if it is nothing more than a symbolic gesture to have run of the mill fans pony up.

That's different than ticket sales. There's a transaction there. This kind of a funding drive... interesting to consider.

We should start our own IPTAY like Clemson.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom